Gen 3 Insight Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Thanks for the info. It has been said more than once that many obscure problems with the behavior of electronic devices that operate on 12 volts are associated with a 12 volt battery. For any problems, it is worth checking the condition of the 12 volt battery.

·
Registered
107 Posts
This not normal.
Check the following:
1. Visually inspect the radiators for clogging of the cells with dirt, plant fluff and insects.
2. You need to check the 12 volt battery level again. If it is discharged, then you need to look for the reason why. Problems can be both in charge and in increased consumption by one of the consumers (that's why I entered point 1).
3.High voltage battery vent must be open.

Well, if this does not work, then you need to go to the dealer and let them look for the cause by checking:
1.12 volt battery
2.Charging a 12 volt battery
3. Consumption in the 12 volt circuit of all significant consumers (air conditioner, radiator fans, high-voltage battery cooling, ....)
4.Checking the high-voltage battery cooling system for operability. (air flow, fan operation, cleanliness, etc.)

·
Registered
107 Posts
I experienced this same situation before after coming off the highway, too. Just not on a 2 hour trip but more like a 20 minute trip in the Winter. I went to switch to EV mode at the stop light but my Insight just said EV mode is not available and kept charging the battery to full. This happened 2 or so years ago but I don't think mine had the "Battery temperature at limit" part.
In this case, the EV mode did not turn on, most likely due to the fact that the engine was not warm enough.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Honda Type 2 coolant must be added to the engine reservoir to a level close to the upper (maximum) mark in the reservoir (but not higher). For one thing, check the level in the tank of the inverter.
Let me express my opinion on the problem with overheating of the high-voltage battery.
There are two things to check first:
1. Correct operation of the high-voltage battery cooling system. And these are its temperature sensors and the operation of the battery fan itself.
2. Correct operation of the 12 volt battery charge. Moreover, both the charge mode (it may not charge correctly), and check the consumption load (there may be excessive consumption).
With a high probability, the problem is in these places.
Have your Honda dealer check these subsystems. In fact, your protection system is triggered (real or erroneous - they need to find out) overheating of the high-voltage battery. And if the temperature really rises, then this negatively affects the elements of the high-voltage battery and they degrade faster.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts