Gen 3 Insight Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX
I hope it's a simple fix for you and covered under the battery warranty.
He should be covered under the emissions warranty for these two items. 15 years/150k miles for living in one of the CARB states (MA).
Font Brand Electric blue Logo Graphics

I'm not sure if it helps but when I vacuum the interior I also vacuum the battery air vent to clean out possible dust.

Reactions: pasei

Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX
Thanks guys, so we can all agree it is abnormal given my driving conditions?
Yeah, definitely not normal. Honda and other automakers test prototypes in extreme cold and hot temps. The Insight is even sold in Mexico so the battery shouldn't be overheating at the temps you described.

Honda has a test facility in the Mojave Desert.

Your symptoms sound very similar to the person in the Accord forum that @jensight linked. Most likely the battery module temperature sensor went bad.

I don't have kids/pets or friends :LOL:, so the rear seats are virtually never used. There should not be any dust but I'll vacuum anyways ;-)
Same, but I get dust and pollen in my car from having windows down or the wind blowing it in when I have my door open. It looks like you've some dust on your speedometer display. 馃槈

Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX
Ugh -- made an appointment online but they only had a spot in ten days (Honda Everett). Will I have a better chance if I call them? Like do they have earlier appointment for real problems? @andrew28
New owner has the appointments in sync with Honda's online scheduling. Previous owner I normally was able to get an earlier appointment by calling even if online showed fully booked. You might be able to get an earlier appointment by calling if a booked appointment was recently cancelled.

Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX
Besides possible temperature sensor or fan failure. There's another possible reason why EV mode is not available. @Mobilcams provided a good explanation about this in the past.

Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX
It's looking more likely the solution to your problem is the same as the person with the Accord Hybrid @jensight linked earlier in the thread. Keep us updated. (y)

Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX
If it's the battery module fan or temp sensor you're good for 15 years/150k miles in MA. Doesn't hurt to ask if you can get this noted in writing for future purposes in case it turns out to be something else.

Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX
This is what you get with the dealership model of servicing vehicles. The service advisor isn't there to help solve car troubles. He's a salesman but in the service department to sell you expensive repairs. If you're not there to pay for repairs you're wasting his time cause he has quotas to meet. The ones that don't sell enough repairs won't be there the next time you visit. Warranty repairs don't pay as much as a regular customer repair. So if the service department is having a busy month they would rather do as little warranty related repairs.

The techs are paid a high hourly rate so it's in the dealerships best interest to have techs working on higher paying customer repairs. Also diagnosing a vehicle with an issue that can't be replicated right there hurts the bottom line. The automaker doesn't pay the dealership unless the issue is found and a claim is made for a repair. The tech still needs to be paid for the time trying to find the problem. This is pretty much the reason why most people feel ignored when bringing up vehicle issues at a dealership. Dealerships have every reason to avoid warranty related repairs. It doesn't make financial sense to them.

Your best bet would be to talk directly to a tech if you can get the service manager to arrange that for you. A tech doesn't have to sell you anything or require to in order to get paid. They would be able to explain what they can do better on a technical level and hear your full description of the problem. The hard task is being able to speak directly with one since dealerships like to put a service advisor as a barrier between the tech and the customer. As I explained earlier, a service advisor in most situations isn't looking out for your interest.

Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX
I refused, because this only happened one time out of eight 2-hr trips I have taken in the last 2 months so the odds that it happens again are super low, especially if they drive in boston traffic at low speed.
The fact it's not consistent and it only happened once out of 8 trips so far opens the possibility it was purging emissions or prioritizing the battery health due to driving conditions at that moment. If the high voltage battery system was truly overheating you would start seeing the power system indicator light come on. Along with reduce acceleration power and go into limp mode.

How did your battery get charged to 100%? Was it mostly through the gas engine or were you going down a long mountain/hill? If the mountain/hill descent was steep enough I could see the regeneration system charging the battery at such a high rate it would've overheated the battery but not severely enough to go into limp mode.

But anyways, it's pretty sad what you're saying. I thought buying a brand new car would free me of all issues... I guess my (our) biggest mistake was buying the least sold Honda ever (?)... not enough people to report problems...
Vehicles are complex mechanical objects with many parts from different suppliers. You can't really expect any vehicle even a new one to not have some problems down the road. Buying a more popular model wouldn't really change much. It's still up to the automaker to decide whether they want to acknowledge a problem indeed does exist. They could brush it off if the percentage is small enough to be within acceptable margin of failure even if it impacts thousands of owners. That's why you often see automakers getting hit with class action lawsuits for various car models.

I'm still as happy with my Insight as when I got it almost 4 years ago. All I ever spent on it was regular maintenance and detailing stuff. I'm gonna finally get new tires for it this Winter and hope it drives better than new. :)

Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX
So when it happened, I had gone off the highway with maybe 5 bars, and then gradually it went to 10 bars, on virtually flat land. I think the battery was basically just charging during when breaking, and not discharging when accelerating. Can't be 100% sure though. But no downhill for sure.
I experienced this same situation before after coming off the highway, too. Just not on a 2 hour trip but more like a 20 minute trip in the Winter. I went to switch to EV mode at the stop light but my Insight just said EV mode is not available and kept charging the battery to full. This happened 2 or so years ago but I don't think mine had the "Battery temperature at limit" part.

Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX
In this case, the EV mode did not turn on, most likely due to the fact that the engine was not warm enough.
Pretty sure my engine was warm after driving 20 minutes on the highway. 馃槄

Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX
Is the engine coolant used in any ways to cool the HV battery?
Engine coolant is just for the engine. HV Battery is air cooled only. There's a separate coolant for the inverter though.

I also had the engine coolant run low on me in the reserve tank 2 years ago. I'm assuming loose cap from the factory because it stayed the same since the top off.

Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX

Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX
I... really can't tell these guys at Honda what to do. They are very defensive. And I am quite a polite dude. Last time I tried the advisor was like "yeah yeah we'll figure it out".
I recommend you speak to Taylor, she's one of the service managers at Honda Everett. She's always been very helpful if I had an issue that wasn't able to be solve after my first visit to the dealership. As suggested by @Carfreak09, record a video of your problem and request to speak to a tech. Show the tech your problem and that you might think it's a faulty battery temp monitor or fan. Don't pester them too much what you think the solution might be and let them do their job.
Unless the message on the dashboard is wrong. As a reminder, this is the message that appears when pressing the EV button. I doubt they put their finest engineers on that... they really just need to tell something - anything really - to the driver as of why EV mode won't happen.
I remember reading a Honda service bulletin a few years ago sent to Honda certified body shops. They had a reminder to body shop mechanics to not rely on icons/errors that show up in the dash. Do a full diagnostic scan with a Honda provided tool after all repairs. The reason is because it's not possible for Honda to fit all the icons and possible error messages they want behind the dash. Hence you've things like a loose gas cap could trigger a check engine light.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts