Gen 3 Insight Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Thanks Lavash. Do you know where is the HV battery vent?
This isn’t something you can easily check unless he means the vent below the rear seat cushion. The other vent is somewhere on the bottom of the car in front of the driver side rear wheel. Air is pulled in by the fan and exhausted out a tube, just like the exhaust fan for a bathroom. I doubt you will want to get under the car. Unless that tube is completely clogged with mud from a flood, I highly doubt that’s your issue. While the dealer has the seat off to fix your seatbelt, tell them you want the temperature sensor and fan system checked due to this recurring battery temp limit warning.

·
Registered
370 Posts
yes -- but the problem happens off the highway at very low speeds or idle.
Ok, your really grasping at straws with this theory. It seems like you are looking for problems in areas that would be totally unrelated to a too hot battery message. Radiator fans generally do NOT turn on until the coolant exceeds around 220ish. So, at 203, I would not expect to find the fan on. Your car can’t possibly be critically low on coolant with no warnings. For a car to be low on coolant, it would need a leak, which you would either see with unexplained puddles under the car or smell the very distinctive sweet smell of coolant coming in the vents. And even if you did have a coolant leak, it would have absolutely nothing to do with the HV battery getting hot. While the coolant tank shouldn’t be low, it only represents the reserve overflow. The radiator, hoses, pump and engine block holds the vast majority of the fluid. Top it up and monitor the level.
As for the EVAP purge, it’s not just open or closed. The ECU determines when and how much to open the valve. If the valve was not operating correctly, you would get a code for that, as well as potential engine running issues. Your problem is with the battery control system/temp sensor, not the engine.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I... really can't tell these guys at Honda what to do. They are very defensive. And I am quite a polite dude. Last time I tried the advisor was like "yeah yeah we'll figure it out".
Sometimes you have to get a little firm. Video what happens when you press the EV button and show it to the service advisor. If he seems dismissive, ask to speak with the service manager. When talking with him, explain that you haven’t received a fix to this issue and something is obviously wrong if it keeps popping up this message and ask if you can please show the video to the actual technician and explain to the tech when it happens. At the very least, get it DOCUMENTED in the papers given to you that you have brought this issue up more than once so that if an actual failure happens later, there will be no hemming and hawing from Honda on fixing it under warranty.

The message is tripped by the temperature sensor. There’s one of 3 possibilities: Despite the fan working correctly, the battery or inverter is getting momentarily too hot due to an internal short somewhere or from being charged rapidly by slowing down from high speed on a lengthy exit (The second part is the likeliest explanation). The temp sensor or its wiring is shorting out, triggering a false message. OR the battery/fan control module has some sort of internal short/failure. Electronics can be VERY finicky.

Personally, I would just not press the EV button under these circumstances. I’ve only used the button once since I’ve owned the car. The car’s battery is too small to really get much electric only range out of it so it seems silly to force the car to run on battery only unless your slowly cruising in a 25mph neighborhood. If the car is operating fine otherwise, is it worth your sanity to worry about this erroneous message (assuming the dealer is unable to find anything wrong after a second time)?

Reactions: andrew28
1 - 3 of 3 Posts