Gen 3 Insight Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX
2,999 Posts
Taking my Insight in on Monday for recall and annual state vehicle inspection.
Got the recall done today and it was just the BCM update for my 19 Insight.

·
Registered
431 Posts
When I initially scheduled the appointment for today, the front desk lady told me 4-6 hours just for the recall update, plus I was doing an alignment.

When I took it into service today at 7:30, they said my car will be ready around 10. So I’m guessing maybe 1hr 15 mins for alignment and the rest the software update.

I’ll have to see when they contact me to pickup car to see how long it will actually take. Plus I get a free car wash at this dealer so not exactly best circumstance to gauge how long it will take just for the software update.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Plus I get a free car wash at this dealer so not exactly best circumstance to gauge how long it will take just for the software update.
I ended up being there 2 hours. Funny story - we bought a Sienna and it came with free maintenance during the warranty period. In the salesman's office there was a framed sign on his desk that said Free Car Wash anytime you had to have service, repairs, etc. At the 5k mile checkup, no car wash. I was told they were too busy. When I made the appointment for the 10k oil change, I specifically said I wanted the car wash. Brought the car in and of course, no car wash - guy who did them was out sick, but I could make an appointment for a free car wash at a later date. The 15k mile checkup, again, no car wash - again too busy. I walked into the salesman's office, took his framed Free Car Wash sign and dropped it in his garbage and I told him it was false advertising. I was not really mad and told him it was not a big deal or worth much, but it was the principle of the thing and he should not have that sign on the desk. For many other more serious reasons, I will never buy from them again.

·
Administrator
4,838 Posts
Funny story - we bought a Sienna and it came with free maintenance during the warranty period. In the salesman's office there was a framed sign on his desk that said Free Car Wash anytime you had to have service, repairs, etc.
My Honda dealer offers car wash with service, but they're up front about it being shut down in winter months for liability reasons. It's also one of those automated tunnel washers with rotating brushes, so I actually decline the wash unless/until I get to the point (like on my older Hondas) where I no longer panic about scratches on the car.

·
Registered
57 Posts
My Honda dealer offers car wash with service, but they're up front about it being shut down in winter months for liability reasons. It's also one of those automated tunnel washers with rotating brushes, so I actually decline the wash unless/until I get to the point (like on my older Hondas) where I no longer panic about scratches on the car.
The Toyota dealer gave hand washes. I agree, I don't use auto car washes until the scratches overwhelm me.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Hello, is it just me or does anyone notice that the ride is slightly quieter after the BCM update?
I don’t know if the update has anything to do with improving noise cancelling.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Relay Control Module Issues After BCM Software Recall

Hello Friends, I have a 2020 Insight EX with 4900 miles on it. I bought the car June of this year.

About a week ago I noticed my car had been listed for the BCM software recall. I took my car into the dealer last Saturday, even though I had not experienced any issues with the car at all. The dealer installed the following software update:

C/S: 20-124:6PU00.2020-21 Multi-Model DC-DC Converter PCU SW Update

A couple days after the update I started experiencing headlight and interior light malfunctions. My passenger headlight began flickering and sometimes stopped working completely. My interior lights began shutting off intermittently. An error message appeared reading "Headlight system problem. Headlight performance may be reduced. See your Dealer."

I took the car back to the dealer and they told me that I have a Relay Control Module CPU error and that I need a new Relay Control Module (RCM). They said that these issues are unrelated to the BCM software update.

About an hour after leaving the dealer for the second time, I noticed that my turn signals were no longer working. I called my service manager and he was shocked to hear the news. He is ordering the new RCM for me and will be installing it Tuesday, he says it should solve the turn signal issue as well. I’m concerned that these issues may be related to the BCM software update I received a week ago. I did not experience any problems until shortly after receiving the software update and so I fear the update may have triggered something else to malfunction. My cameras (both rearview and side) are still working luckily.

So now I pose this question to you. Has anyone here experienced relay control module issues before or after the new BCM software update? What do believe could be the issue here? What other malfunctions have you experienced after the BCM update?

Thanks for reading!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Got mine done yesterday and another recall had shown up that day. Had both installed...
  • NHTSA #20V-771 - Recall #X95 2018-20 Multi-Model BCM Program SW
  • NHTSA #PENDING - Recall #K9E 2020-21 Multi-Model DC-DC Converter
When we called the Honda dealer on 12/18/20 to make an appointment for the BCM recall that we found on HondaLink, the dealer told us about the PCU recall released the previous day 12/17, which had NOT yet appeared on HondaLink. They took just over 4hrs to perform both recall services on 12/19/20. Today, 12/27, the PCU recall showed up on our HondaLink as "incomplete". We'll call the dealer tomorrow to clear up the confusion, but I suspect the dealer's PCU recall service just hasn't caught up with our HondaLink records yet because the recall was so recent.

2020 Insight Touring

·
Administrator
4,838 Posts
About a week ago I noticed my car had been listed for the BCM software recall. I took my car into the dealer last Saturday, even though I had not experienced any issues with the car at all. The dealer installed the following software update:

Maybe I'm missing something... but based on above, it sounds like your car was listed for the BCM software recall, but the PCU software recall was implemented instead.

There are two active software recalls that affect different components and model years:
  • BCM Software Recall (for 2019 to 2020 Insight) - affects electrical systems (e.g. warning lights, rear view camera display, turn signals, windshield wipers)
  • PCU Software Recall (for 2020 to 2021 Insight) - affects DC-DC Converter and 12V battery charging
Note that the 2020 model is potentially affected by both recalls and would need 2 different software updates, if so. Net, maybe ask your dealer to confirm they've installed the BCM update (vs PCU update) before proceeding further with relay control module troubleshooting. Good luck!

·
Administrator
4,838 Posts
When we called the Honda dealer on 12/18/20 to make an appointment for the BCM recall that we found on HondaLink, the dealer told us about the PCU recall released the previous day 12/17, which had NOT yet appeared on HondaLink. They took just over 4hrs to perform both recall services on 12/19/20. Today, 12/27, the PCU recall showed up on our HondaLink as "incomplete". We'll call the dealer tomorrow to clear up the confusion, but I suspect the dealer's PCU recall service just hasn't caught up with our HondaLink records yet because the recall was so recent.
It took about 1 week after actual repair for Honda to remove the fuel pump recall notice from my VIN. A theory is that Honda processes these updates in batch job over weekends. :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Maybe I'm missing something... but based on above, it sounds like your car was listed for the BCM software recall, but the PCU software recall was implemented instead.

There are two active software recalls that affect different components and model years:
  • BCM Software Recall (for 2019 to 2020 Insight) - affects electrical systems (e.g. warning lights, rear view camera display, turn signals, windshield wipers)
  • PCU Software Recall (for 2020 to 2021 Insight) - affects DC-DC Converter and 12V battery charging
Note that the 2020 model is potentially affected by both recalls and would need 2 different software updates, if so. Net, maybe ask your dealer to confirm they've installed the BCM update (vs PCU update) before proceeding further with relay control module troubleshooting. Good luck!
Thanks! Yes I'm going to call the dealer tomorrow and ask him to double check the records. The receipt from the day I got the update says BCM software recall, but only the PCU is listed as you pointed out.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Hello, is it just me or does anyone notice that the ride is slightly quieter after the BCM update?
I don’t know if the update has anything to do with improving noise cancelling.
I just got mine done this morning 12/30. And did notice it is a lot quieter and rattles a lot less with the subwoofer as well. They had my car for about a 1 hr 15 min' as well. Funny there was a multi-point inspection listed as well as the recall. Wondering if they didn't make adjustments to soundproofing from the engine compartment or trunk. I feel the overall ride is quite smooth. Checked the air pressure in the tires when I got back home and it had not changed significantly. Something to keep an eye on for sure.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I just had my two recall services done alongside my A1 service (oil change and tire rotation) plus oil filter change. The whole thing took about 2-2.5 hours, so it seems like the recall updates themselves don’t take too long for anyone who is planning on getting it down soon.

·
Registered
207 Posts
My 2019 Insight EX was built 11/18, production number 19,029, purchased on 12/13/2018

I got my BCM update on 12/29. It took two full hours. I've not noticed any effect on vehicle noise or otherwise

·
Registered
35 Posts
Relay Control Module Issues After BCM Software Recall

Hello Friends, I have a 2020 Insight EX with 4900 miles on it. I bought the car June of this year.

A couple days after the update I started experiencing headlight and interior light malfunctions. My passenger headlight began flickering and sometimes stopped working completely. My interior lights began shutting off intermittently. An error message appeared reading "Headlight system problem. Headlight performance may be reduced. See your Dealer."

I took the car back to the dealer and they told me that I have a Relay Control Module CPU error and that I need a new Relay Control Module (RCM). They said that these issues are unrelated to the BCM software update.

About an hour after leaving the dealer for the second time, I noticed that my turn signals were no longer working. I called my service manager and he was shocked to hear the news. He is ordering the new RCM for me and will be installing it Tuesday, he says it should solve the turn signal issue as well. I’m concerned that these issues may be related to the BCM software update I received a week ago. I did not experience any problems until shortly after receiving the software update and so I fear the update may have triggered something else to malfunction. My cameras (both rearview and side) are still working luckily.

So now I pose this question to you. Has anyone here experienced relay control module issues before or after the new BCM software update? What do believe could be the issue here? What other malfunctions have you experienced after the BCM update?

Thanks for reading!
OK so this is a really big deal and I hope they did not screw up your car BUT the car needs to be connected to a power source the entire time the update is done in order to avoid damage to the car's computer and I hope they did not damage your car's computer. I would find this information and speak to them about it and make them replace the computer if they did not have the power source hooked up correctly.
Can you update us with the results of what happened?

·
Administrator
4,838 Posts
OK so this is a really big deal and I hope they did not screw up your car BUT the car needs to be connected to a power source the entire time the update is done in order to avoid damage to the car's computer and I hope they did not damage your car's computer. I would find this information and speak to them about it and make them replace the computer if they did not have the power source hooked up correctly.
Can you update us with the results of what happened?
Agree... Honda makes a big point in the BCM software repair instructions of having a fully charged/healthy battery and connecting to power source for the 20 minute software update.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Please see my Post #17 above for background

This afternoon when I started my 2019 Insight EX I got this message on the bottom of the touch screen: "System update is ready to be installed"

What might this be concerning ?

1 - 20 of 54 Posts