Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Administrator
4,505 Posts
This afternoon when I started my 2019 Insight EX I got this message on the bottom of the touch screen: "System update is ready to be installed"

What might this be concerning ?
It sounds like the notice for infotainment system software update which is a DIY / over-the-air update (versus dealer-installed).

Did you previously install the software update when it came out in earily April 2020, or is this a new/first message for you? The latest software version is 18AE-2071-001, while the older/original software version was 18AE-1945-001.

You can check which version you have using either of the following menu paths:
  • HOME --> System Updates --> Settings --> Version Status
  • HOME --> Settings --> System --> About --> Build Number

·
Registered
176 Posts
It sounds like the notice for infotainment system software update which is a DIY / over-the-air update (versus dealer-installed).

Did you previously install the software update when it came out in earily April 2020, or is this a new/first message for you? The latest software version is 18AE-2071-001, while the older/original software version was 18AE-1945-001.

You can check which version you have using either of the following menu paths:
  • HOME --> System Updates --> Settings --> Version Status
  • HOME --> Settings --> System --> About --> Build Number
I never got a message to update in April. My version is 18AE-1945-001. If over-the-air update means via a smart phone I don't have one. I can update via flash drive, but wonder if I need to since I never use GPS navigation. Guide me brother

·
Administrator
4,505 Posts
I never got a message to update in April. My version is 18AE-1945-001. If over-the-air update means via a smart phone I don't have one. I can update via flash drive, but wonder if I need to since I never use GPS navigation. Guide me brother
There are 3 ways to update, none of which require smart phone: WiFi, USB, or thru your dealer. Steps on system update are in OM19 pp 278-283, and there are some videos and descriptions on page 2 of the Infotainment Software Update thread.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Took my '19 EX to the dealer today for BCM update. I had already scheduled for 2:00 pm. I arrived at the service department at 1:55 pm, checked in with the service department and sat in the customer lounge at 1:59 pm. At 2:35 pm, the service advisor gave me the keys and said they were finished with the update. Took only 35 minutes!!!

·
Super Moderator
2019 OWP Insight EX
1,355 Posts
I'm going for the fuel pump and BCM update on Thursday. They needed to order the fuel pump. I was told they'd need the car for the day. I'm at 28 miles-to-empty, so the fuel pump work should be easier for them. I'm not sure if we should expect any noticeable difference after the BCM software update. I love my Insight the way it is. I hope nothing changes!

·
Registered
64 Posts
I took mine in to the only Honda dealer in my City and they would only do the BCM Recall. Refused to do the PCU as Honda Canada "hasn't sent anything yet." Not impressed with them at all, and as you can see below its not even listed on the Honda My Garage Page.

My buying experience wasn't good and now having service issues. They also did not order or install the door visors I requested, and that were on the work order.

For all my paid service I'll be driving the extra 30 min to the Honda dealer down the road... But hey, they sorta washed my car... :p

·
Administrator
4,505 Posts
I took mine in to the only Honda dealer in my City and they would only do the BCM Recall. Refused to do the PCU as Honda Canada "hasn't sent anything yet." Not impressed with them at all, and as you can see below its not even listed on the Honda My Garage Page.
Maybe (hopefully?) you're not affected by the PCU Software Recall (?). The PCU Recall is listed on the Transport Canada site as of 12/17/20 (Recall # 2020-626), which was same timing as US/NHTSA announcement.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Maybe (hopefully?) you're not affected by the PCU Software Recall (?). The PCU Recall is listed on the Transport Canada site as of 12/17/20 (Recall # 2020-626), which was same timing as US/NHTSA announcement.
My 2020 Touring should be affected. They just refused to do the software patch until Honda Canada authorizes it.

My Honda Link app only lists the BCM currently as well.

·
Registered
64 Posts
You were right. I spoke with a Service Manager from Western Honda in Moose Jaw, SK (Great City name) and he stated:

"According to a vin search your Insight does not fall into the Vin range of this Recall."

They also gave me a deal on Window Vent Visors that the other dealer refused to order

·
Administrator
4,505 Posts
You were right. I spoke with a Service Manager from Western Honda in Moose Jaw, SK (Great City name) and he stated:

"According to a vin search your Insight does not fall into the Vin range of this Recall."

They also gave me a deal on Window Vent Visors that the other dealer refused to order
That's great news on both fronts. The PCU Software recall in Canada (#2020-626) 'only' affected 600 Accords/Insights, while the BCM Software recall in Canada (#2020-611) affected 33150 Accords/Insights.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Got my BCM update done last week. Was able to schedule it for 4 p.m. and the customer lounge was emptied out. (quiet place to read and enjoy a hot chocolate). Was done just under an hour (in contrast to my all-morning fuel pump recall.

I also noted a quiet soft ride in my Touring after the work was done. Alas, after putting 30 highway miles on my TPMS went off (at first I feared road debris when I crossed a dividing line to merge), but I found all my tires in the low 30s after highway driving in the winter (30 degree day) and the caps all barely hanging on. I appreciated that the dealership did run through a multi-point inspection (nothing found) and topped off fluids, but air pressure check was done in a warm garage.

Have bumped by tires back to 2-3 psi above Honda rec on the door and will see whether I'll adjust based on mileage and ride. Cold tires/suspension in city driving is a rough ride...but I think there's room to play with to balance comfort, mpg, and protection of wheels.

One other note after the BCM recall (or after the multi-point inspection), expect that your auto headlights and wipers to all be set to off. Don't be caught driving around with your headlights off. :) It is nice though that the porters leave the mirrors untouched.

·
Super Moderator
2019 OWP Insight EX
1,355 Posts
I dropped my Insight off tonight for BCM and fuel pump recall work to be done tomorrow. This is it's first night away from home without me. I'm a little nervous!

But seriously, it will feel good to have this work out of the way. When I dropped off the car, I got compliments from several of the people in the service department on how well kept it is. It does look new still, but I was surprised to hear their compliments. Don't they see cars all day? That said, my wife's '18 Civic looks like the inside of a garbage can.

I'll have my Insight back tomorrow. I'm a little worried about the BCM update based on @Verdier's and others' observations. Hopefully the EX trim won't have an issue with funky stuff.

·
Super Moderator
2019 OWP Insight EX
1,355 Posts
One other note after the BCM recall (or after the multi-point inspection), expect that your auto headlights and wipers to all be set to off. Don't be caught driving around with your headlights off. :) It is nice though that the porters leave the mirrors untouched.
The wipers being set to off I can understand. If one had previously set them that way, and they were then turned on, anyone entering a tunnel wash would have a bad day. It's liability on the dealer's part. Not sure how the auto-lights fit in though. That's a physical setting on the signal stalk that could easily be reset if they noted it prior to the work being done.

·
Registered
378 Posts
The wipers being set to off I can understand. If one had previously set them that way, and they were then turned on, anyone entering a tunnel wash would have a bad day. It's liability on the dealer's part. Not sure how the auto-lights fit in though. That's a physical setting on the signal stalk that could easily be reset if they noted it prior to the work being done.
That's easy, they have to let your computer run with the update for 20 minutes.. Having the lights (even LEDs) run for 20 minutes could run the battery down so turn them off..

·
Super Moderator
2019 OWP Insight EX
1,355 Posts
BCM recall was done today (along with fuel pump recall). I swear my Insight is quieter than is was before the recall. Probably not, but one can dream.

@Verdier - auto-brights work the same as they did pre-recall in my EX.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I can't imagine there is any connection between my BCM update (performed 12/29/20) and my current indicated MPG.

But I'm seeing 32 MPG now, which is lower than my usual lowest reading of 42 MPG. What might have happened ?

·
Administrator
4,505 Posts
I can't imagine there is any connection between my BCM update (performed 12/29/20) and my current indicated MPG.

But I'm seeing 32 MPG now, which is lower than my usual lowest reading of 42 MPG. What might have happened ?
On which screen are you seeing the fuel economy result/difference (e.g. Range/Fuel DII, Avg Fuel Economy DII, Power/Flow on infotainment)? Could your trip meter have gotten reset?

For the separate fuel pump recall, some found fuel economy and range results temporarily reporting lower numbers until enough driving data was accumulated after fuel pump calibration/reset.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Did notice that when I had to jump my Insight due to 12V battery problems (related to BCM update??? unsure) that I saw that the jump/fuse box cover was left lying on top of the engine block. I don't think it popped off by itself - I figure tech forgot to use their checklist to put it back on.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I'm seeing MPG on the screen with Range, Ave Fuel and A Miles. My A miles auto returns to 0 when I fill tank (which I did recently)

I haven't done the fuel pump recall (no notice received yet). My driving since BCM recall has been all in-town at about 30 MPH

My MPG now down to 30

21 - 40 of 46 Posts