Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Realized I had posted to "new forum member" but hadn't done so to "new owners."

Bought my 2019 Insight Touring (cosmic blue) used after keeping an eye out on Cars.com given that my 2007 Civic EX sedan was starting to get loud (road/wind noise) and disappointing in mileage.

My Insight popped up at a Mazda dealership that got it as a trade-in from an owner who wanted to move to a larger vehicle.

I think it was 3 months old with 3K miles.

Was able to get a good deal (I think) given it was end of February when they wanted to clear inventory and business was slow since it still cold in Chicagoland (though we had no ice/snow). Also negotiated based on other listings across the country of Tourings being sold at non-Honda dealerships with low miles. (There were also a bunch of EX Insights being listed during the tail end of winter).

Was surprised that Cosmic Blue was so dark...might have considered Aegean instead (esp. with the dark leather rather than the ivory in the Cosmic). But my 2007 Civic was a dark blue pearl...

Car was in great shape and MaxSpider 3D mats along with Honda trunk tray and splash guards - until I initiated it with some curb rash.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Congrats on the Cosmic Blue. I've seen video of it, and I like that color. Has to be very clean to be appreciated.

Curb rash? Oh man. My front end is starting to take a beating. Last winter some yahoo pickup truck from PA drove off the Interstate passing lane into the dirt, salt, mud and stones for a distance of more than a few hundred feet when I tried to pass and he blocked my way. Real nasty guy. That debris left my font end chipped and scarred for life. I bought the touchup paint from the dealer, but it just doesn't look "new" any more. Then one day in the mountains I went through an intersection with a rather abrupt change in road grade that road-rashed the underside of the front bumper below the port holes. :eek: Ouch! That hurt! (the boat sank) I did my best to sand and paint, and it looks much better. Still, with this low ground clearance you have to be extra careful.

Word of caution for White Orchid Pearl owners...You may not want to apply the clear coat after the touchup paint. I did in one spot, and it darkened that area badly. Just a small dot of white paint looks much better. ;)

Phil

·
Registered
47 Posts
I appreciate the tip about the clear coat! I was just about to do some touch up on my first rock chip. The first one always hurts the most.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Congrats on the Cosmic Blue. I've seen video of it, and I like that color. Has to be very clean to be appreciated.

Curb rash? Oh man. My front end is starting to take a beating. Last winter some yahoo pickup truck from PA drove off the Interstate passing lane into the dirt, salt, mud and stones for a distance of more than a few hundred feet when I tried to pass and he blocked my way. Real nasty guy. That debris left my font end chipped and scarred for life. I bought the touchup paint from the dealer, but it just doesn't look "new" any more. Then one day in the mountains I went through an intersection with a rather abrupt change in road grade that road-rashed the underside of the front bumper below the port holes. :eek: Ouch! That hurt! (the boat sank) I did my best to sand and paint, and it looks much better. Still, with this low ground clearance you have to be extra careful.

Phil
With the highway miles we put on our Insight, I'm expecting the chips to come on the front end and I'll probably only touch up the ones that get down to the metal. I'll also expect the rash from under the nose, more due to high parking blocks and curbs - but I'm ok as long as it the marks remain underneath the "chin". It's a longer car than my 2007 Civic, and if I have bikes on the hitch rack, I try to minimize how much it is hanging out of a parking spot. If only there was a camera at the front end (like the back), to park as close as reasonable without guessing or getting out of the car to check.

Trying my best to keep the cosmic blue clean - once dirty, it just looks like a space gray - even in the right lighting. New wax job should help - car wash after the highway trip this week should hopefully give it the final shine, taking off the remaining wax marks I missed.

Being in Chicago - door dings (occasional PDR will take care of them) and bumper marks will come (the more complicated paint of the Insight will raise the cost of repainting this). For now, I continue to park away from others as much as I can.

·
Super Moderator
2,700 Posts
For now, I continue to park away from others as much as I can.
The amount of time I waste circling a crowded parking lot just to avoid door dings.:rolleyes: If I see a SUV, Truck, or Sedan in a condition that seems to indicate the owner doesn't care about their own vehicle then I don't park next to them. Even in parking lots where I have the ability to park far away someone manages to park next to me. The most scariest was sometime last week when I came back to a shopping cart parked near my Insight even though I left it with no cars or carts next to it. Luckily no dings on my car and the cart was facing parallel to my Insight.

·
Super Moderator
4,088 Posts
The amount of time I waste circling a crowded parking lot just to avoid door dings.:rolleyes: If I see a SUV, Truck, or Sedan in a condition that seems to indicate the owner doesn't care about their own vehicle then I don't park next to them. Even in parking lots where I have the ability to park far away someone manages to park next to me. The most scariest was sometime last week when I came back to a shopping cart parked near my Insight even though I left it with no cars or carts next to it. Luckily no dings on my car and the cart was facing parallel to my Insight.
The problem I find is depending on how long I'm away from my car, choosing even the 'best' car to park next to (or away from) doesn't guarantee success. I still make an effort to park 'strategically' but it doesn't always pay off. #G3InsightCarMagnet

1 - 6 of 6 Posts