Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everyday, I'm killing my mpg by getting on the highway with a cold engine. Immediately when I leave work I have this short and steep ramp to a major highway, then immediately after the ramp, the highway is also uphill. All of this results in about 28 MPG average when finally reaching 65mph.

What are the best way to do it? Try to have the battery charged before that (meaning Sport mode before arriving to work?)? Accelerate hard for a short amount of time? Or accelerate as slow as possible (quite hard with incoming traffic)? Sports, ECON, normal mode?

·
Super Moderator
2,339 Posts
You don't want to accelerate hard with a cold engine. I would give the battery a full charge before arriving to work a try.

·
Super Moderator
3,319 Posts
Everyday, I'm killing my mpg by getting on the highway with a cold engine. Immediately when I leave work I have this short and steep ramp to a major highway, then immediately after the ramp, the highway is also uphill. All of this results in about 28 MPG average when finally reaching 65mph.

What are the best way to do it? Try to have the battery charged before that (meaning Sport mode before arriving to work?)? Accelerate hard for a short amount of time? Or accelerate as slow as possible (quite hard with incoming traffic)? Sports, ECON, normal mode?
High HV battery charge is what I prefer in the scenarios you described. How 'immediate' is the highway on-ramp, and how long (total time or total distance) are you accelerating uphill? If the total distance is >3 miles, it will be hard to pre-build enough battery charge to carry you through that time/distance/speed, and I'd suggest Sport mode until you get past the hills.

I have a semi-similar situation on my daily drive, in that ~1 mile after leaving I climb a hill for ~2 miles. It's painful (noisy) when I don't have enough HV battery charge, but I can't keep charge high enough before the hill due to the 1 mile stretch consuming battery. (This is where I wish there was a 'save battery use for later' reserve button, rather than the default hybrid logic.)

I vary my approach depending on the traffic/speed I travel the hill. If there's traffic (<45 mph) I keep it in Eco; if I travel at higher speed, I put it in Sport to both pre-build battery and use the charge to conquer the hill. Higher speed consumes battery faster, and I've found Sport to be best for this. Once I'm past the hill, I put everything back into Eco.

A couple other thoughts/tips for your situation...

1 - Maximize your mpg on the 'downhill' trip (aka "what goes up must come down"). Lower mpg due to hill climbing is a fact of life for a hybrid, but there is a 'downhill' benefit you can try maximizing. On the downhill section of my daily drive, I get ~65 mpg (best-ever was 96 mpg). On the return drive I get ~35-45 mpg. I try to get as much mpg as I can on the downhill portion to offset the hurt that I know will be coming on the other end.

2 - Consider an alternate route. Is there an on-ramp that is less 'immediate' or helps you bypass the hill section or travel the hill at a lower speed? Putting less speed/hill demand on the car should also help mpg.

·
Registered
836 Posts

Take advantage of this, if the engine is A)Cold and B) You have to climb terrain that would normally result in ICE use. The gas mileage loss is minimized vs having a warm engine, or you didn't have to climb and accelerate, and the engine wouldn't have normally been engaged.

This isn't the "hyper-miler" handbook approach, but if the ICE was going to be engaged anyways, might as well be using it to heat the engine and climb terrain. Don't look at the short term fuel mileage, it doesn't matter, if you final trip mpg is consistent, regardless of how you conquered the hill, then you did well, and the car did its job.

Put the car in sport mode, build up your SOC while climbing, and reap the long term benefit.

·
Registered
836 Posts
One other thought, at least you don't pull out of your parking lot then sit at a traffic signal for 2 minutes. ICE kicks on and you've gone 1500 feet with an average fuel mileage of 4.5mpg or less. At least in your scenario, you've A) Gone somewhere, B) 700% more efficient than sitting at a stop light.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
High HV battery charge is what I prefer in the scenarios you described. How 'immediate' is the highway on-ramp, and how long (total time or total distance) are you accelerating uphill? If the total distance is >3 miles, it will be hard to pre-build enough battery charge to carry you through that time/distance/speed, and I'd suggest Sport mode until you get past the hills.

I have a semi-similar situation on my daily drive, in that ~1 mile after leaving I climb a hill for ~2 miles. It's painful (noisy) when I don't have enough HV battery charge, but I can't keep charge high enough before the hill due to the 1 mile stretch consuming battery. (This is where I wish there was a 'save battery use for later' reserve button, rather than the default hybrid logic.)

I vary my approach depending on the traffic/speed I travel the hill. If there's traffic (<45 mph) I keep it in Eco; if I travel at higher speed, I put it in Sport to both pre-build battery and use the charge to conquer the hill. Higher speed consumes battery faster, and I've found Sport to be best for this. Once I'm past the hill, I put everything back into Eco.

A couple other thoughts/tips for your situation...

1 - Maximize your mpg on the 'downhill' trip (aka "what goes up must come down"). Lower mpg due to hill climbing is a fact of life for a hybrid, but there is a 'downhill' benefit you can try maximizing. On the downhill section of my daily drive, I get ~65 mpg (best-ever was 96 mpg). On the return drive I get ~35-45 mpg. I try to get as much mpg as I can on the downhill portion to offset the hurt that I know will be coming on the other end.

2 - Consider an alternate route. Is there an on-ramp that is less 'immediate' or helps you bypass the hill section or travel the hill at a lower speed? Putting less speed/hill demand on the car should also help mpg.
I have 0.4mi to the ramp, flat. Ramp itself is 0.2mi and them I need maybe 0.5mi the get to speed on the highway.

Problem is, even if I bank battery on my way to work, it will mostly be depleted by the 0.4mi I need to reach the ramp. Unless I put sports mode on but it feels like a waste.

But yeah it does go downhill after so I'm averaging upper 40s usually, sometimes 50s if I'm lucky. But could be quite higher without these 2 miles at 28mpg.

The road to the other ramp is full of potholes so it's not really an option :(

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
One other thought, at least you don't pull out of your parking lot then sit at a traffic signal for 2 minutes. ICE kicks on and you've gone 1500 feet with an average fuel mileage of 4.5mpg or less. At least in your scenario, you've A) Gone somewhere, B) 700% more efficient than sitting at a stop light.
Actually that happens. And I found that it doesn't really matter. It does feel like a waste, I know, but the engine has to be on at some point right? And overall I don't think it matters. It's just perception.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Actually that happens. And I found that it doesn't really matter. It does feel like a waste, I know, but the engine has to be on at some point right? And overall I don't think it matters. It's just perception.
Depends on the total length of drive. For me it's the difference between 42mpg and 100+mpg (personal best is 172.2) on the way home from my last stop (2 miles). Average is 55-65mpg in clear weather, temperature dependent.

·
Super Moderator
1,067 Posts
If you can, keep it in the blue. The blue band is where the ICE can meet/exceed power requirements. Going over blue with a low SOC will result in you waking up the squirrels under the hood.

When I leave home in the morning with a cold engine, I noticed it will not charge the battery until the engine is warm - about 1-2 miles. If I exceed blue, it will pull from what is left of the battery. If below 3-4 bars, the ICE will wail.

In short, don't ask much of your Insight until the engine is warmed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts