Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally gave up and purchased a Yakima half back trunk style rack. It fits well and I’ve used it several times with no mishaps on the car. I’m going to buy a hitch for my wife’s 2016 CRV and use my old Yakima double down on that.

·
Super Moderator
4,098 Posts
I finally gave up and purchased a Yakima half back trunk style rack. It fits well and I’ve used it several times with no mishaps on the car. I’m going to buy a hitch for my wife’s 2016 CRV and use my old Yakima double down on that.
Could you share pictures of your set-up?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Considering getting a bike rack for my car. One member mentioned he had a Yakima Halfback 2 Bike Carrier Rack which costs about $200. Anyone have additional suggestions?

BTW my current bike rack which, I have not tried, was purchased in 1984 for a Porsche 944. I imagine the straps and padding are a bit old.:sad:

·
Registered
70 Posts
There are not many options for racks on the Insight as of yet, but since the roof line is quite similar to that of the 2018 Civic, you may be able to find something compatible for that. Thule, Yakima and Curt are probably your best bets.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I just put on a Yakima system. Bases and streamline crossbars. You can fit your car out at RackAttack.com. They are expensive and these were just the bases and bars, you still have to get the bike racks themselves. I have Thule criterium 598 racks that hold our 2 bikes really well. All-in, about $1,000 for the whole setup. I wanted something very secure that wouldn't damage or scratch car.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Considering getting a bike rack for my car. One member mentioned he had a Yakima Halfback 2 Bike Carrier Rack which costs about $200. Anyone have additional suggestions?

BTW my current bike rack which, I have not tried, was purchased in 1984 for a Porsche 944. I imagine the straps and padding are a bit old.:sad:
Is that because its still on the 944?

·
Registered
312 Posts
I have a Thule rear-mountable bike rack around here somewhere, but tbh I’ll probably just put down the back seats, lay down some towels, and rest the bike on my plastic OEM trunk tray if I ever decide to go riding. Too paranoid about the rear-mounted racks scratching up or denting my Insight, or having my bike fall off or get clipped by other drivers.

·
Registered
6 Posts
We put my wife’s Yakima fullback 3 on her insight with one bike and it dented the top of her bumper on each side.
Very disappointing because she used this rack on her civic with 3 bikes and no adverse affect. I suspect the insight design involve a lot of “weight saving” and the bumper top was not considered a load bearing surface, so got trimmed structurally.
I have Yakima hitch rack that works great on my vehicle, but not sure we want to put a receiver hitch on the insight.

·
Super Moderator
4,098 Posts
We put my wife’s Yakima fullback 3 on her insight with one bike and it dented the top of her bumper on each side.
Very disappointing because she used this rack on her civic with 3 bikes and no adverse affect. I suspect the insight design involve a lot of “weight saving” and the bumper top was not considered a load bearing surface, so got trimmed structurally.
I have Yakima hitch rack that works great on my vehicle, but not sure we want to put a receiver hitch on the insight.
Sorry to hear about this... Interestingly, the Yakima "vehicle fit" site lists the Fullback 3 (and other models) as compatible with both the Insight and Civic. The sample installation pictures they have for the Insight show the rack resting on the back of the trunk lid. However, only the instructions for the Civic mention that "upper hooks must be changed and installed in anchor mode." Was it the straps that dented the top bumper area on your Insight?

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Sorry to hear about this... Interestingly, the Yakima "vehicle fit" site lists the Fullback 3 (and other models) as compatible with both the Insight and Civic. The sample installation pictures they have for the Insight show the rack resting on the back of the trunk lid. However, only the instructions for the Civic mention that "upper hooks must be changed and installed in anchor mode." Was it the straps that dented the top bumper area on your Insight?
Thanks, very helpful info. The bottom portion was resting on the bumper as was done with her civic. I will try reconfiguring the rack to sit as pictured. However, I am also concerned with the gauge of the steel on the vertical portion of the trunk lid, it deflects a bit with a push of the hand, so may dent there as well. It would also push against license plate frame and potential cause more issues.
I have ordered a 12-inch foam kayak roof carrier block that may work to cushion and disperse the load on the rear bumper. I will put this on the lower bar and post some pics. The challenge here is that my wife needs (wants) to be able to put this on herself at times, so it needs to be doable without scratching up her new baby. :smile:

·
Super Moderator
4,098 Posts
Thanks, very helpful info. The bottom portion was resting on the bumper as was done with her civic. I will try reconfiguring the rack to sit as pictured. However, I am also concerned with the gauge of the steel on the vertical portion of the trunk lid, it deflects a bit with a push of the hand, so may dent there as well. It would also push against license plate frame and potential cause more issues.

I have ordered a 12-inch foam kayak roof carrier block that may work to cushion and disperse the load on the rear bumper. I will put this on the lower bar and post some pics. The challenge here is that my wife needs (wants) to be able to put this on herself at times, so it needs to be doable without scratching up her new baby. :smile:
Good luck, keep us posted!

If you pursue the Fullback 3 install across the rear license plate, there are "silicone license plate frames that may help prevent scratch damage (?). See this thread for discussion and suggested products - https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/564-2019-honda-insight-accessories-add-ons/3014-front-license-plate-frame.html

·
Registered
33 Posts
Has anyone gotten a bike rack for their Honda Insight? I may go on a couple trips and want to bring 2 bikes along. There's a bunch of bike racks on sale on Amazon that attach to the trunk. Has anyone used one and found that it worked well? There's no Insight-specific ones, so any experience would be greatly helpful! Can always use my wife's SUV instead, but interested to hear if the Insight is a possibility. Definitely don't want it to get scratched up though.

·
Super Moderator
4,098 Posts
Has anyone gotten a bike rack for their Honda Insight? I may go on a couple trips and want to bring 2 bikes along. There's a bunch of bike racks on sale on Amazon that attach to the trunk. Has anyone used one and found that it worked well?
Added your question to thread on trunk-mounted bike racks. :)

There is also a separate thread for receiving hitch mounted bike rack (with videos and pictures there by @metalfaceplates), as @brak shared above, and roof rack options shared in another thread if you're interested in exploring options beyond the trunk-mounted option.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I searched but couldn't find a thread on it, guess it was under my nose the whole time. Thanks!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts