Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right now I'm having issue with android auto when I get a message from facebook. When I receive a message, it would try to read it but there's no audio reading it. Also bluetooth music connection is a bit weird, sometimes I get no audio so I have to press fm button and then bluetooth to hear the audio.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Bluetooth blocks phone audio even if car radio is off. I think this is an outright bug, not just a bad "feature".
Phone and car are paired by bluetooth. I am listening to car radio. I pick up phone to send a text message by speaking. Google should prompt me by audio: "is this this the person you want to send to?", then I speak the message and it prompts "you said blah blah blah, would you like to send it?"
The problem is, I do not hear those prompts unless I have the bluetooth connection currently active - that is, unless I am listening to audio using bluetooth.
As stated, if listening to radio, or if radio is turned off, I hear nothing.
Of course bluetooth phone call does work as it should.

Don't even ask about using Android Auto - I think it's pretty awful.

Reactions: shragae

·
Registered
109 Posts
This is very annoying. I get into the car and it establishes Bluetooth connection with my Android phone (Moto G5s+).
If I switch to BT, I can play music from phone or can use Google Assistant (e.g., to send SMS by speaking) or Google Maps can speak directions to me.
But if I am listening to radio, the BT audio remains connected and I hear nothing from my phone. GMaps voice is not heard; feedback from Google Assistant is not heard.
There is no problem with Bluetooth Phone (a different audio channel) - if a call comes in, the audio system switches as it should.

This seems like an obvious flaw. I wonder if the presence of Android app "ReadItToMe" is the cause? It is not currently turned on, but it is installed.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I am an IOS user, but I am reasonably certain Apple Car Play functionality for Google Maps may require the phone be plugged into one of the car's USB ports (at least that is how IOS works). After doing so, you get will see Car Play enabled as you scroll the available apps.

The bluetooth functionality of receiving phone calls, listening to music (from the phone) or using Google Assistant do not require the phone to be plugged in.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I am an IOS user, but I am reasonably certain Apple Car Play functionality for Google Maps may require the phone be plugged into one of the car's USB ports (at least that is how IOS works). After doing so, you get will see Car Play enabled as you scroll the available apps.

The bluetooth functionality of receiving phone calls, listening to music (from the phone) or using Google Assistant do not require the phone to be plugged in.
Yes, I know that Bluetooth does not require the phone to be plugged in. This topic is strictly about Bluetooth and has nothing to do with the functions that are available in Android Auto or Apple Car Play.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Right now I'm having issue with android auto when I get a message from facebook. When I receive a message, it would try to read it but there's no audio reading it. Also bluetooth music connection is a bit weird, sometimes I get no audio so I have to press fm button and then bluetooth to hear the audio.

@megawolf: your problem with BT music/audio connection seems similar to mine. See this topic: https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/7-2019-honda-insight-general-discussion/616-bluetooth-audio-blocked.html
No comment about your AA with FB message problem - I rarely use either AA or FB.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Try booting the phone in safe mode to ensure it's not a third party app?
Thanks for the suggestion. I put phone into safe mode. No help.

Repeat with possibly a bit more clarity:

If car has Bluetooth device selected, then when I activate Google Assistant and ask to send a text message, I do get the audio feedback: to whom, what's the message, etc. So this is how it works in safe or normal mode, and this is how you want it to work.
But if I'm listening to radio and try to interact with Assistant using audio, there is no spoken feedback, neither on the car system or the phone itself. Also when I press the microphone on my phone to speak, it does not silence the radio.
Now maybe this is all a car system can do with Bluetooth Audio/Music, but it certainly behaves better with Bluetooth Phone: in that case the radio is silenced, whether for incoming or outgoing call.

I'm inclined to call this a bug in the Hondalink audio system.

·
Registered
60 Posts
If you are not on Bluetooth as the source, you do not get anything from the Bluetooth. I have not seen any other system work any differently. Before Android Auto, we always had to be in Bluetooth as the source and listen to something on the phone (iHeart) while using Google Maps or interacting with the phone. Now, with Android Auto, I can play the FM radio in background while using Android Auto features. Things work more like you always hoped Bluetooth did work.

·
Registered
109 Posts
If you are not on Bluetooth as the source, you do not get anything from the Bluetooth. I have not seen any other system work any differently. Before Android Auto, we always had to be in Bluetooth as the source and listen to something on the phone (iHeart) while using Google Maps or interacting with the phone. Now, with Android Auto, I can play the FM radio in background while using Android Auto features. Things work more like you always hoped Bluetooth did work.
I just knew I wasn't clear enough. If I have turned off the audio system (power off, that is), I expect that voice feedback will come out of my phone's speaker. But it does not! It is silent. So what does this mean? It means that the BT Audio/Music connection is maintained even though the car audio system is powered off - that seems like a real bug. Mind you, you do want the BT Phone connection to be maintained, because you want incoming phone calls to be heard on the car audio.

They need to handle BT Phone and BT Audio separately.

·
Super Moderator
4,077 Posts
In the Google Maps app (on the right hand side when connected to Bluetooth - see attachment), there's a small speaker that sometimes needs to be enabled. The setting stays after you've selected it once. Do you get this on your screen as an available option?

Attachments

·
Registered
109 Posts
In the Google Maps app (on the right hand side when connected to Bluetooth - see attachment), there's a small speaker that sometimes needs to be enabled. The setting stays after you've selected it once. Do you get this on your screen as an available option?
Of course I get that option. The speaker is enabled. Are you suggesting that the Insight Bluetooth connection could switch Android phone to mute?

Let me repeat ...
  • Car is running. Car audio is turned off or car audio is in use with radio.
  • Google Maps audio output disappears into the void.
  • Google Assistant audio output (such as when trying to interact with "Hey Google") disappears into the void.
Think about how wrong this is - even if the car audio system is turned off my phone cannot talk to me! If I want to use either GMaps audio directions or Google Assistant, but I am not connected using Android Auto, then I MUST turn on car audio and choose Bluetooth.

I did try booting into Safe mode - still have this problem.
Doesn't anyone else have this problem?

·
Super Moderator
2,690 Posts
I just knew I wasn't clear enough. If I have turned off the audio system (power off, that is), I expect that voice feedback will come out of my phone's speaker. But it does not! It is silent. So what does this mean? It means that the BT Audio/Music connection is maintained even though the car audio system is powered off - that seems like a real bug. Mind you, you do want the BT Phone connection to be maintained, because you want incoming phone calls to be heard on the car audio.

They need to handle BT Phone and BT Audio separately.
Seems like a handoff bug with BT audio but not BT phone(which requires an update to the in car tablet OS by Honda and that is if they care to fix it). I don't really expect any auto manufacture except Tesla to constantly update the in car software so I made sure to only buy a car with CarPlay/Android Auto built in. This way, as long as my phone's OS, and apps are updated... I shouldn't experience any in car multimedia issues since CarPlay/Android Auto is running off my phone and not the car's tablet screen OS.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I've only driven Hondas. The only other Honda I have with Bluetooth is a 2013 CR-Z. That is normal for how Honda uses Bluetooth. If you want what you talk about, you must:
1. use the Bluetooth input on the radio. Then you will hear your phone but not the Honda audio.
2. use Android Auto. You can now blend the car's radio with your android features. I don't use iOS.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I took my car to the dealer last week and asked them to look into these things
  1. Intermittent rattle from vicinity of glovebox. I know precisely where to press on the dashboard to stop the rattle, nevertheless they did not do anything, such as tighten screws. So the rattle continues (but they didn't hear it).
  2. Steering seems sloppy to me. I find myself twitching the wheel left and right by tiny amounts quite a lot. Since service staff is unfamiliar with new Insight, they assumed it was operating as expected. Told me Civic and Accord steering feels a bit different.
  3. Bluetooth audio connection drops a lot and comes back within 10 seconds. Nothing to be done for it, Honda has never heard of a Moto G5 phone.
When I got my car back they told me they had taken car of rear camera recall item (whatever that involved).
Revisiting this old comment. My Bluetooth issue is fixed, it was my phone that needed an update.
I'm used to the steering now - someone told us in these forums that it is because of the steering ratio: I think they said it was 12:1 on the Insight but 10:1 or less on a Civic - so the Insight can be twitchy (did I get those ratios reversed?).
The latest rattle that I have is from the passenger side panel of the center console - press on it and it stops.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts