Gen 3 Insight Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2019 EX Space Gray
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, all. This is my first post, but I've read quite a few. Great forum and community!

I've been researching pressure bleeding the brake fluid on our 2019 Insight EX. We're still about six months out for the 3-year recommended flush. I just completed one on our other vehicle using a pressure bleeder purchased on Amazon. I'm seeing if I can get a cap to fit the Insight with the existing pressure bleeder so we're prepared in the fall.

Unlike many European brands that use a standard size:

... Honda seems to have at least three different brake fluid caps. I got one to try out and it's too big. The next one is on the way. I'll post more about that when I figure out what works.

I cleaned the cap and reservoir and took it off when testing the one I got last week. There is a fairly severe deformation in the inside of the cap (see pic below). The cap came off normally without much force. The engine was cold at the time.

I doubt that it was opened during the fluids inspection during the two oil changes at the dealer, so I'm thinking this is a factory defect. If you check yours, make sure to clean any grime on the cap and reservoir first. Be careful to rest the cap on a clean shop towel or lint free cloth. Brake fluid will damage paint and grime is bad for the brake system.

Has anyone seen anything similar?

Do you think this is a warranty item? I've never had to deal with anything similar.

Automotive tire Camera lens Rim Automotive wheel system Reflex camera

·
Registered
452 Posts
If you try to push it back in does it go? I know that seal is meant to deform a bit to allow for fluid movement.. "They're sealed, but not at pressurized, to make it simple. The rubber diaphragm allows the fluid level to drop without bringing in moist, outside air into contact with the fluid."

·
Registered
2019 EX Space Gray
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response. I'll try to push it back in.

I found the post you quoted here: are brake fluid reservoir caps sealed?

Some more searching found some scary posts about what happens when the wrong fluid is added to the reservoir.
Hopefully, a tech didn't add the wrong fluid when the car was in for one of its oil changes.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX
3,051 Posts
I had my brake fluid change earlier this month at the dealership. Before I took it in my brake fluid cap was like yours when I checked. I was able to push it back in though. I'm going to take another look tomorrow if I have time.

·
Registered
2019 EX Space Gray
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, Andrew. I just came back in from checking. It easily pushed back in, as suggested by @Mobilcams. I wore a glove for safety. It appears to be a bladder-type system that expands as the fluid level goes down. The drop is often a natural result of brake pad wear.

Learned something new. Thanks for both responses :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts