Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

Brake Hold - Why does it need to be activated at each startup?

5K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  IronQQQ 
#1 ·
the Insight brake hold needs to be re-activated each time you drive the car. I thought this was an odd thing as the car is mostly electric motor driven car (electric cars can have them on all the time by default). the car doesn't have to creep like a conventional torque converter transmission. Why not have it engaged by default if you the driver chooses to do so? Then last month, I drove a Japanese 2020 Rav 4 (right hand drive). It had an anemic 2.0 liter normally aspirated engine, but it surprisingly had a brake hold. However, that car too has it off by default and you need to re-engage it each time you start the car. My question... why? is it way the car's sub-systems are setup? some sub-module that is brake hold off by default until the car main ecu tells it otherwise? Is there a technical reason it needs to be re-engaged each time if I want brake hold? Can't it be set for brake hold on by default? or this just to emulate automatic transmission setup to avoid some lawsuit when some driver does something stupid? CVTs are drive by wire anyways these days... I don't see any reason why brake hold couldn't be on the minute you start the car?

#2 ·
Here are some thoughts from same question asked in this thread - Multiple Software Issues - Any Fixes?

It's a design choice by Honda; other options may have been available, but this is what Honda (and Toyota) chose.

Honda's programming for the Brake Hold button (pg 536-537) has interlocks to time (10 min stopped max), driver's seat belt, parking brake, gear selection (P or R) and power cycle (on/off). Honda regards it as an intentional choice to be made by the driver, rather than a default - so it requires the button to be activated when used.

#3 ·
I don't see any reason why brake hold couldn't be on the minute you start the car?
I think it has to do with the lack of one pedal driving. Brake hold works better with one pedal driving. I find brake hold annoying when I have to do a reverse or 3 point turn quickly so I like having it default to off until I want it on.

I guess they could add it as an option to "default to on" via the vehicle settings on the infotainment screen for those that want it.

#4 · (Edited)
So my wife was on the driveway and thought the car was park. Well it was not in park and she ran into the other car parked in the garage.

If only brake hold was option you didn't have to manually turn on each time!

I said to her, "do you finally understand why EV one pedal driving is so much safer? The car doesn't move unless you step on the pedal."

She says, "Weren't you planning to get the car painted anyways?" Yeah.. but every extra panel I have to paint is an extra couple hundred bucks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.