Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 23k on my 2019. Have noticed many times how little the pads engage in braking....regeneration takes the main load. The downside of long lasting pads is failure to clean off rust on the rotors. Just brought my car in for state inspection and was told all 4 rotors needed to be resurfaced for $300+. I looked, and certainly the fronts look bad. My other car has over 100k miles, same driving conditions, never had to do rotors, so I attribute the difference to the lack of regular scrubbing of the rotor by brake pads....
I just had all four brakes replaced on my 2019 at 63k. Mechanic said pads had little wear but rotors were scored. WTH Honda! Give me 53mpg eat up my savings with bad brakes!? Had to replace pads AND rotors. All the while I just posted that as my mechanic was test driving it, he was rear ended. Has not been a good 24 hours.

·
Administrator
4,777 Posts
I just had all four brakes replaced on my 2019 at 63k. Mechanic said pads had little wear but rotors were scored. WTH Honda! Give me 53mpg eat up my savings with bad brakes!? Had to replace pads AND rotors. All the while I just posted that as my mechanic was test driving it, he was rear ended. Has not been a good 24 hours.
Did you notice any vibration or noises when braking before replacement? Given how much you drive, I would think you'd have more brake use/wear... but if your driving is mostly highway, maybe that's why you've had so little brake use?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have less than 15K miles on my 2019 EX and I noticed that my back rotors are also scored (one more than the other). The front ones are fine and I haven't noticed any vibration when braking, also I don't have any rust on any of the rotors (I live in the North East). I am just perplexed as to how the back rotors got scored...defective rotors/pads? :unsure:

·
Registered
159 Posts
have less than 15K miles on my 2019 EX and I noticed that my back rotors are also scored (one more than the other). The front ones are fine and I haven't noticed any vibration when braking, also I don't have any rust on any of the rotors (I live in the North East). I am just perplexed as to how the back rotors got scored...defective rotors/pads?
Having been an auto body repairman for 25 years prior to becoming an insurance adjuster, the one thing I learned is that for some reason Honda tends to use a softer metal in their rotors. I spoke with lots of mechanics that were of the same opinion. Before anti-lock brakes came about, I had lots of customers complaining that after their accident, they were experiencing lots of vibrations when applying their brakes. Naturally, during very hard braking, the rotor surface built up excessive heat which caused warping of the rotors. Since most cars, back in the day, only had front rotors and rear disc brakes, the way to determine if rotors were the problem, one would simply drive down the road at a reasonable speed and slowly apply the emergency brake since is was manually operated. Emergency brakes were only good for the rear wheels, so if vibration was NOT felt, it would mean the problem was in the front rotors.

Reactions: pasei

·
Registered
3 Posts
Owner of a 2019 touring with 28k miles. I recently noticed some noise coming from the rear brakes in the last bit of travel as the car comes to a stop. With my driving habits this seems to be the only time the pads really engage the rotors. Upon inspection I found that all 4 of the rotors exhibit grooves. The depth of the grooves appear worse in the rear rotors. In the "valleys" of the grooves the rotor material looks normal. The peaks show some rust. To me this seems to show the brakes are not always making complete contact with the rotor in some areas

I rely heavily on the regenerative breaking and stop slowly at a long distance to maximize that. I used to commute on the freeway daily so I used to be getting at least 1 stop a day where the brakes would be engaged a fair amount. My commute changed so for the last 5000 miles or so I have done all local driving with the long slow stops mentioned above. Not entirely sure its the cause but it seems my recent lack of hard braking has attributed to this problem.

I'm taking it to the dealer this week. Hopefully I'll have an update soon.

Attachments

·
Registered
2019 Touring Crystal Black Pearl / Mocha
350 Posts
Owner of a 2019 touring with 28k miles. I recently noticed some noise coming from the rear brakes in the last bit of travel as the car comes to a stop. With my driving habits this seems to be the only time the pads really engage the rotors. Upon inspection I found that all 4 of the rotors exhibit grooves. The depth of the grooves appear worse in the rear rotors. In the "valleys" of the grooves the rotor material looks normal. The peaks show some rust. To me this seems to show the brakes are not always making complete contact with the rotor in some areas

I rely heavily on the regenerative breaking and stop slowly at a long distance to maximize that. I used to commute on the freeway daily so I used to be getting at least 1 stop a day where the brakes would be engaged a fair amount. My commute changed so for the last 5000 miles or so I have done all local driving with the long slow stops mentioned above. Not entirely sure its the cause but it seems my recent lack of hard braking has attributed to this problem.

I'm taking it to the dealer this week. Hopefully I'll have an update soon.
Definitely a design flaw if you ask me. Not sure I agree with you about the highway braking, I thought brakes don't engage unless it's an emergency braking or like 3mph no?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Definitely a design flaw if you ask me. Not sure I agree with you about the highway braking, I thought brakes don't engage unless it's an emergency braking or like 3mph no?
That might be the case, I'm not entirely sure when the car uses regenerative braking vs physical brakes. I only assumed that since I was breaking much harder coming off the freeway compared to what I do now.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Physical brakes engage depending on how far down or how quickly you press the brake pedal. They will be used under moderate braking but only lightly. A normal braking event like getting off a highway exit and braking moderately will use the brakes so I’d say @Jja360 ‘s change in driving behavior has allowed rust to build up on the rotors. Rear brakes in general are only used for about 20-30% of braking power so they are being used less than the front brakes on this person’s car, which is to say very little to not at all, thus why the rears look worse. I’d suggest performing several harder stops in reverse (back up safely to about 15-20mph and press firmly on brakes) or hold the emergency brake button up for a short distance while traveling at 20mph or so and see if that cleans up some of the rust. Most likely the dealer will do nothing as rotors are considered a wear item. It isn’t a design flaw, just a consequence of a hybrid not using its brakes as often as a normal car.

I’ve had to do this same braking procedure on my Fiat because it sits in a carport where the right rear brake gets wet anytime it rains, I rarely drive the car, and the heavy forward weight bias causes the rear brakes to barely ever be used. Therefore, rust builds up and you see what looks like grooves. I was able to get the rotor looking shinier by doing the procedure mentioned above.

Reactions: andrew28

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just a follow up on my previous post. I took my car to the dealer today and had them inspect the brakes among a couple other things. Of course they determined the grooves in all 4 of my rotors were due to normal wear and tear. I pusjed a little to try and understand how deep grooves in rotors at 28k miles is normal while all the pads still have 6mm left on them. I was just told that it is still considered normal wear and tear and that its just heavily dependent on where you drive (freeway, city, etc).

That all aside I was recommended that all rotors should be re-surfaced for the ridiculous price of $340... No thanks.

Looks like I'll be changing my own rotors and pads this weekend.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts