Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was in accessory mode for maybe no more than 30 minutes, parked (of course), and this warning popped up. Never seen again (this was August 25th, a hot day if that matters) - 2020 EX, 7k miles at the time - should I be concerned, or was system confused in some way, being in accessory mode for a longer than usual duration? Brakes have not been any issue that I can tell. Fluid level fine. If this warning popped up while driving, I would go to dealer. But, I plan on mentioning when eventually go to get first oil change (still at 30% 7500 miles)

?

·
Super Moderator
2019 OWP Insight EX
1,281 Posts
I use ACC mode frequently when my daughter is in dance class. I watch movies over BT. ACC mode shuts off after one hour to preserve battery. I've flipped it back on resulting in two hours (or more for a longer class) of ACC use. The only way ACC mode can be connected with this issue is if your 12V battery is failing. Otherwise it's a true issue. I'd put more money on it being a battery issue. If you start getting odd, unrelated errors popping up, that seals it as the issue. Good luck!

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX (White Orchid Pearl)
2,758 Posts
Like @hasarad said if it never came back then your 12v battery was most likely at a low voltage at the time.

·
Administrator
4,247 Posts
Are there any corresponding, persistent red or amber brake alerts on the DII as well?

If there are brake indicator messages lit on the DII, the Owners Manual says RED indicates brake system problem (OM19, pg 81), while amber indicates problem other than conventional brake system including radar sensor (OM19, pp 82-83).

The most 'similar' mention of these brake related error messages that I can recall are in this Brake Error Messages and Electric Parking Brake System Error threads, both which showed "Brake System Problem" messages and were related to parking brake.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Silly question perhaps, but what is DII ?
Well Diablo 2 of course. I have fond memories of slaying the minions of hell in middle school. High school? Ah, I cannot remember.

To be slightly more serious, I am guessing some fancy name for the instrument cluster. Digital Indicator Iguana?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I haven't had any other messages, before, or since - so I'm still inclined to wait till my 1st service appointment, whenever that will be, and I'll mention this...unless I see it again.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I was in accessory mode for maybe no more than 30 minutes, parked (of course), and this warning popped up. Never seen again (this was August 25th, a hot day if that matters) - 2020 EX, 7k miles at the time - should I be concerned, or was system confused in some way, being in accessory mode for a longer than usual duration? Brakes have not been any issue that I can tell. Fluid level fine. If this warning popped up while driving, I would go to dealer. But, I plan on mentioning when eventually go to get first oil change (still at 30% 7500 miles)

View attachment 6036 View attachment 6037 ?
I will express my opinion on this message.
The reason is solely that the battery voltage dropped to some lower level and this caused an error warning to appear.
Honda supplied a very small 12 volt battery. It is clear that this battery does not serve to start the engine, but this battery supplies energy to a large number of 12 volt electronic devices. And when the mains voltage of 12 volts is low, then false errors in self-diagnosis occur.

If I'm not mistaken, this screen corresponds to the error screen of the HondaLink application. As I wrote earlier, I still have problems with the front left shock sensor and periodically HondaLink displays similar messages about the shock sensor error.

Based on the above, the relatively small capacity of the 12 volt battery should try to minimize the use of charge when the ignition is off.

·
Administrator
4,247 Posts
Based on the above, the relatively small capacity of the 12 volt battery should try to minimize the use of charge when the ignition is off.
Note above that hasarad is able to run 2 hrs in accessory mode without errors/issues (2019 EX, bought 8/2018), which suggests the same 12V battery capacity/design technically should be able handle the <30 minute use SoCali mentioned (2020 EX, bought 12/2019).

If the 12V battery itself is 'unhealthy' it should show up on diagnostic/measurement test.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX (White Orchid Pearl)
2,758 Posts
Note above that hasarad is able to run 2 hrs in accessory mode without errors/issues (2019 EX, bought 8/2018), which suggests the same 12V battery capacity/design technically should be able handle the <30 minute use SoCali mentioned (2020 EX, bought 12/2019).

If the 12V battery itself is 'unhealthy' it should show up on diagnostic/measurement test.
I think @hasarad was able to do 2 hours because his trips are long enough to charge up the 12v battery. If you do short trips and try using the 12v battery for an hour+ it might discharge the 12v battery too much. When I have to wait in the car for a long amount of time I either leave the car fully off or wait with the car fully on(I'm using some gas but EV mode stays on for a long time when idling with HVAC off) vs using ACC mode to play it safe.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think @hasarad was able to do 2 hours because his trips are long enough to charge up the 12v battery. If you do short trips and try using the 12v battery for an hour+ it might discharge the 12v battery too much. When I have to wait in the car for a long amount of time I either leave the car fully off or wait with the car fully on(I'm using some gas but EV mode stays on for a long time when idling with HVAC off) vs using ACC mode to play it safe.
So, to be fair, it might have been longer than 30 minutes - so it's acceptable to believe that the 12v batt was being a bit over taxed, being that I've been doing mostly short trips for the past 6 months during this stupid pandemic.
Thanks for all the input everyone.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I agree about the low voltage causing the warning to appear. These modern cars are so computer-centric - they store codes about almost literally everything- even if you hold the a window switch up too long! (causes abnormally high voltage to the window motor). It seems like one of the systems sent a code to the computer that it had (most likely a low voltage) issue and since it is related to an essential system the computer deemed it vital to prompt a warning out of caution that this might occur while the car is driving. The 12v battery is most likely fine, it wont trip the battery charging system warning for this situation because the computer knows the current status of the car and the battery's extended voltage history. If some high battery drain comes along (power window hitting the top of the door sill for ex) that split second dip in power is all it takes to have some sensor elsewhere fire off a low voltage code and that can trip warning lights. The 12v battery is so small that it is located under the console inside the car. If i have to idle a while I just leave the car on because it only kicks on the gas motor every 10 min or so for a minute or two. The small amount of fuel saved is not worth stressing the vehicle's expensive sensors and computer system or it's AGM 12 volt battery. Remember too when the 12v battery gets low the big lithium battery and the generator have to work overtime to charge it back up which will put some strain on them and probably use up all the fuel you saved not running the car to on, anyway. Also not all of the systems (headlamp system I know for a fact) automatically reset and clear the code on their own! I had a crack in my passenger headlamp and a water droplet got in and hit an LED causing (you guessed it!) a low voltage code that tripped a warning light about the system. It did not self clear. The dealer had to reset it with a special scan tool twice. They didn't charge me because the crack was from a hit and run and they felt bad but most dealerships don't have a soul and would have no problem charging .5 - 1.0 hour labor just to clear a glitch. Keep 'er running electronics need a stable power supply to function properly.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts