Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While looking in the settings this morning to find out why my cell phone wasn't paired with the cars' bluetooth I noticed warnings and went into it. They were dated October 29th and were related to the brakes. One was something to do with possible low brake fluid and the other I can't remember as they have since disappeared. Both said to take the vehicle to the dealer. Coincidently yesterday I removed all the wheels and installed snow tires and new rims. Once that was done I reset the TPMS although it never threw any codes at me. Is it possible that changing tires could throw up codes like that ? I drove the car 20 kilometres (12 miles ) after the tire change and more this morning and never had any issue with the brakes. Anyone else had something like this happen ?

·
Registered
836 Posts
While looking in the settings this morning to find out why my cell phone wasn't paired with the cars' bluetooth I noticed warnings and went into it. They were dated October 29th and were related to the brakes. One was something to do with possible low brake fluid and the other I can't remember as they have since disappeared. Both said to take the vehicle to the dealer. Coincidently yesterday I removed all the wheels and installed snow tires and new rims. Once that was done I reset the TPMS although it never threw any codes at me. Is it possible that changing tires could throw up codes like that ? I drove the car 20 kilometres (12 miles ) after the tire change and more this morning and never had any issue with the brakes. Anyone else had something like this happen ?
These false Brake warnings, are often attributed to low voltage of the 12v AGM battery. There is a software update (possibly) for the car's computer systems that may help prevent this in the future. I haven't had a single "brake message" since the update.

There was never anything wrong with the braking system physically, every trip to the dealership involved clearing codes, checking the 12v battery, and on the last trip a system software update.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX (White Orchid Pearl)
2,326 Posts
You can check the brake fluid level by opening the hood. If it's at the normal level and the warnings don't reappear then it could just be the tire/wheel change.

·
Super Moderator
3,306 Posts
Do you recall ever seeing and clearing these messages come up on the DII (screen behind steering wheel)? I thought warnings like this showed up in both places (DII and infotainment screen)?

The Insight's indirect TPMS operates by comparing the relative spinning speed of each wheel via ABS sensors, so technically only chce. Since the car doesn't have direct sensors in the tire, I don't think changing your tires would have triggered this, unless your tires were significantly different size and/or you drive around in that condition for a while before TPMS calibration.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX (White Orchid Pearl)
2,326 Posts
Do you recall ever seeing and clearing these messages come up on the DII (screen behind steering wheel)? I thought warnings like this showed up in both places (DII and infotainment screen)?

The Insight's indirect TPMS operates by comparing the relative spinning speed of each wheel via ABS sensors, so technically only chce. Since the car doesn't have direct sensors in the tire, I don't think changing your tires would have triggered this, unless your tires were significantly different size and/or you drive around in that condition for a while before TPMS calibration.
@4star downsized to 16" snow tires/wheels. https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/161-tires-wheels-brakes-steering-suspension/574-winter-tire-strategy-insight-snow-10.html#post27210

·
Super Moderator
3,306 Posts

·
Registered
836 Posts
Assuming all 4 tires were changed at same time before re-starting car, this size change shouldn't have triggered the TPMS to detect a >25% relative rotation difference among the 4 ABS sensors, once the car was started up.
Especially since the 16" tire is taller than the 17" tire (distance from wheel to tread), there isn't as big of a difference between his two sets. I stand behind my comment that the brake warnings were coincidental to tire/wheel change, and most likely had to do with the AGM battery.

Also from experience, I always get the brake warnings in a pair, usually one about brake fluid being low, and a subsequent one, (can't remember the exact warning). And almost always it happens around when my car has an electrical freak out.

To clarify, I'm not saying don't check the brake fluid level, or document it with your dealer. If the car drives fine, and nothing appears wrong, it could very well just be a voltage issue.

·
Super Moderator
3,306 Posts
Especially since the 16" tire is taller than the 17" tire (distance from wheel to tread), there isn't as big of a difference between his two sets. I stand behind my comment that the brake warnings were coincidental to tire/wheel change, and most likely had to do with the AGM battery.

Also from experience, I always get the brake warnings in a pair, usually one about brake fluid being low, and a subsequent one, (can't remember the exact warning). And almost always it happens around when my car has an electrical freak out.

To clarify, I'm not saying don't check the brake fluid level, or document it with your dealer. If the car drives fine, and nothing appears wrong, it could very well just be a voltage issue.
You've experienced more electrical issues than average and seem to take them more in stride, but it's not a normal occurrence and would be concerning (on my car at least). Even if I could clear it I'd be concerned about why it comes up (i.e. what is causing the voltage issue?) and as you mentioned, I'd document it with dealer especially while under warranty.

·
Registered
836 Posts
You've experienced more electrical issues than average and seem to take them more in stride, but it's not a normal occurrence and would be concerning (on my car at least). Even if I could clear it I'd be concerned about why it comes up (i.e. what is causing the voltage issue?) and as you mentioned, I'd document it with dealer especially while under warranty.
To date, only twice. Both fixed themselves. I've seen other people mention warnings popping up before, especially in threads where there were electrical issues, like mine. I take it in stride so well because let's face it, I came from a super high mileage truck that had expensive parts, and ridiculous labor. And since it's under warranty, someone else is turning wrenches instead of me :D.

I don't disregard the warnings when they happen, I pull over as soon as safe and inspect the brake fluid level, check for leaks etc.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts