Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it normal for a new car to having squeaky brakes and noise coming from turning the wheel for tight turns?

·
Super Moderator
3,328 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,347 Posts
Is it normal for a new car to having squeaky brakes and noise coming from turning the wheel for tight turns?
I have this problem with my Insight. I originally thought it was due to Spring along with all the rain. With the dry summer, I'm still hearing it when I brake, and do tight turns while stopped. I brought it into the dealership and had a tech hear the sound as I reproduced it. He told me I need to wear the brakes down more since the car is only at 3000 miles and to bring it up again when I do my first oil change.

Symptoms:

• Makes a creaking sound similar to a creaky wooden floor board
  • Only happens when I come to a complete stop where the car rocks a little forward and backward.
  • Or when I do a tight wide turn on the steering wheel while car is stopped.
  • I can prevent the sound from happening by doing gentle braking to a complete stop.
I tried recording the sound with my phone but the mic doesn't seem to be able to pick it up.

·
Registered
836 Posts
I'll have to do some digging, but my Colorado used to do this, I want to say the issue was frozen pins in the caliper.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yes. I'm currently plagued with severe wobbling, creaking noises from front and back, and Honda keeps saying they dont know what it is!!! Its driving me insane. Going to a private tech tomorrow. Will post any details

·
Registered
253 Posts
I think it’s just an issue where the brakes aren’t used as much and there isn’t an engine masking the noise so it’s a lot more noticeable on the Insight. It’s just a normal noise. I used to do it on purpose in my civic to make my daughters laugh.

·
Super Moderator
3,328 Posts
My car seems to be fine on the interior (fit and finish) and only some gap issues on the exterior. The only big concern I have right now is the odd brake creaking sound when coming to a full stop which I will have looked at during my first oil change in a month or so.
Are you also still getting noises during turns, in addition to brakes - https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/20142-post4.html

Also just curious, but are you already at 15% life remaining? We're both low annual-mileage drivers and our cars were manufactured around the same time. The maintenance minder will be giving us a time-based oil change reminder/countdown from first oil at manufacture, but I'm surprised your timing is so much earlier than mine...

·
Super Moderator
2,347 Posts
Are you also still getting noises during turns, in addition to brakes - https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/20142-post4.html

Also just curious, but are you already at 15% life remaining? We're both low annual-mileage drivers and our cars were manufactured around the same time. The maintenance minder will be giving us a time-based oil change reminder/countdown from first oil at manufacture, but I'm surprised your timing is so much earlier than mine...
Yep, still getting the noise when I do a wide turn while stopped.

4,069 miles at 40% oil life right now (My Insight was manufactured in September of 2018 so the factory oil is 1 year old). I plan on doing the first oil change in October just before it starts to get really cold if I don't hit 15% during September.

·
Super Moderator
2,347 Posts
I have this problem with my Insight. I originally thought it was due to Spring along with all the rain. With the dry summer, I'm still hearing it when I brake, and do tight turns while stopped. I brought it into the dealership and had a tech hear the sound as I reproduced it. He told me I need to wear the brakes down more since the car is only at 3000 miles and to bring it up again when I do my first oil change.

Symptoms:

• Makes a creaking sound similar to a creaky wooden floor board
  • Only happens when I come to a complete stop where the car rocks a little forward and backward.
  • Or when I do a tight wide turn on the steering wheel while car is stopped.
  • I can prevent the sound from happening by doing gentle braking to a complete stop.
I tried recording the sound with my phone but the mic doesn't seem to be able to pick it up.
I brought this up during my state inspection earlier in the week. Dealership had me schedule an appointment for brake inspection today. The tech was able to replicate the sound and they're now working on it. All 4 rotors need to be cut and brake pads sanded down.

·
Super Moderator
1,069 Posts
I brought this up during my state inspection earlier in the week. Dealership had me schedule an appointment for brake inspection today. The tech was able to replicate the sound and they're now working on it. All 4 rotors need to be cut and brake pads sanded down.
Why is the dealership cheaping out on the repair? Their solution takes more life from your brake system. I would insist on new rotors and pads!

·
Super Moderator
2,347 Posts
Why is the dealership cheaping out on the repair? Their solution takes more life from your brake system. I would insist on new rotors and pads!
Got my car back and the noise is gone! I figure they would put up more resistance and Honda wouldn't approve parts replacement as a first option.

Before and After pics attached.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
3,328 Posts
Got my car back and the noise is gone! I figure they would put up more resistance and Honda wouldn't approve parts replacement as a first option.
Glad it's better, but maybe keep an ongoing eye out because it sounds like the 'symptoms' were addressed but not the root cause (i.e. did you have defective brake pads?). Brake use on the Insight is lower than conventional cars (due to regen), so especially with your low-mileage annual driving it seems uncharacteristic to have brake issues so soon...

·
Super Moderator
2,347 Posts
Glad it's better, but maybe keep an ongoing eye out because it sounds like the 'symptoms' were addressed but not the root cause (i.e. did you have defective brake pads?). Brake use on the Insight is lower than conventional cars (due to regen), so especially with your low-mileage annual driving it seems uncharacteristic to have brake issues so soon...
My brakes were fine when I got the car brand new. Started noticing the odd sounds a few months later during the Spring when it rained a lot.

Most brakes squeak after sitting overnight. This is usually due to moisture from rain, dew, or condensation that collects on the surface of the rotors.
When moisture collects on the brake rotors, it causes a thin layer of rust to form on the rotor surface. As the rotor turns, the pads scrape the rust off the rotors, and then the rust gets caught on the leading edge of the brake pad. These fine particles of rust then get embedded into the leading edge of the pad and cause a squeak. The only way to prevent this type of squeak is to garage your vehicle or store it in a climate-controlled environment. Rust on the rotors can also cause pad impressions on rotors, which in turn, cause a thumping noise or brake pulsation.
I think it's just rust getting embedded in the brake pads and then the rusty pads made the grooves on the rotors. Seems unavoidable when having to park my car outside and along with the fact this car doesn't use the brake pads much. Will post an update here if I see the problem again.

·
Super Moderator
2,347 Posts
So... after I got my rotors resurfaced that day I started hearing a rattling noise coming from the rear driver's side wheel. The noise sound like when you're driving over a loose manhole cover(essentially a rattling metal lid). I originally thought I had something loose in the trunk. Checked the trunk(my trunk is empty) and made sure everything including the spare tire compartment is secured. It was really noticeable driving on rough roads with an uneven surface at low speeds.

I scheduled an appointment for today at the dealership so a tech can do a diagnostic. As with any random rattles it's really hard to find the source and requesting a dealership to fix it for you... doesn't usually go smoothly. The tech did a test drive with the car by himself and didn't hear any rattle sound. The car was also put up on a lift to inspect for damage and none were found. I was told since they couldn't hear the sound it wouldn't be possible to find a solution. I thanked them and left with the car.

As I was driving down the road on my way home I could hear the rattle again. I decided to circle back and request the tech to come with me while I'm driving so I can point it out to him. Surprisingly they granted my request with no push back. I had the tech ride in the back with half the seats folded down so he can hear the rattle better. It didn't take long for him to hear it this time. After an hour wait, I was told my rear driver's side wheel brake caliper had too much play, so when it shifted it made a clunk noise. They actually had my Insight and a new Insight up on a lift to compare with each other. The solution they came up with was to replace the brake caliper which will be coming in tomorrow. I'm not sure if something happened to my brake caliper during the rotor resurfacing service, or it was just a coincidence it failed at around the same time.

I've done all my previous maintenance/repairs at my local Honda dealership not just with my Insight but with my previous Honda vehicles, too. I would say about 10 years of continuous service department business even though I've never bought a car from them. I guess they took this into account when dealing with my current issue because I doubt any dealership would give me 10 minutes let alone a couple of hours trying to hunt this random rattle noise. Will post an update once I get the new brake caliper service done tomorrow.

·
Super Moderator
3,328 Posts
After an hour wait, I was told my rear driver's side wheel brake caliper had too much play, so when it shifted it made a clunk noise. They actually had my Insight and a new Insight up on a lift to compare with each other. The solution they came up with was to replace the brake caliper which will be coming in tomorrow. I'm not sure if something happened to my brake caliper during the rotor resurfacing service, or it was just a coincidence it failed at around the same time.
I take it that there weren't any 'brake' alarms that came up, just noise that indicated something was amiss? Before they did the rotor resurfacing and brake pad work, did you observe one wheel was worse than any other, and does it correspond to the wheel position for the rear brake caliper?

·
Super Moderator
2,347 Posts
I take it that there weren't any 'brake' alarms that came up, just noise that indicated something was amiss? Before they did the rotor resurfacing and brake pad work, did you observe one wheel was worse than any other, and does it correspond to the wheel position for the rear brake caliper?
No warning lights or brake alerts. Just a rattling sound when hitting some bumps in the road at low speed. My Insight had no rattles before the rotor resurfacing. The reason I got the rotor resurfacing was due to the groaning and squeaking noise when I would come to a stop which is now fixed. Visually all my wheels look good including the brake calipers. It's why the tech couldn't see anything wrong when he first put it up on the lift.

The 2nd test drive with me pointing out what rattle I was referring to gave him a good reason to take more time to diagnose the situation. That's when he brought in another new Insight up on the lift to find out what looks different on mine.

·
Registered
836 Posts
No warning lights or brake alerts. Just a rattling sound when hitting some bumps in the road at low speed. My Insight had no rattles before the rotor resurfacing. The reason I got the rotor resurfacing was due to the groaning and squeaking noise when I would come to a stop which is now fixed. Visually all my wheels look good including the brake calipers. It's why the tech couldn't see anything wrong when he first put it up on the lift.

The 2nd test drive with me pointing out what rattle I was referring to gave him a good reason to take more time to diagnose the situation. That's when he brought in another new Insight up on the lift to find out what looks different on mine.
If I had to take a guess, you had a frozen caliper pin(s). I haven't studied the brakes yet on ours, but that could also explain the "pitted" look to your rotors prior refinishing. Was both sides of the rotor similar to the one you shared the picture of? Or was it just one side of the rotor. That would have been another indicator of "poor caliper adjustment" which is usually a sign of frozen pins (they are essentially the guides that the caliper moves on when applying/releasing the brakes).

Also it could have been something as simple as the retainer clips for the brake pads being damaged/bent (and or shims missing).

1 - 20 of 31 Posts