Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

Brakes Squeak

11K views 23 replies 11 participants last post by  andrew28 
#1 ·
Noise when releasing brake slowly

Do you guys have the same problem?

#2 ·
If you're talking about releasing the break slowly from a stop, I hear it too, but expect it. I'm guessing it's either the electric motor or the pedestrian warning sounds. I also sometimes hear a fan near the battery back under the back seat. I think this pushes heat out from there into the cabin.

#3 ·
I also sometimes hear a fan near the battery back under the back seat. I think this pushes heat out from there into the cabin.
I stand corrected after reading this post that pulls out a quote from a press kit.

Battery temperature is controlled by a fan system that pulls air from the interior of the vehicle via vents located beneath the rear seat bottom. The battery pack is covered by a special warranty that covers defects in material and workmanship for eight-years/100,000-miles or ten-year/150,000 miles depending on the state of purchase/registration.​

#4 ·
The low speed brake squeal issue

Couple days After i did tiers rotation at Honda dealership or maybe when the weather start to get cold in Illinois i got low speed squealing brakes issue on my Insight most of the times exactly at stop signs and traffic lights & it’s gonna annoying me so i have an appointment to drop off my car at honda dealership again tomorrow

Does your car have this problem? Have you asked/complained to the dealer about it?

#21 ·
The low speed brake squeal issue

Couple days After i did tiers rotation at Honda dealership or maybe when the weather start to get cold in Illinois i got low speed squealing brakes issue on my Insight most of the times exactly at stop signs and traffic lights & it’s gonna annoying me so i have an appointment to drop off my car at honda dealership again tomorrow

Does your car have this problem? Have you asked/complained to the dealer about it?
Did the dealer solved the issue?

#5 ·
My Insight has been dead silent in all aspects. Since we're all under warranty, don't let them tell you this is normal. Hopefully it's a simple fix for Honda. I've had cars do this in the past, and, yes, it's VERY annoying!

Reactions: Miladsr71
#7 ·
Most brakes squeak after sitting overnight. This is usually due to moisture from rain, dew, or condensation that collects on the surface of the rotors.
When moisture collects on the brake rotors, it causes a thin layer of rust to form on the rotor surface. As the rotor turns, the pads scrape the rust off the rotors, and then the rust gets caught on the leading edge of the brake pad. These fine particles of rust then get embedded into the leading edge of the pad and cause a squeak.
The only way to prevent this type of squeak is to garage your vehicle or store it in a climate-controlled environment. Rust on the rotors can also cause pad impressions on rotors, which in turn, cause a thumping noise or brake pulsation. https://axleaddict.com/auto-repair/4-Common-Brake-Squeaks
Maybe this might be the reason? It definitely happened with my old 2009 Honda Civic when I don't drive it often after it rains.

#10 ·
I have an appointment for next week at another dealership, but they really surprised me when i saw they are defensive and tried to convince me for this and driver power window issue, this is my first experience with Honda and i have never seen like this in another company's dealership

#16 ·
Have it checked. You're under Honda warranty and squeaky brakes is unacceptable on a new car purchase. Don't hesitate and don't let them brush you off. They get reimbursed by Honda so if it can be reproduced in front of them then they'll fix it. My brakes are quiet and make no sounds.

#19 ·
Brake rotors will get a slight rust film in humid/rainy conditions. First thing in the morning I would occasionally hear a squeak (rare). I've had it happen more in my Odyssey than the Insight. Totally normal as far as I'm concerned.

That said, if you've used the brakes a few times and it persists, have it checked.

Reactions: LowRider
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.