Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Side question: To long-time Honda owners, has anybody experienced issues with the interior hood release tab breaking? I remember watching Eric the Car Guy explaining how some technician pulled the tab upward and not outward, causing it to break.

·
Super Moderator
3,312 Posts
I had this occur on an older Honda while at a west-coast based tire company (Les Schwab). The technician admitted that he opened the hood with an upward/pivoting motion on the hood release handle, rather than pulling it outward... which caused the plastic handle to snap off. He handed me the remnant piece of the handle in a small plastic bag and I was mortified.

The hood could still be opened by pulling on the remaining nub with a pair of pliers, but in good faith, the tire company ordered the part and replaced it for me at no cost. It took a looooong time to get done, as it requires routing the release cable appropriately, and they commented that the new cable seemed short (non-OEM?). But it's been working well since... 10+ years and counting, without repeat issue or incident.

I have to admit I still cringe a little when I leave my car for service at non-Honda locations, because of the former experience. I think there's greater risk that someone will 'pivot' rather than 'pull' the hood release handle when at a independent service facility... but it's a bit of trade off risk I accept for the price difference of service on an older car.

·
Super Moderator
2019 OWP Insight EX
1,063 Posts
My last 20 Civic had a broken handle. It was due to binding of an ancient cable latch and me forcing it. It was a royal PITA to get the hood open. It took a few socket extensions and patience from under the car while on ramps. I was able to order both a new latch and cable and swap them out easily once I got the hood open. Just be sure to open your hood regularly amd make sure the latch moves freely. With that said, the plastic knob IS pretty weak.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts