Gen 3 Insight Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Live in S.W. Minnesota, where deer are plentiful. Hit one on my way home from work and it caught the front passenger side of the vehicle. Car insurance (American Family) totaled the vehicle out at 60% of its value. Why? Because apparently a bulk of the hybrid electronics are at or near the front of the vehicle and were damaged along with the main wiring harness for the vehicle. Auto body shop was really surprised at the low total %, but said because of how new this series is, parts are expensive and not easy to find.

No insights in the 5-state area so moving up to an accord hybrid as soon as it shows up at the dealership.

2022 Insight - Bought August of 2022, had 8,600 miles. Averaged about 46-47MPG on my daily commute in temps above 20F. Below 20F MPG averaged about 36MPG. Was a great car, but knowing what I do now with insurance am glad I'm moving to the more popular accord even though the MPG will be a bit less.

Thanks for all the good info on this forum.

Jason

·
Super Moderator
2019 OWP Insight EX, 2021 PWP Insight EX
1,685 Posts
Wow! Do you have any photos of the damage? The cost sounds excessive - like, $16K-$18K for it to be 60%. How big was the deer? Must've been moose-sized to do that kind of damage!

Congratulations in advance on your new Accord Hybrid. I have a friend with one. It would be my second choice after the Insight.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
16,600 was the body shop estimate. They are Honda certified and I've used them previously. They are very good at what they do. Deer caught enough of the front to set off the driver side airbag and also damaged the intake manifold. Shop said that wasn't the expensive portion, it was really the electronics that were damaged in this area along with the main wiring harness for the car.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2019 OWP Insight EX, 2021 PWP Insight EX
1,685 Posts
Had the airbag not gone off, you may have had a chance at saving it from being totaled. Damage doesn't look structural, but the airbag really jacks up the cost. Must have been a big guy if damage extended to under the hood. The loss of your Cosmic Blue is a shame.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Completely understand your situation. I was involved in a bumper car collision in Sept and got hit the rear and front at fairly low speeds (no air bag deployment). The car didn't look too bad, but wasn't drivable due to a hybrid system fault. The car required replacement of the $7K Power Control Module (PCM) which cleared the hybrid system fault, then required another $6k in body and repair parts. As of today, the body shop is still awaiting a backordered bumper bracket that was ordered in early Nov. The body shop said Honda repair parts are the worst of all the manufacturers right now and given that the car is not a high selling vehicle makes getting those parts even more challenging (no aftermarket suppliers). Very frustrating...just want my Insight back (2019 w/ 33K miles).

·
Registered
270 Posts
Well airbag deployed is pretty much a universal law now, no matter the vehicle.

That damage though. I would not worry about a harness as they are easily repaired and Honda even sells parts and has a procedure for it. A more honest reason they probably totaled it is because of "frame damage." Most cars no longer have frames and they are considered unibody so any damage to the metal pretty much makes the car unusable due to NTSA safety stuff.

Anywho, insurance companies are just a mandated scam. It is cheaper and takes less time to just force you to replace the vehicle than to deal with all the things that come up during the repair process.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Zero frame damage. Looked at the estimate and the bulk of the cost was the electrical components that were damaged. Airbag and calibration were $1500. Just about 9k was electrical items. The remainder was the body work and a few engine parts such as the radiators that were damaged.
Anyway, just picked up my new 2022 Accord Hybrid Sport this afternoon. Couldn't find any insights in the 5-state area. Closest ones to MN were in Missouri and Tennessee. haha. Anyway, appreciate the comments and the help this forum has been. Going to hop over to the accord one going forward.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Zero frame damage. Looked at the estimate and the bulk of the cost was the electrical components that were damaged. Airbag and calibration were $1500. Just about 9k was electrical items. The remainder was the body work and a few engine parts such as the radiators that were damaged.
Anyway, just picked up my new 2022 Accord Hybrid Sport this afternoon. Couldn't find any insights in the 5-state area. Closest ones to MN were in Missouri and Tennessee. haha. Anyway, appreciate the comments and the help this forum has been. Going to hop over to the accord one going forward.
I, and others I’m sure, would be interested in a comparison of your new Accord hybrid to the Insight. You know, comparisons of ride, handling, power, comfort…I hope you give us one before you disappear;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts