Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering if anyone has replaced the cabin air filter yet. I don't see anything in the manual on how to do this. Of course, I'm making the assumption the G3 Insight has one.

Anyone?

·
Super Moderator
3,315 Posts
Haven't had to replace yet, but did a quick search and found the part/instructions should be similar to Civic (80292-TBA-A11).

A couple OEM sites (HondaPartsNow and Bernardi) specifically mention compatibility with the 2019 Insight. The College Hills Honda site doesn't list compatibility with the 2019 Insight, but does provide a video overview/instruction the other sites don't have.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Page 559 of the owners manual says if the maintenance code reads 2 then it is time to replace the dust and pollen filter. if you drive in primarily urban areas with high concentrations of soot it should be replaced every 15,000 miles or 24,000 km. I can't find anything that says where it is but I assume it is behind the glove box.

·
Super Moderator
3,315 Posts
Page 559 of the owners manual says if the maintenance code reads 2 then it is time to replace the dust and pollen filter. if you drive in primarily urban areas with high concentrations of soot it should be replaced every 15,000 miles or 24,000 km. I can't find anything that says where it is but I assume it is behind the glove box.
I think you're right... If it's like the 10th Gen Civic, this youtube video shows the access and position behind the glovebox.

·
Super Moderator
2,334 Posts
I'm wondering if anyone has replaced the cabin air filter yet. I don't see anything in the manual on how to do this. Of course, I'm making the assumption the G3 Insight has one.

Anyone?
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1u5G2L1i0WrhUllzr42oWEzFGJv1E6YQ9/view?usp=sharing
I just bought one a week ago on eBay(had a coupon) for when I need to do a change. It looks exactly the same as the one used in my 2014 CRV and 2009 Civic but the part number is different. The cabin filter should be behind the glovebox just like any other Honda vehicle. Going to check mine out later today to shake out some of the bigger debris probably on it since I got the car.

·
Super Moderator
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just visited my car and checked. The video posted by @insightfully is accurate. It appears to be the same filter as my wife's 2018 Civic sedan.

·
Super Moderator
2,334 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,315 Posts
Just took some pictures of the cabin filter and location. Plus I found this white pad stuck behind the glove box. I wonder what the pad is for because my previous Honda vehicles didn't have this behind the glove box.
Umm, it kinda looks like a doggie pee pad. What did the padded part feel like filling-wise - e.g. fibers? carbon granules? Potential moisture, odor, or vibration absorbance come to mind as possible reasons for that being in place where it is...?

·
Super Moderator
2,334 Posts
Umm, it kinda looks like a doggie pee pad. What did the padded part feel like filling-wise - e.g. fibers? carbon granules? Potential moisture, odor, or vibration absorbance come to mind as possible reasons for that being in place where it is...?
Feels like fiber. Reminds me of those white pads underneath meat you buy at the grocery store. Can't find any info on what that white pad is for, or any mention about it with google.

·
Super Moderator
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Feels like fiber. Reminds me of those white pads underneath meat you buy at the grocery store. Can't find any info on what that white pad is for, or any mention about it with google.
I noticed the same type of pad when I built in my garage door openers behind the left side dash panel containing the traction control button. I actually used the pad by pulling it out and stuffing the opener box into it once I had the wiring soldered to a momentary switch on the dash.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Air filter and cabin

Has anyone changed their air filter and air cabin? I wanna change mine, but I need a guide on changing them with pictures. I got 37k miles on my insight.

·
Super Moderator
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I changed mine a couple months ago. It's simple.

This Civic video is dead-on balls accurate for the Insight.

·
Super Moderator
3,315 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,315 Posts
On the other note, the air cabin filter was so dirty though. It caught some small leaves and some other stuff. I wonder if that’s normal for air cabin filter?
See earlier posts in thread.

Similar to the timing and message for the engine air filter, the Maintenance Minder should trigger an 'item sub code 2' message (post #3). It's not uncommon for the cabin air filter to catch large debris; the 3rd picture link in post #7 shows this after ~5 months of driving/ownership.

If you want to change it earlier than the reminder advises, it's always within your choice/option to do so.

·
Super Moderator
2,334 Posts
Thanks. I got the engine air filter out. This is how it looks on 37k miles. Should I replace it?

On the other note, the air cabin filter was so dirty though. It caught some small leaves and some other stuff. I wonder if that’s normal for air cabin filter?
If we're going by Honda's recommendation both of the filters should had been replaced by 30,000 miles.

·
Super Moderator
3,315 Posts
If we're going by Honda's recommendation both of the filters should had been replaced by 30,000 miles.
Is the 30k based on prior maintenance schedules Honda provided, before moving to Maintenance Minder messaging? The Insight manual only mentions replacing both filters at 15k miles under "severe" conditions. I'd expect the Insight's Maintenance Minder sub code 2 message appear to remind/advise of replacement timing...

·
Super Moderator
2,334 Posts
Is the 30k based on prior maintenance schedules Honda provided, before moving to Maintenance Minder messaging? The Insight manual only mentions replacing both filters at 15k miles under "severe" conditions. I'd expect the Insight's Maintenance Minder sub code 2 message appear to remind/advise of replacement timing...
I remember reading about it from a Honda maintenance sheet I found awhile back. It was 15k or 1 year (both cabin & engine filter) for cleaning(I assume with a vac or shaking to get rid of the large debris like leaves) and 30k or 2 year for replacement. 15k or 1 year for "severe" conditions.

I have been using a vac at the car wash every few months to get rid of the large debris in the cabin filter. Going to do a visual check of the engine filter at the 1 year mark. Not going to rely on the Maintenance Minder for this since it can't detect if the filters are too dirty.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts