Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With Automatic Climate Control engaged, the temperature inside my 2019 Insight seems to run about 5-6 degrees F higher than the temperature I have selected.

Anyone else having a similar experience?

·
Super Moderator
2019 OWP Insight EX
1,300 Posts
I've never had a car with a cabin temp that would accurately be what it was set to. That said, mine is a few degrees warmer just like yours.

·
Administrator
4,315 Posts
It's normal for control loops to under/over-shoot, then stabilize to the target set point given enough operating time. Additionally, one of the key sensors for Automatic Climate Control is at the front windshield, which will be one of the cooler areas of the car due to proximity to exterior. The temperature could be running higher in the interior areas to deliver the "right" temperature at the window sensor.

Attachments

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So are you saying that in summer I can expect the interior to run cooler than my set point until some stabilizing point is reached?

·
Administrator
4,315 Posts
So are you saying that in summer I can expect the interior to run cooler than my set point until some stabilizing point is reached?
Control loops generally over/under-shoot based on feedback and error correction, to meet the set point as the steady state.
- In colder temps, I think the system is over-shooting because it's trying to offset the cool temperature of the window sensor.
- In warmer temps, I think the system will under-shoot because it will try to offset the warm temperature of the window sensor.

I haven't tried the A/C yet... but depending on the "strength" of the A/C system output and the conditions around the sensor, the amount of under-shoot may be less noticeable if the system itself can't deliver enough cooling output.

Attachments

·
Registered
355 Posts
The sensor in the windshield sees the intensity of the sun and adjust the blower speed accordingly. The sensor under the steering wheel senses humidth and temp. I have an hour long drive in Florida every day and took a calibrated temperature monitor from the clean room I work in. After about 30 minutes the temp is within 2 degrees in the front seating areas. I haven’t really checked out what the heating is like.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts