Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question for you Insight experts.
If your car is locked, and someone breaks into the vehicle (mine's an LX), can the trunk be opened with the interior switch, or does it need the key fob
for the trunk release to work?
Thanks!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Once you break into the car all you have to do is fold the rear seat forward and you are into the trunk

·
Registered
77 Posts
Sorry that is wrong. Those pieces behind the seats are for the tethers although there is an extra one on the drivers side beside the tether that looks like you need to pry open with a screwdriver. Any idea what is under there

·
Registered
646 Posts
Sorry that is wrong. Those pieces behind the seats are for the tethers although there is an extra one on the drivers side beside the tether that looks like you need to pry open with a screwdriver. Any idea what is under there
That is an emergency trunk release in case of battery failure. Been a long time since I looked at it. I think you need the actual physical key to use it. You can't pull the seats down without pulling the handles in the trunk so it's fairly secure as it is.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Yes that is correct. I didn’t know that. It is explained on page 650 in the manual. Still learning stuff about the car

·
Registered
123 Posts
I have a question for you Insight experts.
If your car is locked, and someone breaks into the vehicle (mine's an LX), can the trunk be opened with the interior switch, or does it need the key fob
for the trunk release to work?
Thanks!
I just tested whether the interior trunk button will open the trunk if someone broke in.

To test I:

1. Opened the window, locked the doors and placed the key fob out of range.
  2. The car automatically locked and the RED alarm light flashed on the dash.
  3. I put my hand through the window and depressed the trunk release button.
  4. The trunk unlatched and the alarm (baby horn) went off.
  5. I would assume the same would happen if the door was opened.

Reactions: andrew28

·
Registered
48 Posts
Fold down rear seats can only be accessed in the Touring model from Inside the trunk. If they allow the switch to open the trunk while doors are locked, I think that's a Major Flaw in the Design and Safety of the vehicle.

·
Administrator
4,221 Posts
Fold down rear seats can only be accessed in the Touring model from Inside the trunk. If they allow the switch to open the trunk while doors are locked, I think that's a Major Flaw in the Design and Safety of the vehicle.
I think all Insight trims have the "fold down seat" release levers in the trunk (LX = full seat back, EX/Touring = 60/40 split).

There are 5 ways to open the trunk (attached). I like being able to open the trunk after the doors are locked, and use it often. I think Honda's "locking logic" is set to enable this as a "feature." The shortfall is that an interlock isn't in place to KEEP the trunk locked if/when the security system is actively alarming.

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
I just tested whether the interior trunk button will open the trunk if someone broke in.

To test I:

1. Opened the window, locked the doors and placed the key fob out of range.
  2. The car automatically locked and the RED alarm light flashed on the dash.
  3. I put my hand through the window and depressed the trunk release button.
  4. The trunk unlatched and the alarm (baby horn) went off.
  5. I would assume the same would happen if the door was opened.
Just for historical reference, the 1977 Chevy Caprice with the electronic trunk release required the key to be in the ignition and turned at least to allow battery power for the trunk release to work. Same for other GMs of that era I've encountered. But I think over the years a lot of car makers have gone over to trunk releases that don't require attention from the ignition. For my taste I'd prefer the old interlocking protocol to come back. With this basic electric release button approach Honda may as well have put the seatback latches in the cabin of the car instead of hiding in the trunk.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all of the replies. My old 2005 civic hybrid (my insight replaced it), had a key switch next to the driver seat that would either
lock the trunk from being opened without a key or lock the fuel cover. I kind of agree with Markyp32 that it's a flaw.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX (White Orchid Pearl)
2,758 Posts
The 10th gen Accord has a trunk lock switch behind the glove box. Maybe Honda doesn't think us Insight drivers would store anything in the trunk to save on gas. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
142 Posts
On page 650 it tells how to open the trunk for the inside. Not that easy but can be done.
That's the whole problem here! If someone were to break into the Insight, Honda did not think it was important to give the Insight the ability to keep a thief from getting into the trunk. :sad:

·
Administrator
4,221 Posts
That's the whole problem here! If someone were to break into the Insight, Honda did not think it was important to give the Insight the ability to keep a thief from getting into the trunk. :sad:
With the Insight design sitting 'between' the Civic and Accord designs, we unfortunately got the Civic low-end design which also lacks glovebox lock and trunk/valet lock.

My older (90s) Honda has an outside trunk key hole AND a trunk/valet lock inside the cabin. But the trunk can still be opened from the outside key hole, regardless of the valet lock. Honda's design decisions in this regard haven't made sense for a while...

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You're so right, Insightfully. I also have a 2010 Element, which DOES have a lock on the glove box. I can't understand why the Insight doesn't have that either. . .
(of course, if someone wants in, they'll get in, no matter what).

·
Registered
7 Posts
any thief willing to break into the car will get into the trunk if they want to, even if honda tried to secure it. locks only keep out honest thieves...

·
Registered
142 Posts
any thief willing to break into the car will get into the trunk if they want to, even if honda tried to secure it. locks only keep out honest thieves...
I agree 100%. Locks and other security measures don't stop someone who is "**** bent" on theft/damage of other's property from carrying out their intent. Having worked as an adjuster for auto insurance claims for 20 years, I saw plenty of this type damage. Security measures only help to deter someone who is "thinking twice" about making a bad decision.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts