Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was surprised by the choices made when selecting the options that have been offered in Canada.
I realize Canada is a smaller market, and can not have all the options offered in the US.

I am specifically concerned with the tire size, and it's effect on fuel efficiency, and cost.

In the US market, there are 3 models LX, EX, and Touring

The LX and EX are offered with 215 / 55 R16 93V tires, which give the car 55 US mpg city.
The touring has the 215 / 50 R17 91H tires, which give the car 51 US mpg city. ( A 7% reduction)

The LX or EX can be upgraded to the 215 / 50 R17 91H less efficient tire at a cost of $2,077 USD ($2,742 CAD)

The Canadian market only has the EX, and Touring.
Both the EX and touring models can only be ordered with the 215 / 50 R17 91H tires.

This has two very undesirable effects.

Fuel Efficiency
The 17" tire achieves only 4.61 l/100km, compare to the 16", which gets 4.28.
From the OEE web site, this drops the ranking from 3rd place, to 7th place.

4.28l/100km beats the Prius at 4.3 l/100km

By making the 17" wheel an add on option, the base standard fuel efficiency improves greatly.

COST
By removing the mandatory add on upgrade of $2,742, the price of the base model would drop from $27,990 to $25,248 (The prius costs 27,650)
So this would be another great win.

I can not think of a solid reason not to make the 17" upgrade an option on the base model, like the US model.
People buy hybrids for fuel efficiency, not 17" tires

I have not yet purchased an Insight, and may hold off until 2019 in case they reverse this decision.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Larger tires and differences on rolling resistance sure can affect fuel economy..in either direction. Overall weight does for sure. The weights of the US versions are LX = 2987 lbs. EX = 3000 lbs. and Touring = 3078 lbs. The extra weight of the larger wheels accounts for around 17 pounds of that. I would think the tires on the 17 might weigh slightly less. So the rest of the extra weight is the Moonroof, leather, etc. the other interesting stat is that the weight distribution of the Insight moves slightly rearward as the trim levels increase. I like my 17s and moonroof, and don’t mind trading a couple mpg for them, but I don’t understand why both levels in Canada would come with 17s standard.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX (White Orchid Pearl)
2,774 Posts
Looks like Honda did give us the cheapest Insight of the 4 regions unless the Mexican Insight is comparable to ours. :sad: So the Canadian Insight has the windshield washer fluid empty sensor, MPH digital speedometer, and the rear heated seats.

^@2:15 mark

The lowest trim in Canada is essentially our Touring trim here. :surprise:

·
Super Moderator
2,774 Posts
I just checked the Mexican Insight on the Honda Mexico website. They only get the Touring trim we have here but it comes with a spare tire at least. Honda did shafted us with the cheapest Insight. :(

1. Japanese Insight
  2. Canadian Insight
  3. Mexican Insight
  4. American Insight
I wonder if they do this with the other cars like Civic and Accord in other regions...

@3:36 mark shows spare tire

·
Administrator
4,313 Posts
This recap seems to mirror the Honda CEO’s comments on platform and trim streamlining being needed. “The number of variations currently available are too high to appeal to different regions, leading to excessive complexity and higher costs” – and in this case, discontent in buyers who compare features between regions. ;)

Canadians likely view the MPH digital display as a disadvantage on their side, since their speeds are KPH standard. The complaint would be similar to our 'opposite reading' feedback about in the US model having KPH digital display instead of our MPH standard. We'd also complain about the Celsius temperature reading and liter reading for the gas.

Canadian sales are still relatively low (66 sold in Canada for May 2019; 196 sold in Canada 2019 YTD), and color options are limited for Canada (including a fee for anything other black exterior) - but in exchange the MSRP for the Canadian models is lower than the US.
Canadian "Hybrid" = 22435 USD (29370 CAD - including freight/fees)
Canadian "Touring" = 25184 USD (32970 CAD - including freight/fees)​

I think it's hard to sell hybrids to buyers with severe winters like Canada, so creature comforts are offered instead (?). And maybe Honda thinks Canadians use a disproportionate amount of washer fluid versus Americans (?). But there aren't enough feature differences to make me feel deprived versus the Canadian version.

US pricing and offerings are relative to what’s offered in the US hybrid market, and the US product we received is competitive in that context (e.g. versus Prius or Ioniq). Surely Honda researches the market for each region to determine what features are needed to make it competitive with other offerings, and created tweaks by region.

The good news (?) is that differences between regions is becoming small enough (minor programming? minor parts?) and perhaps this is what Honda is trying to solve with their plans for a single global platform and reduce region/trim options between 2020 and 2025.

·
Super Moderator
2,774 Posts
Now that I think about it they sort of shafted the Canadians/Mexicans by giving them the 17" alloy wheels as the only option. I assume the fuel economy numbers are exactly like the Touring here. I'm kind of wondering if the Japanese Insight amenities being different were intentional rather than it being due to the 6 month launch delay allowing for Honda to rectify some of the missing things on the American Insight. If that was the case, I don't see the 2020 American Insight, offering any major changes until the mid-gen refresh during 2021 or 2022.

Even with the 17" alloy wheels, Canadians really got the better deal. It seems like they're getting close to American "Touring" trim for "LX" trim price on the "Hybrid" trim. :surprise: Even better if they get a spare tire like the Mexican Insight.

·
Administrator
4,313 Posts
I just checked the Mexican Insight on the Honda Mexico website. They only get the Touring trim we have here but it comes with a spare tire at least. Honda did shafted us with the cheapest Insight. :(
I noticed that the Mexican Insight Touring lost fog lights (~$400 USD) and heated seats, since they aren't relevant features for warmer climate/market. So maybe Mexico's heated seats were sent to the Canadian models, and the remaining cost savings on fog lights went toward the Mexican model's spare tire kit, LOL.

Also, the stated MSRP for the Mexican Touring is higher than the Canadian Touring, but the warm weather in Mexico will also mean the hybrid will get consistently high mpg. Maybe hybrids are popular and people pay a premium in Mexico for this reason (?).

Canada Touring = 25184 USD (32970 CAD - including freight/fees)
Mexico Touring = 28923 USD (549900 MXN)
Amer. Touring = 29110 USD (including destination fee)

·
Registered
78 Posts
The price you quoted for the Canadian Touring is a little off. The price is actually $33,776 Canadian or roughly $25,827 US although if we were buying US dollars there would be an extra 3-3.5% premium on top of that. Also we have to pay an additional 13% sales tax.Not sure if there are any US states with sales tax that high. The hybrid trim ( the only other trim available ) is $29,876 Canadian or roughly $22,845 US plus premium if exchanging dollars and 13% tax. The touring does get the heated rear seats ( outboard sides only ), the low washer fluid light but you forgot to mention we also get front mud flaps standard and we can also turn off the sound at low speeds that warn pedestrians. No spare tire just the kit. We don't get the extra colour choices and only one interior colour choice.

·
Administrator
4,313 Posts
Thanks for completing the Canadian data. I had a feeling that taxes were left off the Honda CA build site, similar to Honda USA where taxes and fees vary by state.

According to this website on 2019 car sales tax, the 11 US states listed below are among the highest, with car sales taxes exceeding 10%. The highest taxed state is Oklahoma, at 11.50%... so it looks like Canada 'wins' the prize for highest North America car tax rate:
Oklahoma: 11.50%
Louisiana: 11.45%
Arkansas: 11.25%
Arizona, Colorado: 11.20%
Alabama, Illinois: 11.00%
Kansas: 10.60%
Washington: 10.40%
California: 10.25%
Missouri: 10.10%​

·
Super Moderator
2,774 Posts
The price you quoted for the Canadian Touring is a little off. The price is actually $33,776 Canadian or roughly $25,827 US although if we were buying US dollars there would be an extra 3-3.5% premium on top of that. Also we have to pay an additional 13% sales tax.Not sure if there are any US states with sales tax that high. The hybrid trim ( the only other trim available ) is $29,876 Canadian or roughly $22,845 US plus premium if exchanging dollars and 13% tax. The touring does get the heated rear seats ( outboard sides only ), the low washer fluid light but you forgot to mention we also get front mud flaps standard and we can also turn off the sound at low speeds that warn pedestrians. No spare tire just the kit. We don't get the extra colour choices and only one interior colour choice.
It's funny how they give you guys just the front 2 mudflaps. :smile_big: I think Honda should've made our Touring similar to the Touring in Canada. It could of helped them simplify the manufacturing process while giving more incentive to upgrade to the Touring (especially those of us that live in the northern parts of the US).

I did some research on importing a car to the US from Canada. It seems like a pain(https://www.ezbordercrossing.com/th...port-a-vehicle/importing-vehicle-from-canada/) and the factory warranty can't be transfer to American Honda without proof of Canadian residency.
If I move to the United States with my Canadian Honda, will the manufacturer's warranty be valid in the U.S.?
Technically, as is stated in the Warranty Guide that is provided in the glove box of every vehicle sold, the manufacturer's warranty provided by Honda Canada Inc. is only valid for vehicles that are "normally operated in Canada". However, American Honda will provide warranty coverage for the applicable warranty period if you fax or mail the following documents before you move to the United States:

• A copy of a current Canadian driver's license to show proof of Canadian residency
  • A copy of the Canadian Bill of Sale, which must have the VIN, selling dealer name, and engine number
  • A copy of the Canadian permanent vehicle registration. Temporary registration is not acceptable.
  • A copy of the current vehicle registration in the United States.
You must contact American Honda Automobile Customer Relations (1-800-999-1009) to determine if the above applies in your specific case, and if the warranty provided by Honda Canada Inc. can be applied to your situation.
I noticed that the Mexican Insight Touring lost fog lights (~$400 USD) and heated seats, since they aren't relevant features for warmer climate/market. So maybe Mexico's heated seats were sent to the Canadian models, and the remaining cost savings on fog lights went toward the Mexican model's spare tire kit, LOL.

Also, the stated MSRP for the Mexican Touring is higher than the Canadian Touring, but the warm weather in Mexico will also mean the hybrid will get consistently high mpg. Maybe hybrids are popular and people pay a premium in Mexico for this reason (?).

Canada Touring = 25184 USD (32970 CAD - including freight/fees)
Mexico Touring = 28923 USD (549900 MXN)
Amer. Touring = 29110 USD (including destination fee)
It makes you wonder what kind of crazy set-up they have going on in that Indiana plant with all these differing trims and variations for each region.

·
Administrator
4,313 Posts
i did some research on importing a car to the us from canada. It seems like a pain(https://www.ezbordercrossing.com/th...port-a-vehicle/importing-vehicle-from-canada/) and the factory warranty can't be transfer to american honda without proof of canadian residency.
Canadian Hondas would also miss out on the 'extended emissions warranty' benefit in select US states (CA, CT, DE, ME, MD, MA, NJ, NY, OR, PA, RI, VT, WA), which extends high voltage battery coverage to 10 years, and hybrid battery monitoring systems to 15 years.

Ironically, half of the states with this 'extended emissions warranty' border Canada (ME, NY, PA, RI, VT, WA), and given the choice between US/Canada, buying in the US provides the longer hybrid system coverage benefit.

·
Super Moderator
2,774 Posts
Canadian Hondas would also miss out on the 'extended emissions warranty' benefit in select US states (CA, CT, DE, ME, MD, MA, NJ, NY, OR, PA, RI, VT, WA), which extends high voltage battery coverage to 10 years, and hybrid battery monitoring systems to 15 years.

Ironically, half of the states with this 'extended emissions warranty' border Canada (ME, NY, PA, RI, VT, WA), and given the choice between US/Canada, buying in the US provides the longer hybrid system coverage benefit.
Plus the fact, I can't drive back into MA without permanent registration plates(illegal to drive with temporary plates for MA residents), and the whole insurance thing.

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfi...nd/czy3xxo/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x
I also found this interesting about Canadian cars similar to how in Mexico Honda took away the heated seats. :D

·
Administrator
4,313 Posts
I did some research on importing a car to the US from Canada. It seems like a pain(https://www.ezbordercrossing.com/th...port-a-vehicle/importing-vehicle-from-canada/) and the factory warranty can't be transfer to American Honda without proof of Canadian residency.
Maybe cross-border transfer is a common question for Canadians to ask (?), because the Honda Canada site has a whole FAQ section dedicated to the topic:

CA/US vehicle transfer - https://www.honda.ca/owners/faqs/vehicle-movement

·
Administrator
4,313 Posts
I've now seen a grand total of four other Insights! One in Ontario where I work, and three in the city where I live in SE Michigan (hence my username). All but one have been the same colour as mine; cosmic blue.

My first sighting was the Ontario one. When I bought mine back in November, the salesman told me he'd been selling more Insights than any other Honda vehicle, yet I never saw another one in my city until about a month ago.
Interesting that you live close enough to have choice of US or Canadian model. Did you buy your Insight on the US side (ivory interior) or the Canada side (black interior)?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Interesting that you live close enough to have choice of US or Canadian model. Did you buy your Insight on the US side (ivory interior) or the Canada side (black interior)?

I bought it in the USA, so ivory interior. I'm glad I didn't know that Canada had the black interior until recently, otherwise I would have had major regret. The ivory interior is the only thing I truly dislike about the car.

·
Administrator
4,313 Posts
I bought it in the USA, so ivory interior. I'm glad I didn't know that Canada had the black interior until recently, otherwise I would have had major regret. The ivory interior is the only thing I truly dislike about the car.
Canadian Insights also offer standard heated front seats on the EX trim. Would you have wanted that as well?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Canadian Insights also offer standard heated front seats on the EX trim. Would you have wanted that as well?
Funny you ask that. When I bought this car, it seemed like the first question every single person asked was, "Does it have heated seats?!" I didn't realize heated seats were so exciting, haha. But meh, I don't care about heated seats too much either way. I can take them or leave them.

·
Super Moderator
2,774 Posts
He would have to bring his Insight to a Canadian dealership every time he needs service since he won't be able to transfer the factory warranty to the US without proof of Canadian residency.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts