Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been driving my Insight for just over 6 weeks and have yet to see another one on the road so it got me thinking how many have been sold.This is for the month of March 2019 and it appears that only 41 have been sold with a total of 100 for the year.I think the biggest issue here is lack of inventory and no promotion of the car. When I went to have a look at the car initially I had to scour the internet looking for a dealer who even had one
http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2019/04/march-2019-the-best-selling-vehicles-in-canada-every-vehicle-ranked/

·
Super Moderator
4,098 Posts
A few factors may be at play in this: 1) historical sales for the Insight predicts a smaller market in Canada (e.g. cold temp impact on hybrid); 2) the G3 Insight is produced in the US, then shipped abroad (separate/smaller production runs for Canada). Looking at additional data on the site you referenced:
  • Canada sales for a model year starts later than US (e.g. 2019 Civic YTD sales = 0 in Canada, 107k in US)
  • At prior peak sales for the Insight (2010), Canadian Insight sales were only 5% as large as US Insight sales.
  • Also in prior peak year for the Insight (2010), the G2 Insight was 'only' 2% the size of the Civic market in Canada.
When it comes to data forecasting (which I do a lot of daily... thus data geek), the saying is "the past predicts the future." And a comparison of calculations/methods is used to validate forecast predictions. So if I had the above data and were Honda, starting forecast predictions for the Insight would be:
  • 2% of Canadian Civic market = 56091 sold in 2018 x 2% = 1122 Insight forecasted sales in Canada
  • 5% of US Insight sales = 20000 unit projected sales x 5% = 1000 Insight forecasted sales in Canada
Both calculation methods based on historical sales predict that Canada should sell ~1k Insights in a year. But with the later (-6 mo) start in Canadian sales, this number could be half that (500 Insights sold in Canada for the 2019 model year).

Production decisions are based on forecast calculations like this, so unfortunately it can also become a self-fulfilling prophecy - i.e. "don't build it and they won't come." I'm sure Honda also cross-references Toyota Prius sales data in the same way to decide how much to produce by country. Overall, I think the Canadian hybrid sales/market would need to make a big step change before Honda is prompted to produce more Insights for Canada.

·
Super Moderator
2,713 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,713 Posts
Honda as a whole has been slipping.

What they should have does was launch an Insight crossover... "Insight Cross"
Crossovers and SUV's are what people want. The new RDX is a clear indication of that.

Just ignore sales stats from last month https://www.dispatch.com/business/20190501/honda-sales-rise-acura-sales-dip-in-april
They did launch a new Hybrid CRV last year but didn't bring it to North America for some reason. It's currently sold in the UK, Japan, and probably other regions.

·
Super Moderator
4,098 Posts
I found the above chart directly from Honda Canada for 2018 sales. The Civic seems to be doing pretty well against the CRV in both countries. I think Honda just needs to promote the Insight because most people don't know that it exist.
For perspective though, Canada Civic sales (69k) are only ~20% the size of U.S. Civic sales (326k). With Civics and Accords outselling Insights, and all being produced at the same Indiana plant there have to be capacity constraints and production choices. That Honda isn't pushing the Insight seems like they can't produce enough of them yet and/or are still prioritizing the Civic/Accord. Maybe with recent news of Accord production being pulled back, it opens more room for Insight production. Speaking from experience, no manufacturer wants to carry excess inventory, and "producing to demand" (and having an accurate forecast) is a way to avoid that.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The Canadian market for cars is way smaller than the US due to the fact that our population is only 1/10th that of the US so you are right. However Honda does make the Civic and CRV in Ontario. According to Honda Canada's website there were approximately 210,000 Civic's made last year in Ontario making about 140,000 headed for the US market which would account for roughly 40% of US Civic sales.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I am in Vancouver, BC. I got mine in Nov 2018. It's been 6 months and I have only seen other Insight's 5 times on the road. They are all in white though and they may actually be the same car!

·
Super Moderator
4,098 Posts
The Canadian market for cars is way smaller than the US due to the fact that our population is only 1/10th that of the US so you are right. However Honda does make the Civic and CRV in Ontario. According to Honda Canada's website there were approximately 210,000 Civic's made last year in Ontario making about 140,000 headed for the US market which would account for roughly 40% of US Civic sales.
Ah, right - good point. The last Civic I bought was in fact manufactured in Canada!

·
Super Moderator
2,713 Posts
https://www.honda.mx/autos/insight/
Honda sells the Insight in Mexico, too. I wonder how well it is doing down there... I was curious about where the Insight is sold around the world so I went checking out Honda's global websites. It seems like Canada, US, Mexico, and Japan are the only places you can buy the 3rd gen Insight.

I also discovered that Honda makes 2 vehicles (BRV & WRV) not sold here that are probably part of the CRV & HRV family.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Part of the problem is that Honda doesn't even advertise the Insight. At least not here in the Cinci market

·
Super Moderator
4,098 Posts
https://www.honda.mx/autos/insight/
Honda sells the Insight in Mexico, too. I wonder how well it is doing down there... I was curious about where the Insight is sold around the world so I went checking out Honda's global websites. It seems like Canada, US, Mexico, and Japan are the only places you can buy the 3rd gen Insight.
Looks like cumulative Mexico sales are only in the triple digits, but are higher than Canada (probably because hybrids do better in warm weather, even if priced at a premium in Mexico over Canada).

See this post for a summary of Japan, US, Canada, and Mexico available sales data as of 8/10/19:
https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/21424-post5.html

1 - 12 of 12 Posts