Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has been discussed before and I have read a lot about the the last 6 digits being the production number of the car but I'm wondering if this is completely right. I bought my Insight Touring on March 20th and it had a build date of January 2019 but the last 6 digits are 400451. I know they haven't built that many Insights and I know that very few are being sent to Canada. Maybe the 4 at the beginning means something else. Any other Insight owners up in Canada that can check their vin numbers to see what their numbers are. Just curious

·
Registered
41 Posts
I know this has been discussed before and I have read a lot about the the last 6 digits being the production number of the car but I'm wondering if this is completely right. I bought my Insight Touring on March 20th and it had a build date of January 2019 but the last 6 digits are 400451. I know they haven't built that many Insights and I know that very few are being sent to Canada. Maybe the 4 at the beginning means something else. Any other Insight owners up in Canada that can check their vin numbers to see what their numbers are. Just curious
I bought my Insight Touring 1 August 2018 in Ottawa. My last six numbers of the VIN are 400081. I don't know if there is another digit or letter in the VIN that would signify Canadian production vehicles versus U.S. production vehicles. Going by my VIN I am either the 81st Insight manufactured overall or the 81st manufactured to Canadian specs. I have yet to see another one on the road in Ottawa and I am fine with that. Nice to be different. I have just turned 6000 km and I am a big fan of the Insight. Be sure to get some good deep floor mats before next winter. Lots of recommendations on the forum.

·
Super Moderator
2,713 Posts
Checking my local Honda dealership's website, I'm already seeing a Insight with last 6 digit VIN of 030838. The Insight is currently sold in 4 regions (US, Mexico, Canada, and Japan). I'm guessing the first digit of the last 6 digits refers to the region being sold.

0 = US
4 = Canada
2 or 3 is probably Mexico or Japan

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes that sounds very logical. So that means that there might be just over 500 in Canada. I have just over 800km ( 500 miles ) on mine and have never seen another one. To answer Misterb I bought a complete set of Tuxmats and trunk liner, got the rear mudflaps, had the 3M clear protector applied 24" up the hood, on the lights and fog lights, backs of mirrors and top of rear bumper. Also did the Krown spray application. I think I will be good for this coming winter.

·
Super Moderator
4,102 Posts
Saw this online: "Production sequence number (digits #12-17 in Honda VIN): Canadian models share same VIN as U.S. except that their sequence numbers start at [a different initial number]. In the U.S., positions 13-17 must be a number, whereas position 12 may be either a letter or a number."

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,246 Posts
In all seriousness, I'd like to find a way to know what day of the week our Insights were built. I truly believe mine was built on a Tuesday.

·
Super Moderator
4,102 Posts
In all seriousness, I'd like to find a way to know what day of the week our Insights were built. I truly believe mine was built on a Tuesday.
Serial number is the closest we can get in VIN coding; we'd need to cross-reference a production schedule from Honda to see which days each serial number was produced.

As Honda talks more about eliminating production shifts and more downtime, I'd also be concerned about which cars are produced at a start-up rather than in steady state. Speaking from production experience/observations, I'd prefer to have a car from the middle-of-a-run, than the first one off the line after days/weeks of non-production.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts