Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Car & Driver is now at 37k miles on their Insight long-term test model, and will end testing at 40k miles.

At this point, C&D assesses the Insight as a stoic/zero-drama experience, with no unscheduled maintenance issues to date. They think the seat is now 'broken in' and more comfortable versus initial complaints. And they've (only?) achieved 41 mpg average fuel efficiency over 37k miles and 11 months.

I'm still waiting on their follow-up on the engine vibration mention that surfaced in their prior review. Hope they include it in the final 40k wrap-up...

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a26287347/2019-honda-insight-reliability-maintenance/

·
Registered
836 Posts
Car & Driver is now at 37k miles on their Insight long-term test model, and will end testing at 40k miles.

At this point, C&D assesses the Insight as a stoic/zero-drama experience, with no unscheduled maintenance issues to date. They think the seat is now 'broken in' and more comfortable versus initial complaints. And they've (only?) achieved 41 mpg average fuel efficiency over 37k miles and 11 months.

I'm still waiting on their follow-up on the engine vibration mention that surfaced in their prior review. Hope they include it in the final 40k wrap-up...

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a26287347/2019-honda-insight-reliability-maintenance/
I'm sure the fact that when they went in for service, and they were told the tires were under inflated didn't help their gas mileage at all.

·
Registered
836 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,339 Posts
I'm sure the fact that when they went in for service, and they were told the tires were under inflated didn't help their gas mileage at all.
It was mentioned in the car and driver comment section that their drivers have lead foot. Most of the cars in the long term fleet are fast cars so I wouldn't blame them for not driving fuel efficiently.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I didnt read article but it would be interesting to find out if they logged their driving efficiency ratings every time and averaged it out (the clovers you get at the end of a ride).. When i first got the car, i was not getting a perfect score (1 clover off) but as i learned to drive the car for better efficiency and made it a habit to use pedals for better brake regeneration (i use it almost at every stop light and stop sign and even speed bumps and freeway sometimes), ive consistently been getting a perfect score every night..

Im at 49.8 mpg now..

I remember years ago.. An attorney that bought a Civic Hybrid successfully sued Honda for stating her Civic Hybrid would get a certain MPG and she got nowhere near that (maybe 10mpg below?) and got as much as she could out of small claims court in her state as she could, a little under 10k, which is max in small claims in CA.. Might've been California if im not mistaken.

Im just glad im getting near 50mpg.. if it goes up, even better, but im happy now at around ~50mpg..

·
Super Moderator
3,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I remember years ago.. An attorney that bought a Civic Hybrid successfully sued Honda for stating her Civic Hybrid would get a certain MPG and she got nowhere near that (maybe 10mpg below?) and got as much as she could out of small claims court in her state as she could, a little under 10k, which is max in small claims in CA.. Might've been California if im not mistaken.
Articles on the 2012 small claims suit for a 2006 Civic Hybrid:
Popular Mechanics - https://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/a7473/should-you-sue-an-automaker-over-bad-fuel-economy-6693124/
Consumer Reports - https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2012/02/car-owner-wins-lawsuit-over-honda-civic-hybrid-mileage-claims/index.htm

Honda back-adjusted the fuel economy figures for those models after the lawsuit. The main claim against Honda was that they 'knowingly' misrepresented the data, although the EPA results supported it. Doesn't quite make sense to me... this lawsuit wouldn't have happened for a conventional car, because (literally) your mileage may vary.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Great mpg at high altitude

I didnt read article but it would be interesting to find out if they logged their driving efficiency ratings every time and averaged it out (the clovers you get at the end of a ride).. When i first got the car, i was not getting a perfect score (1 clover off) but as i learned to drive the car for better efficiency and made it a habit to use pedals for better brake regeneration (i use it almost at every stop light and stop sign and even speed bumps and freeway sometimes), ive consistently been getting a perfect score every night..

Im at 49.8 mpg now..

Im just glad im getting near 50mpg.. if it goes up, even better, but im happy now at around ~50mpg..
The altitude of where I live is 7,800 feet and I have to deal with a lot of hills nevertheless I´m getting 47 mpg, I´m sure if I would be at sea level I would get more than 50 mpg.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I'm consistently 50-51 mpg average on a Touring but I consciously drive a certain way (lots of coasting, etc) and i'm in north Florida, where it's mostly flat and never gets below 45F (rarely). Highway driving is the only struggle... If I want to go 80mph, I can only manage around 40mpg.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts