Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a26287347/2019-honda-insight-reliability-maintenance/

• The meager fuel supply means we've had to stop for refills every 350 or so miles.
  • In early April, once Michigan began its two-month thaw, we noticed the car's A/C was not working. After a quick look, our local dealer found that the condenser (a heat exchanger that looks like a radiator in the front of the car) had been damaged by what we assume was road debris. Replacing the condenser and recharging the system relieved us of $1125.
  • We also had to replace a cracked windshield for $865, which on its own didn't seem outrageous. But learning that the cameras and sensors hidden beneath it in the rearview-mirror housing require a $120 calibration had the silent feel of extortion.
  • The Insight's onboard computer has so far called for just one service, an "A1" in Honda speak, which translated to an oil change and tire rotation that set us back a whopping $67.
  • In addition to contributing to the car's droning highway character, the winter tires we fitted in January, a set of perfectly fine OE-size Bridgestone Blizzak WS80s, hampered the Insight's fuel economy a bit. At about a third of the way through our test, we're now averaging 38 mpg, up 1 mpg from the initial miles set on winter tires.
  • One comment in the Insight's logbook noted that the engine's startup was uncharacteristically lumpy, so much so that passengers could feel the 1.5-liter chugging at idle. It smoothed out in a few miles yet has since been noticed on more than one occasion. While it's not so rough as to warrant a separate trip to the dealer, we'll be sure to ask the service techs to take a close look at the Insight's engine mounts when it goes in for its next scheduled service.
I think car & driver is getting a lower reported average mpg due to being located in Michigan and having the Touring trim with snow tires while Motor Trend has the EX located in California. Looks like car & driver confirmed my concerns with rocks hitting the AC condensor... Along with a cracked windshield and lumpy engine (similar to misfire thread here?).

·
Registered
46 Posts
The AC issue they had is concerning. As well as the possible engine mount/vibration issue.

Hopefully it’s not a sign of these being common issues.

·
Super Moderator
3,492 Posts
I think car & driver is getting a lower reported average mpg due to being located in Michigan and having the Touring trim with snow tires while Motor Trend has the EX located in California. Looks like car & driver confirmed my concerns with rocks hitting the AC condensor... Along with a cracked windshield and lumpy engine (similar to misfire thread here?).
Yes, the engine vibration sounds very much like the theme described in the Engine Misfire thread: at/near start-up, noticeable from interior, stops after driving, and rough but not extreme. Interesting that they suggested checking engine mounts, rather than anything interior to the engine.

·
Super Moderator
3,492 Posts
[*]In early April, once Michigan began its two-month thaw, we noticed the car's A/C was not working. After a quick look, our local dealer found that the condenser (a heat exchanger that looks like a radiator in the front of the car) had been damaged by what we assume was road debris. Replacing the condenser and recharging the system relieved us of $1125.
Regarding A/C condenser damage, it's a common topic on Accord and Civic forums as well. The most common protective 'solution' mentioned is adding plastic/polymer gutter guard ($3.88 at my local Lowes) attached to grille with black tie wraps to shield the condenser from larger particles. Most did this by removing the grille, but this person on CivicX mentions attaching it to FRONT of grille which seems easier to try:

"...you don't have to remove anything the way I did it. It's TWO separate long strips that go in the front of those vertical plastic pieces. I secured the two strips using tie wraps to those vertical bars. By putting them in the front, there is less chance that it can somehow end up touching the intercooler. I have 2280 miles so far with no issues"

There are pictures posted in that CivicX thread as well. While it looks a little jerry-rigged, I'm seriously considering this $5 investment rather than waiting for an inevitable $1k+ condenser replacement.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Not a good report. I’m close to pulling the trigger on an Insight Touring but might spend some more on a Camry Hybrid. This will be my first hybrid. I drive a lot, mostly highway, and I need a car that can handle it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a26287347/2019-honda-insight-reliability-maintenance/

• One comment in the Insight's logbook noted that the engine's startup was uncharacteristically lumpy, so much so that passengers could feel the 1.5-liter chugging at idle. It smoothed out in a few miles yet has since been noticed on more than one occasion. While it's not so rough as to warrant a separate trip to the dealer, we'll be sure to ask the service techs to take a close look at the Insight's engine mounts when it goes in for its next scheduled service.
I actually feel this sometimes too. Especially when I start up the car and turn on the climate control which causes the gas engine to run, I do feel a single vibration every 3 seconds or so but it goes away while driving. Does anyone else experience this? Should I bring it in to the dealer?

·
Super Moderator
3,492 Posts
I actually feel this sometimes too. Especially when I start up the car and turn on the climate control which causes the gas engine to run, I do feel a single vibration every 3 seconds or so but it goes away while driving. Does anyone else experience this? Should I bring it in to the dealer?
There are mentions of engine vibration spread thru the forum including the 'Engine Misfire' thread, 'What Kind of Issues Are You Having' thread, and the 'When Was Your Insight Manufactured' thread... so you're in 'good company.'

In the 'Engine Misfire' thread, maynyrd150 commented that posts in Prius forums mention similar symptoms, so it might be hybrid design related... though not all forum members here have experienced or commented on it.

Since it doesn't happen consistently, it's hard to take to dealer to show/replicate the vibration. The Car & Driver article mentions having the engine mount checked, which is something that can be checked. Other than that, I'm waiting on Car & Driver's next report for their findings, and monitoring my car to see if there is any pattern to the occurrence.

·
Registered
29 Posts
There are mentions of engine vibration spread thru the forum including the 'Engine Misfire' thread, 'What Kind of Issues Are You Having' thread, and the 'When Was Your Insight Manufactured' thread... so you're in 'good company.'

In the 'Engine Misfire' thread, maynyrd150 commented that posts in Prius forums mention similar symptoms, so it might be hybrid design related... though not all forum members here have experienced or commented on it.

Since it doesn't happen consistently, it's hard to take to dealer to show/replicate the vibration. The Car & Driver article mentions having the engine mount checked, which is something that can be checked. Other than that, I'm waiting on Car & Driver's next report for their findings, and monitoring my car to see if there is any pattern to the occurrence.
That's comforting to hear I guess haha! Based on other experience it sounds it happens during startup from cold so I'm not terribly concerned but its a little embarrassing to have this on such a new modern car, especially one that we hype up to be smooth and quiet most of the time.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts