Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just in case anyone is looking for a car cover (no covered parking, but have secured lot):

I've been happy with XtremeCoverPro's product that I've been buying on eBay for my 2007 Civic and now Insight. Had black on the Civic - doesn't show bird poop as bad as I thought, stuff washes off of it in the rain. But tried out grey for the Insight thinking that the black cover would make the car warm in the summer. The gold level is waterproof which reduces spotting under the cover if it rains or dirt getting through and leaving your car dirtier than if you left the cover off.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2017-2018-2019-HONDA-INSIGHT-Waterproof-Car-Cover-w-MirrorPocket-Gray/321624768345

·
Registered
87 Posts
Just in case anyone is looking for a car cover (no covered parking, but have secured lot):

I've been happy with XtremeCoverPro's product that I've been buying on eBay for my 2007 Civic and now Insight. Had black on the Civic - doesn't show bird poop as bad as I thought, stuff washes off of it in the rain. But tried out grey for the Insight thinking that the black cover would make the car warm in the summer. The gold level is waterproof which reduces spotting under the cover if it rains or dirt getting through and leaving your car dirtier than if you left the cover off.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2017-2018-2019-HONDA-INSIGHT-Waterproof-Car-Cover-w-MirrorPocket-Gray/321624768345
Looks like a great choice. I went too cheap and got one that isn't waterproof, though it is the same gray as yours and fits well with the mirror pockets.

My garage was modified into an additional bedroom by the previous owner, so the Insight occupies my driveway, totally exposed to the elements. Hopefully I can buy a house with a nice garage soon, but in the meantime a car cover is a necessity. Keeps it significantly cooler on hot days.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had a cheaper car cover before (also purchased from eBay), but the elastic eventually wore out in less than 3 years and it was flying off the car all the time. Had gotten the XtremeCoverPro gold for the drawstrings in case the elastic wore out, but it hasn't after two years.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I had a cheaper car cover before (also purchased from eBay), but the elastic eventually wore out in less than 3 years and it was flying off the car all the time. Had gotten the XtremeCoverPro gold for the drawstrings in case the elastic wore out, but it hasn't after two years.
The version I got has a belt with a fastener that loops under the center of the car, but even with that it can come halfway off the car in strong winds with just the belt and the mirror pockets holding it in place. This can be prevented by more carefully pulling the cover as low as it goes so that the edges are mostly under the car.

I was out of town for a few days and concerned about the cover coming off, but was pleased to see it as I'd left it covering the entire car when I returned home. Still, the drawstring feature on your cover is nice. In addition to keeping the car cooler in the sun, I am hopeful covers will extend the life of various sensors/cams around the exterior for those of us who don't have a garage.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The version I got has a belt with a fastener that loops under the center of the car, but even with that it can come halfway off the car in strong winds with just the belt and the mirror pockets holding it in place. This can be prevented by more carefully pulling the cover as low as it goes so that the edges are mostly under the car.
Yeah the XtremeCoverPros also have that belt that goes under the car, but I've never found that practical to use on a regular basis (how do you pass that floppy belt end from one side of the car, underneath to the other side so that you can reach it and clip it in?), especially when the elastic ends already have been holding the cover down under the strongest of winds without cinching the drawstrings at all.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Yeah the XtremeCoverPros also have that belt that goes under the car, but I've never found that practical to use on a regular basis (how do you pass that floppy belt end from one side of the car, underneath to the other side so that you can reach it and clip it in?), especially when the elastic ends already have been holding the cover down under the strongest of winds without cinching the drawstrings at all.
It is a bit of a pain to swing the belt under the car close enough to the opposite side to where I can clip it in--I grab the belt about a foot from the end and use the weight of the clip to help the inertia of tossing it to the other side. It adds a few seconds to put on the cover but definitely better than finding the cover in a neighbor's yard after strong wind gusts. Anyway, that's what I get for going cheap (under $20 shipped), but it does the needed job of providing shade/cover.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Lucky to be able to work from home the next few months, but don’t drive my 2019 Insight often without my commute, and only have outdoor parking. Anyone on forum have recommendations for a decent car cover with good uv protection (live in San Diego), and decent water protection? Not worried about snow as much as protecting my car from the sun and accumulating grime. We’ve had a fair amount of rain this spring so that’s another consideration.

·
Super Moderator
3,328 Posts
Lucky to be able to work from home the next few months, but don’t drive my 2019 Insight often without my commute, and only have outdoor parking. Anyone on forum have recommendations for a decent car cover with good uv protection (live in San Diego), and decent water protection? Not worried about snow as much as protecting my car from the sun and accumulating grime. We’ve had a fair amount of rain this spring so that’s another consideration.
Added your question to this thread with a couple recommendations for XtremeCoverPro (gold version is waterproof).

Honda also sells an OEM car cover for the GenX Civic, and the Insight has the same body but slightly longer front end than the Civic - 08P34-TBA-100 Genuine Honda Car Cover 4D

And if you're interested, there's a new/unused car cover posted for sale in the forum 'classifieds' section - FOR SALE: Insight new car cover

·
Registered
34 Posts
Added your question to this thread with a couple recommendations for XtremeCoverPro (gold version is waterproof).

Honda also sells an OEM car cover for the GenX Civic, and the Insight has the same body but slightly longer front end than the Civic - 08P34-TBA-100 Genuine Honda Car Cover 4D

And if you're interested, there's a new/unused car cover posted for sale in the forum 'classifieds' section - FOR SALE: Insight new car cover
insightfully, thanks for the bump to this thread. just what i was looking for. cheers, r

1 - 9 of 9 Posts