Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just in case anyone is looking for a car cover (no covered parking, but have secured lot):

I've been happy with XtremeCoverPro's product that I've been buying on eBay for my 2007 Civic and now Insight. Had black on the Civic - doesn't show bird poop as bad as I thought, stuff washes off of it in the rain. But tried out grey for the Insight thinking that the black cover would make the car warm in the summer. The gold level is waterproof which reduces spotting under the cover if it rains or dirt getting through and leaving your car dirtier than if you left the cover off.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2017-2018-2019-HONDA-INSIGHT-Waterproof-Car-Cover-w-MirrorPocket-Gray/321624768345

·
Registered
88 Posts
Just in case anyone is looking for a car cover (no covered parking, but have secured lot):

I've been happy with XtremeCoverPro's product that I've been buying on eBay for my 2007 Civic and now Insight. Had black on the Civic - doesn't show bird poop as bad as I thought, stuff washes off of it in the rain. But tried out grey for the Insight thinking that the black cover would make the car warm in the summer. The gold level is waterproof which reduces spotting under the cover if it rains or dirt getting through and leaving your car dirtier than if you left the cover off.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2017-2018-2019-HONDA-INSIGHT-Waterproof-Car-Cover-w-MirrorPocket-Gray/321624768345
Looks like a great choice. I went too cheap and got one that isn't waterproof, though it is the same gray as yours and fits well with the mirror pockets.

My garage was modified into an additional bedroom by the previous owner, so the Insight occupies my driveway, totally exposed to the elements. Hopefully I can buy a house with a nice garage soon, but in the meantime a car cover is a necessity. Keeps it significantly cooler on hot days.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had a cheaper car cover before (also purchased from eBay), but the elastic eventually wore out in less than 3 years and it was flying off the car all the time. Had gotten the XtremeCoverPro gold for the drawstrings in case the elastic wore out, but it hasn't after two years.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I had a cheaper car cover before (also purchased from eBay), but the elastic eventually wore out in less than 3 years and it was flying off the car all the time. Had gotten the XtremeCoverPro gold for the drawstrings in case the elastic wore out, but it hasn't after two years.
The version I got has a belt with a fastener that loops under the center of the car, but even with that it can come halfway off the car in strong winds with just the belt and the mirror pockets holding it in place. This can be prevented by more carefully pulling the cover as low as it goes so that the edges are mostly under the car.

I was out of town for a few days and concerned about the cover coming off, but was pleased to see it as I'd left it covering the entire car when I returned home. Still, the drawstring feature on your cover is nice. In addition to keeping the car cooler in the sun, I am hopeful covers will extend the life of various sensors/cams around the exterior for those of us who don't have a garage.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The version I got has a belt with a fastener that loops under the center of the car, but even with that it can come halfway off the car in strong winds with just the belt and the mirror pockets holding it in place. This can be prevented by more carefully pulling the cover as low as it goes so that the edges are mostly under the car.
Yeah the XtremeCoverPros also have that belt that goes under the car, but I've never found that practical to use on a regular basis (how do you pass that floppy belt end from one side of the car, underneath to the other side so that you can reach it and clip it in?), especially when the elastic ends already have been holding the cover down under the strongest of winds without cinching the drawstrings at all.

Reactions: gremal

·
Registered
88 Posts
Yeah the XtremeCoverPros also have that belt that goes under the car, but I've never found that practical to use on a regular basis (how do you pass that floppy belt end from one side of the car, underneath to the other side so that you can reach it and clip it in?), especially when the elastic ends already have been holding the cover down under the strongest of winds without cinching the drawstrings at all.
It is a bit of a pain to swing the belt under the car close enough to the opposite side to where I can clip it in--I grab the belt about a foot from the end and use the weight of the clip to help the inertia of tossing it to the other side. It adds a few seconds to put on the cover but definitely better than finding the cover in a neighbor's yard after strong wind gusts. Anyway, that's what I get for going cheap (under $20 shipped), but it does the needed job of providing shade/cover.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Lucky to be able to work from home the next few months, but don’t drive my 2019 Insight often without my commute, and only have outdoor parking. Anyone on forum have recommendations for a decent car cover with good uv protection (live in San Diego), and decent water protection? Not worried about snow as much as protecting my car from the sun and accumulating grime. We’ve had a fair amount of rain this spring so that’s another consideration.

·
Administrator
4,254 Posts
Lucky to be able to work from home the next few months, but don’t drive my 2019 Insight often without my commute, and only have outdoor parking. Anyone on forum have recommendations for a decent car cover with good uv protection (live in San Diego), and decent water protection? Not worried about snow as much as protecting my car from the sun and accumulating grime. We’ve had a fair amount of rain this spring so that’s another consideration.
Added your question to this thread with a couple recommendations for XtremeCoverPro (gold version is waterproof).

Honda also sells an OEM car cover for the GenX Civic, and the Insight has the same body but slightly longer front end than the Civic - 08P34-TBA-100 Genuine Honda Car Cover 4D

And if you're interested, there's a new/unused car cover posted for sale in the forum 'classifieds' section - FOR SALE: Insight new car cover

·
Registered
36 Posts
Added your question to this thread with a couple recommendations for XtremeCoverPro (gold version is waterproof).

Honda also sells an OEM car cover for the GenX Civic, and the Insight has the same body but slightly longer front end than the Civic - 08P34-TBA-100 Genuine Honda Car Cover 4D

And if you're interested, there's a new/unused car cover posted for sale in the forum 'classifieds' section - FOR SALE: Insight new car cover
insightfully, thanks for the bump to this thread. just what i was looking for. cheers, r

·
Registered
3 Posts

2017 2018 2019 2020 HONDA INSIGHT Waterproof Car Cover w/MirrorPocket Gray | eBay
Hello,

I know this is an old post, but I am a new 2020 Insight owner, and looking for a good car cover. How happy have you been with this cover now that it has been over a year? Is it lightweight? I'm short so I'm looking for a cover that is easy to put on and take off. How well does it stay on?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hello,

I know this is an old post, but I am a new 2020 Insight owner, and looking for a good car cover. How happy have you been with this cover now that it has been over a year? Is it lightweight? I'm short so I'm looking for a cover that is easy to put on and take off. How well does it stay on?
While I cannot help you on this specific car cover... I would advise again one from CarCovers.com. I bought one of their "ultimate" series for another car and while it fits perfect and even has nice straps on the bottom to hold it in place... after about 4-5 months it started deteriorating from the inside and leaves a nice white, fluffy powder on my car. So yeah, do not buy that one.

·
Registered
3 Posts
While I cannot help you on this specific car cover... I would advise again one from CarCovers.com. I bought one of their "ultimate" series for another car and while it fits perfect and even has nice straps on the bottom to hold it in place... after about 4-5 months it started deteriorating from the inside and leaves a nice white, fluffy powder on my car. So yeah, do not buy that one.
Ohh good to know, thanks!

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX (White Orchid Pearl)
2,758 Posts
Ohh good to know, thanks!
- Cover the vehicle with a “breathable” cover, one made from a porous material such as cotton (non-porous material, such as plastic sheeting or trap moisture, can damage the paint)
Just want to add the above tip from Honda on car covers. Whichever car cover you choose make sure it's a breathable cover.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Hello,

Hi kellyg - sorry for the delay, my email notification on this thread got stuck in my junk mail folder.

I've had an XtremeCoverPro Gold before on my previous Civic for just under two years...I had upgraded from their base version (breathable) so that I'd have drawstrings to pull it tighter and the waterproof to keep water spotting from happening from rain.

Got the Gold for my 2019 Insight (gray instead of black this time, since I think it is less heat absorbing), and what happened within a year is the interior coating (maybe the waterproof part) crumbled just like the one that WorldThatHeSees got from CarCovers.com. XtremeCoverPro has a limited warranty on their product, so I reached out to them via the eBay seller contact and I got a replacement sent to me for $25. Going to give it a try just in case that was a bad batch since my previous cover didn't degrade.

One note though, I think the pulls on the drawstring may cause slight marks on the clear coat - hadn't noticed on my old Civic. For now, I've removed the plastic pulls. If the elastic fades, I can put them back on or hand tie a knot somehow to increase the tension on the cover. When removing the car cover, make sure to lift up on the back so that it doesn't get caught on the sharkfin antenna as you are rolling up the cover from the front of the car.

I'm 5' 5" and I've found this cover (breathable and the gold level) have enough heft to stay in place as you are unrolling it onto the car alone. Even with windy days, you just gotta hook the mirror ears of the cover on to give you enough to get the rest of the cover on. The elastic when new keeps the cover on for us in Chicago even with the drawstrings not cinched at all. When you are unwrapping the cover for the first time from the box, it might be easier with two people to figure out which end is which - but after that, it'll be easy to roll up on your own (untuck front and back ends, flip sides up towards middle of the car, roll up from the front) and reverse to reinstall.

We have an uncovered parking lot at our condo building, so I conveniently keep the cover rolled up in the trunk. I don't go through the trouble of stowing it in the carrying bag (that requires more detailed folding). It's compressible, so I'm able to stow that, a bike hitch rack, and cooler in summer time in the trunk with probably a third of the trunk still useable. I'll stow the cover elsewhere if we're roadtripping and know we can use the space.

Last word: the base/breathable XtremeCoverPro is a good product - I had it on my last Civic for eight years before the elastic started to fade. I didn't want to use the under belt to secure it, so I sold it on Craigslist to someone who needed it for indoor storage and got a Gold edition for the drawstrings and waterproofness. Neither edition had the crumbling interior lining problem during the 8 years (base) and 2 years (gold) that I had them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi kellyg - sorry for the delay, my email notification on this thread got stuck in my junk mail folder.

I've had an XtremeCoverPro Gold before on my previous Civic for just under two years...I had upgraded from their base version (breathable) so that I'd have drawstrings to pull it tighter and the waterproof to keep water spotting from happening from rain.

Got the Gold for my 2019 Insight (gray instead of black this time, since I think it is less heat absorbing), and what happened within a year is the interior coating (maybe the waterproof part) crumbled just like the one that WorldThatHeSees got from CarCovers.com. XtremeCoverPro has a limited warranty on their product, so I reached out to them via the eBay seller contact and I got a replacement sent to me for $25. Going to give it a try just in case that was a bad batch since my previous cover didn't degrade.

One note though, I think the pulls on the drawstring may cause slight marks on the clear coat - hadn't noticed on my old Civic. For now, I've removed the plastic pulls. If the elastic fades, I can put them back on or hand tie a knot somehow to increase the tension on the cover. When removing the car cover, make sure to lift up on the back so that it doesn't get caught on the sharkfin antenna as you are rolling up the cover from the front of the car.

I'm 5' 5" and I've found this cover (breathable and the gold level) have enough heft to stay in place as you are unrolling it onto the car alone. Even with windy days, you just gotta hook the mirror ears of the cover on to give you enough to get the rest of the cover on. The elastic when new keeps the cover on for us in Chicago even with the drawstrings not cinched at all. When you are unwrapping the cover for the first time from the box, it might be easier with two people to figure out which end is which - but after that, it'll be easy to roll up on your own (untuck front and back ends, flip sides up towards middle of the car, roll up from the front) and reverse to reinstall.

We have an uncovered parking lot at our condo building, so I conveniently keep the cover rolled up in the trunk. I don't go through the trouble of stowing it in the carrying bag (that requires more detailed folding). It's compressible, so I'm able to stow that, a bike hitch rack, and cooler in summer time in the trunk with probably a third of the trunk still useable. I'll stow the cover elsewhere if we're roadtripping and know we can use the space.

Last word: the base/breathable XtremeCoverPro is a good product - I had it on my last Civic for eight years before the elastic started to fade. I didn't want to use the under belt to secure it, so I sold it on Craigslist to someone who needed it for indoor storage and got a Gold edition for the drawstrings and waterproofness. Neither edition had the crumbling interior lining problem during the 8 years (base) and 2 years (gold) that I had them.
Thanks for all of the info! It's very helpful! I'm in CA and my car has been getting so much ash from the wildfires lately that I definitely need a cover now. I'm so happy to have found this forum.

·
Administrator
4,254 Posts
Thanks for all of the info! It's very helpful! I'm in CA and my car has been getting so much ash from the wildfires lately that I definitely need a cover now. I'm so happy to have found this forum.
Ash is super abrasive, so be sure to clean the car before the car cover is installed. Any dust/debris on the car before being covered becomes a scratch risk when the cover is dragged across the paint surface. The cover itself won't cause scratches but any dirt or debris that the cover picks up will...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts