Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have an EX with 5k miles on it. I came to a complete stop and all of a sudden my car jerked real hard to the point where I thought the guy behind me hit my car, about 30 seconds later it happened again and thought this guy was crazy. But I get out of the car and my car wasn't touched, the guy behind me saw my car jerk while stopped. After that I was able to drive home with no problem.

It was so weird and has me slightly worried something might be wrong with the car. I didn't get any warning lights or anything.

·
Super Moderator
4,077 Posts
Wow, that's an alarming situation. Some questions...

Did you feel any movement in the brake pedal while you stopped?
Did you hear any sounds?
Was the gas engine running when this occurred?
What mode were you in when this happened (EV, Normal, Sport, Econ)?
Did your car move/roll forward, or did it just lurch while in place?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow, that's an alarming situation. Some questions...

Did you feel any movement in the brake pedal while you stopped?
Did you hear any sounds?
Was the gas engine running when this occurred?
What mode were you in when this happened (EV, Normal, Sport, Econ)?
Did your car move/roll forward, or did it just lurch while in place?
If there was any movement in the brake pedal, I didn't notice it, it was just so sudden. There were no unusual sounds from the car. I am unsure if the gas engine was running when this happened and the car was in Econ mode. My car didn't move forward, it just jolted in place.

Should I be taking my car to the dealership to have them look at it?

·
Super Moderator
4,077 Posts
If there was any movement in the brake pedal, I didn't notice it, it was just so sudden. There were no unusual sounds from the car. I am unsure if the gas engine was running when this happened and the car was in Econ mode. My car didn't move forward, it just jolted in place.

Certainly take to dealer to report the issue and have the car checked. It sounds unsafe that the car is responding in the way you described, and it's not something that others on forum have mentioned or experienced so far.

At a minimum, reporting it to the dealer/Honda documents it for warranty and lemon law purposes, if needed in future. The dealer will likely try to replicate the situation, but they can also read error codes/messages from the car to diagnose.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Certainly take to dealer to report the issue and have the car checked. It sounds unsafe that the car is responding in the way you described, and it's not something that others on forum have mentioned or experienced so far.

At a minimum, reporting it to the dealer/Honda documents it for warranty and lemon law purposes, if needed in future. The dealer will likely try to replicate the situation, but they can also read error codes/messages from the car to diagnose.
Thanks I'll take my car to get it checked out.

Here's a clip of what my dash cam picked up,

https://youtu.be/KViNiU2_DJg

·
Registered
836 Posts
That's insane. Were you solidly on the brake the whole time? That's not a broken engine mount type of jolt, that's even more violent than a manual stall, and the fact that the car wasn't moving at all makes it even more perplexing. If the gas engine was running, maybe a clutch issue with the generator, seems to be the only thing I can think of that could even possibly have enough force to cause that.

This is all speculation, I'm not a technician, just 30+ years of being related to one. The crazy thing is it literally sounds like being rear-ended. The sound is very plastic/plastic, granted the nvh of our cars isolates a lot of outside noise.

·
Super Moderator
4,077 Posts

That is SO not normal. It's good you have the video. I noted the occurrences at 0:31 and 0:43. Definitely get it checked out and see if the car threw any codes that didn't show up on the dashboard.

I've read about this happening on older cars, with root causes like idle air control valve affecting ECU air/fuel mix, worn spark coil/plugs, electronic load detector that regulates signal to battery, engine vacuum/brake connection, dirty throttle body, fuel pressure regulator leak, etc... but it's hard to reconcile that these would be issues affecting your NEW car.

Do you recall if your A/C was running at the time? That's another mention that is made on older cars that causes 'lurching.' The explanation around that one is that the A/C compressor drops rpms when it kicks in, which changes the air/fuel mixture and could cause the car to accelerate. But I can't tell from the video if the rpms revved (didn't sound like it) or if the gas engine was running, as you mentioned.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

That is SO not normal. It's good you have the video. I noted the occurrences at 0:31 and 0:43. Definitely get it checked out and see if the car threw any codes that didn't show up on the dashboard.

I've read about this happening on older cars, with root causes like idle air control valve affecting ECU air/fuel mix, worn spark coil/plugs, electronic load detector that regulates signal to battery, engine vacuum/brake connection, dirty throttle body, fuel pressure regulator leak, etc... but it's hard to reconcile that these would be issues affecting your NEW car.

Do you recall if your A/C was running at the time? That's another mention that is made on older cars that causes 'lurching.' The explanation around that one is that the A/C compressor drops rpms when it kicks in, which changes the air/fuel mixture and could cause the car to accelerate. But I can't tell from the video if the rpms revved (didn't sound like it) or if the gas engine was running, as you mentioned.
So i went back to check my car again, and there was slight damage to my back bumper, that I didn't notice when i checked last night. Now it's possible the guy hit me and backed off, when I got out of the car he was a good 10 feet behind me. Is it possible I could feel another bump when he reverses?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
4,077 Posts
So i went back to check my car again, and there was slight damage to my back bumper, that I didn't notice when i checked last night. Now it's possible the guy hit me and backed off, when I got out of the car he was a good 10 feet behind me. Is it possible I could feel another bump when he reverses?
Did the car behind you have a taller fender? For the type of impact that it seemed, that the damage is only in a small area seems unlikely. And it doesn't look like there's other damage around that which would have been enough to push your car forward. It's possible the car behind you had backed up so it could prepare to go around you (there was honking in the background and you were in a right turn lane).

·
Registered
59 Posts
From the dashcam video that looked and sounded like an impact vs the car braking itself or jolting. You could actually hear an impact and see the car move... sounds like you had a passenger at the time, did anyone look back? If that wasn't impact I wonder what those sounds were?

·
Registered
59 Posts
See is Verdier's video when he got hit while parked.. roughly around the 4:12 mark..

·
Super Moderator
4,077 Posts
See is Verdier's video when he got hit while parked.. roughly around the 4:12 mark..
Note that the 'offending' car in Verdier's video was taller, similar to my question to Fun2491 re: fender height of car behind. The truck's protruding hook came in contact with Verdier's license plate. And there didn't appear to be a second jolt/impact when the truck in Verdier's video backed up.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Note that the 'offending' car in Verdier's video was taller, similar to my question to Fun2491 re: fender height of car behind. The truck's protruding hook came in contact with Verdier's license plate. And there didn't appear to be a second jolt/impact when the truck in Verdier's video backed up.
I don't think it was a 2nd jolt when the guy backed up, I think the OP was hit 2 times and then the guy backed up. I referenced Verdier's video to show what it looks and sounds like when a parked car is hit - sounds the same. Given the look, sounds and damage, I really don't believe the Insight just jolted (with loud thump) on its own.

·
Registered
148 Posts
This was a rear end collision. Sadly, there was too much confusion and the perp got away without paying for the damage.

·
Super Moderator
2,690 Posts
I had a rear end collision at a traffic light once where the other driver quickly reversed before I knew what was going on. So when I got out of the car his car was nowhere touching the rear of my car. I was confused because I didn't see any damage(until closer inspection when I got home) and he denied hitting me when I asked. I didn't want to argue with him at the time because it was at a busy intersection, no noticeable damage, and I was blocking traffic.

The other driver was probably distracted with his phone, hit @Fung2491 's Insight, went into shock mode, reversed his car, put it into drive thinking he had it in park, let go of the brake pedal, and hit his car again. While @Fung2491 was confused with a second hit the other driver quickly reversed his car again before @Fung2491 knew what was happening.

@Fung2491 Did you see anything suspicious in your rear view mirror when your car shook?

·
Super Moderator
4,077 Posts
I hear honking toward the end of that video. It's like some road rage nut hit the OP twice and then had the gall to honk.
There's also a big yellow billboard on the right side of the road which advertised "San Diego's largest dispensary" [0:05 to 0:07]... and maybe the car behind was partaking.

·
Super Moderator
2,690 Posts
There's also a big yellow billboard on the right side of the road which advertised "San Diego's largest dispensary" [0:05 to 0:07]... and maybe the car behind was partaking.
*goes back to watch video again* :surprise:

·
Registered
328 Posts
Someone hit your car. Technically there’s an electric motor that drives your car and if you have your foot on the brake and not moving it will default to off. The random bangs of being hit are not that motor freaking out - it was the dude behind you hitting your car. I was rear ended in my 2008 Honda Civic and she hit us hard enough for my head to hit the headrest and my daughter to scream. We got out of the car and I checked for damage and there wasn’t any visible damage to be seen.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts