Gen 3 Insight Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Touring Crystal Black Pearl / Mocha
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

The good news is my wife is expecting twins (yay!), the bad news is daycare for two, or a nanny, both run north of $5000 a month where I live :LOL:

Anyways, any car seats recommendations that work well with our cars? or anything I should pay attention to?

I have a 2019 Touring if that matters.

Thank you!

·
Registered
2019 Touring CosBlu
283 Posts
It's been a long time (one car ago) when I brought home a new mother and baby, but with the Touring, i had a seat protector down for the car seat when I thought about the leather. Didn't think so with the fabric on the old Civic. Got this product inexpensively which did the job:

·
Registered
2022 Lunar Silver Insight EX
55 Posts
It's been a long time (one car ago) when I brought home a new mother and baby, but with the Touring, i had a seat protector down for the car seat when I thought about the leather. Didn't think so with the fabric on the old Civic. Got this product inexpensively which did the job:

I had something similar when my kids were in child seats. The seat protector is a must have.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Here's my take after going through garco Snug fit 35 with the carrier that lifts out as a newborn and Graco Extend 2Fit in both rear and front facing configs... Diono Radian 3R, Graco Affix, Garco Turbobooster LX. I've spent nearly $1000 in car seats over the last 6 years and probably nearly as much on strollers.

All in one car seats suck. They make a lot compromises so the seat can grow with the child. Often you end up with the seat being overly large when the child is small. When the child gets larger, less features are needed and the seat can be slimmed down, but all those 2 and 3 year old features add to the packaging heft not needed at that stage of life. Also sinc all the straps and buckles must also work at age 2 and at 5 since the seat is designed to work through multiple ages, the straps and buckles can be disproportionately large when the child is young.

Given all that, I wish I would have went with more car seats at different stages of the child so the setup, packaging and use could be simpler. Most of this is mostly behind me now.

The insight is not that big so space is a premium. If I were to do it over again, I would look for simpler smaller packaged car seats and ones designed for a specific stage of life. However this is easier said than done. Mass market car seats are mostly do it all designs that lure parents in with tons of features, as the parent thinks this seat will last forever through multiple stages. Again the compromise is $$$ cost, complexity, large packaging, and a doesn't fit so well at different stages. Car seats costing $200 is normal and when you need 2 or 3 at a time. It gets pricey.

The only car seat I really liked was a Diono Radian 3R. It's slimmer and simple to use once it's setup and hade really nice materials and color scheme. However, you probably won't use that until your kid is about 3.

Another thing we do is resell our car seats when we no longer need them. I recently resold 2X Graco Extend2Fits for $80 each. They were $209 new when I bought them. They are $234 currently. I replaced them with $80 Graco Turbo booster LX and Graco Affix which are the slimmest booster seats I could find.

I didn't like the Extend2Fits large packaging, but when your busy going through life, sometimes you don't have the time and energy to find a perfect car seat.

·
Registered
2019 Touring CosBlu
283 Posts
It's been a while since our car seat days, but we just finished seat only booster last year. I'd say if you had three kids, then you'd really have to research what can fit three across. Otherwise, we inherited a baby bucket for the infant stage (it had a base to leave in your car, but a bucket you could take on the go that could belt-in on a plane or rental car), then looked to Craigslist to find the most popular recent lightweight car seat (carrying through airport). They don't last forever, so you lose a lot of value (like cars), on resale. Once we moved to the booster phase, we got one with a removable back for the last stage. (again off Craigslist focusing on lightweight, recent, popular say at Target). Oh, for the booster, I got I was able to get it in blue to match the Civic/Insight. :)

But given Pasei has got twins on the way, it means two car seats in the same phase rather than hand me downs sequentially. Maybe you'd want one secured in the middle and one in the rear right, leaving you the option for a third rear passenger behind the driver? That would be a compelling reason to find some narrow car seats, but with consideration of the premium since those may be pricier new as well on resale.

Reactions: pasei

·
Registered
224 Posts
Here's my take after going through garco Snug fit 35 with the carrier that lifts out as a newborn and Graco Extend 2Fit in both rear and front facing configs... Diono Radian 3R, Graco Affix, Garco Turbobooster LX. I've spent nearly $1000 in car seats over the last 6 years and probably nearly as much on strollers.

All in one car seats suck. They make a lot compromises so the seat can grow with the child. Often you end up with the seat being overly large when the child is small. When the child gets larger, less features are needed and the seat can be slimmed down, but all those 2 and 3 year old features add to the packaging heft not needed at that stage of life. Also sinc all the straps and buckles must also work at age 2 and at 5 since the seat is designed to work through multiple ages, the straps and buckles can be disproportionately large when the child is young.

Given all that, I wish I would have went with more car seats at different stages of the child so the setup, packaging and use could be simpler. Most of this is mostly behind me now.

The insight is not that big so space is a premium. If I were to do it over again, I would look for simpler smaller packaged car seats and ones designed for a specific stage of life. However this is easier said than done. Mass market car seats are mostly do it all designs that lure parents in with tons of features, as the parent thinks this seat will last forever through multiple stages. Again the compromise is $$$ cost, complexity, large packaging, and a doesn't fit so well at different stages. Car seats costing $200 is normal and when you need 2 or 3 at a time. It gets pricey.

The only car seat I really liked was a Diono Radian 3R. It's slimmer and simple to use once it's setup and hade really nice materials and color scheme. However, you probably won't use that until your kid is about 3.

Another thing we do is resell our car seats when we no longer need them. I recently resold 2X Graco Extend2Fits for $80 each. They were $209 new when I bought them. They are $234 currently. I replaced them with $80 Graco Turbo booster LX and Graco Affix which are the slimmest booster seats I could find.

I didn't like the Extend2Fits large packaging, but when your busy going through life, sometimes you don't have the time and energy to find a perfect car seat.
OMG I just bought another booster seat just a few hours ago! What worked great in the Insight didn't work in my other car... silly me. Now I just bought a 3rd full back booster seat in 4 weeks !!!! If you have multiple cars... Might want to test before getting additional.

1. Graco Turbobooster LX
2. Grace Affix Latch
3. Diono Cambria 2XL

Seats #1 and 2 are basically twin designs. I had seat #1 for weeks in the Insight and I didn't bother trying it in Car #2. If I had done that, i wouldn't have bought Seat #2. I could have saved the agony! Had no idea that car seats and strollers could be some complicated when this all started.

Good luck on Twins... consider trading up to a CR-V if you can. Changing diapers in the trunk of a sedan vs the flat waist height flat back of an SUV is game changing.

·
Registered
2019 Touring CosBlu
283 Posts
Good luck on Twins... consider trading up to a CR-V if you can. Changing diapers in the trunk of a sedan vs the flat waist height flat back of an SUV is game changing.
I think there might have been a change or two in the trunk of our old Civic. 😀 but more likely in the backseat since the middle and left passenger seats would be open. Thank god for changing pads to make it possible to change anywhere and keep it all clean.

Reactions: IronQQQ

·
Registered
2019 Touring CosBlu
283 Posts
I also need some advice about the trunk organizers for my Civic.
I'd suggest posting as a new topic with a little bit more detail of what you're asking about since the connection to the original thread topic of car seats isn't clear.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
We got the Graco SnugFit 35 LX Infant... and it does NOT seem very stable on a regular rear seat... I only tried attaching it with the anchors, would it be better with the belt?

Also it's super bulky and super hard to remove without moving the driver seat up...

And that was just one seat, we haven't received the second one yet :cry:

The wife is already b****ing 😂

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
OK never mind, I did the "knee technique" and it's much better now (y)

Other question then, should I buy a seat protector to not mark the leather...? (Or will it be the last of my worries haha).

·
Registered
2019 Touring CosBlu
283 Posts
OK never mind, I did the "knee technique" and it's much better now (y)

Other question then, should I buy a seat protector to not mark the leather...? (Or will it be the last of my worries haha).
Been a long time since using the knee having moved on from boosters not long ago.

I'd definitely recommend the seat protectors. Easier to vacuum stuff out (or just shake them out), they're inexpensive ($25 Go by Goldbug at Target), and they have organizers now for you to keep things in, and when they're older, they can help themselves to what they need (and put them away when they're done). They'll last you through the booster phase.

Reactions: pasei
1 - 14 of 14 Posts