Gen 3 Insight Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have really bad habits when driving gas cars with key fobs. the other day I went to put gas in the Insight and only after a gallon or two, I realized the ICE engine was still on. it was noisy that day by the gas station, somone from the next pump talking to me so it completely eluded me. So I will bring up two points to ponder about.

1. Why doesn't the car auto shut off if you're filling gas? Car can certainly detect gas being filled. The needle or fill gauge responds when you fill. The car knows when the ICE engine is on. If fuel sender is showing movement of greater than X volts/sec and ICE engine on and car is parked, the computer could respond by shutting off the engine.

2. Why do I need to use a credit car or pay cash to fill gas at the pump? So I will the Tesla example. Drive up to supercharger. Plug in charger. Car sends VIN to supercharger. Supercharger verifies VIN to account on file. Car charges, payment happens behind the scenes. Certainly that technology could be implemented on gas cars.

Put fuel nozzle in car, RFID or pins between pump and car could communicate and just charge whatever Chevron/shell/watever account on file.

Legacy automakers really need to rethink the car experience. My viewpoints on what cars are and what they could be have really changed in the last 10 months.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX
2,999 Posts
So I have really bad habits when driving gas cars with key fobs. the other day I went to put gas in the Insight and only after a gallon or two, I realized the ICE engine was still on. it was noisy that day by the gas station, somone from the next pump talking to me so it completely eluded me. So I will bring up two points to ponder about.

1. Why doesn't the car auto shut off if you're filling gas? Car can certainly detect gas being filled. The needle or fill gauge responds when you fill. The car knows when the ICE engine is on. If fuel sender is showing movement of greater than X volts/sec and ICE engine on and car is parked, the computer could respond by shutting off the engine.

2. Why do I need to use a credit car or pay cash to fill gas at the pump? So I will the Tesla example. Drive up to supercharger. Plug in charger. Car sends VIN to supercharger. Supercharger verifies VIN to account on file. Car charges, payment happens behind the scenes. Certainly that technology could be implemented on gas cars.

Put fuel nozzle in car, RFID or pins between pump and car could communicate and just charge whatever Chevron/shell/watever account on file.

Legacy automakers really need to rethink the car experience. My viewpoints on what cars are and what they could be have really changed in the last 10 months.
  1. I'm surprise the Insight opened the fuel door for you while it was running. Normally you would need to hit the fuel door button and have to wait for the tank to de-pressurize...
  2. Money and who is responsible for the payment network with all this data is probably the reason. Gas stations are independently owned and they would need to pay for the upgraded pumps. Legacy automakers would need to partner or build a payment network along with a system to register all of the VINs containing personal information to bill the owner. In the end, owners will be paying more at the pump for this convenience most likely.
I pay for my gas using the gas apps(shell/mobil) via apple/google pay. Costco also supports apple/google pay at the pump now.

·
Administrator
4,838 Posts
  1. I'm surprise the Insight opened the fuel door for you while it was running. Normally you would need to hit the fuel door button and have to wait for the tank to de-pressurize...
Seems similarly designed to traditional keyed ignition, where there isn't an interlock to open the fuel fill door (i.e. car could still be running while refueling).

The owners manual 'recommends' putting the car in Park and turning the power system off (also for safety reasons), but the depressurization step is triggered just by pressing without other cross-checks or sensors.

·
Registered
148 Posts

Hi, you must new here. Welcome to planet Earth. You might as well be shouting into the void of space between your home planet and where you stand now unless someone can some how profit from it massively. Not to discourage you or anything.

We dont typically get cool gadgetry for minimal cost until it has been completely wringed of any profit or the cost of implementing it can be offset by the consumer in some way.

Besides all that, some things are just intentionally manual operations for the sake of simplicity, modularity, and keeping tasks intuitive. Remember that not every one thinks the way you do.

Oh, and if you want your mind blown, research how a gas pump clicks off when your tank is full. I'm sure its different than your rocket fuel pumps back home.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts