Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On our Insight EX and also on a friend's Insight EX, there is a depression on the driver's seat, left hand side floor pan. When you step in the carpet will move down a centimeter or two. At first I thought it was just our car but after checking out our friends Insight, it's the same. The carpet moves quite a bit and over time I think the carpet will tear or pull away from the door opening trim. I'm just a bit befuddled why Honda would have a dip in the floor pan and nothing to fill the depression. Any clues?

Here is a before and after shot.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,232 Posts
On our Insight EX and also on a friend's Insight EX, there is a depression on the driver's seat, left hand side floor pan. When you step in the carpet will move down a centimeter or two. At first I thought it was just our car but after checking out our friends Insight, it's the same. The carpet moves quite a bit and over time I think the carpet will tear or pull away from the door opening trim. I'm just a bit befuddled why Honda would have a dip in the floor pan and nothing to fill the depression. Any clues?

Here is a before and after shot.
This is not scientific, nor have I pulled up the carpet to check, but there may be a low depression which contains a drain plug in the event one of us decided to play U-boat commander. I have Husky all-season mats, so I don't notice that depression, but I have no doubt it's there.

On an unrelated note, I have an ivory interior as well. How is yours holding up so far? Mine still looks new after 18K miles despite my son bleeding all over the backseats.

·
Super Moderator
4,074 Posts
I previously saw a related topic/video on the Civic passenger floor, which I think relates to the Insight (same platform). The video shows thick insulation and room for wiring below the carpet, and the cushy insulation compresses on top of the metal bottom of the car. Maybe there's a way to stiffen the carpet backing for more stability and less compression (?), but at first glance it looks like the insulation is attached to the carpet.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts