Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Say, I just tried CarPlay for the first time. Sitting in my garage, in Accessory mode.

Looks spiffy! (technical term...)

However, I couldn't get it to work offline, so to speak. I had to have Wi-Fi on, and it wouldn't show me the offline, turn-by-turn directions.

What's the trick to getting that to work?

I'm going to eventually spring for a cell phone with data plan (I think), but wanted to see the maps in action, even it meant swiping to the next point.

Oh, and oddly, the first time I tried it, it showed the map oriented properly (arrow for going straight ahead), but then it shifted and the arrow was pointing to the right! Weird.

In case anyone else wants to use Maps offline the regular way after using CarPlay, I discovered a trick. The problem is that after it's been connected via CarPlay (you have to turn on Siri--turning over ALL your contacts to Apple without THEIR permission-- and Location Services), you can no longer later get the usual offline turn by turn *map* display of each turn and interaction. All you get is a list.

Here's the trick: You have to turn OFF Location Services to get back to the usual display.

Oh, and one other question. Can you change the Maps voice? Say, to a British Jeeves?

----------------------

Podcasts worked great, by the way. It's wonderful hearing them in the car, with rich bass and volume as opposed to the tiny weak sound from the i-device or earbuds!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Oh, and one other question. Can you change the Maps voice? Say, to a British Jeeves?
On iPhone… Settings… Siri & Search… Siri Voice…
I have mine on an Australian female. My wife prefers the British male. Others include Irish and S. African. You can change accents further in another setting, but then it starts messing with your regional settings.

It does sound more pleasant then the usual Siri. And it makes for some entertaining pronunciation of all the Spanish roads and areas in San Diego. La Jolla (la hoya) becomes lajawla. My favorite is Upas Street in Australian accent becomes Underpass Street (an abbreviation?). The way she pronounces it sounds like Underpants street.

I am easily entertained.

·
Super Moderator
2,694 Posts
Say, I just tried CarPlay for the first time. Sitting in my garage, in Accessory mode.

Looks spiffy! (technical term...)

However, I couldn't get it to work offline, so to speak. I had to have Wi-Fi on, and it wouldn't show me the offline, turn-by-turn directions.

What's the trick to getting that to work?

I'm going to eventually spring for a cell phone with data plan (I think), but wanted to see the maps in action, even it meant swiping to the next point.

Oh, and oddly, the first time I tried it, it showed the map oriented properly (arrow for going straight ahead), but then it shifted and the arrow was pointing to the right! Weird.

In case anyone else wants to use Maps offline the regular way after using CarPlay, I discovered a trick. The problem is that after it's been connected via CarPlay (you have to turn on Siri--turning over ALL your contacts to Apple without THEIR permission-- and Location Services), you can no longer later get the usual offline turn by turn *map* display of each turn and interaction. All you get is a list.

Here's the trick: You have to turn OFF Location Services to get back to the usual display.

----------------------

Podcasts worked great, by the way. It's wonderful hearing them in the car, with rich bass and volume as opposed to the tiny weak sound from the i-device or earbuds!
You probably need to head out and drive a little for it to position itself properly. Your garage was probably blocking the GPS signal? Location services need to be on for google maps to work even without data connection. I haven't use Google Maps offline in awhile since I always have it using my data connection for traffic. I will give it a try tomorrow to see if it works with data connection off.

As for turn by turn navigation voice options, I'm not sure google maps offer that, but I do know waze does.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Square, much thanks! I'm looking forward to trying out the Aussie and Jeeves!

Andrew, good thoughts. I'll try it again later today and actually drive it.

One wrinkle, though, is that as soon as I turned off Wi-Fi, it deactivated Maps! So, I'm not sure offline is going to work on a cell phone without cell service...

I can try an iPod Touch 6, too, though, and see if that works...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts