Gen 3 Insight Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
On at least three occasions I have received incoming phone calls on my iPhone while it was cabled to my Insight for Apple Car play functionality. Each time the "phone" rang through the car speakers at FULL volume, causing major pain in my ears. I assume this is just a result of having the iPhone's volume set to max when I last used it outside of the car (I have severe hearing loss in one ear so often need the phone volume maxed while using the phone outside of my Insight). Not sure if there is a way to prevent this extreme high ringing volume, either within the Insight's interface, or the iPhone's interface. Thoughts/suggestions?

·
Administrator
4,838 Posts
On at least three occasions I have received incoming phone calls on my iPhone while it was cabled to my Insight for Apple Car play functionality. Each time the "phone" rang through the car speakers at FULL volume, causing major pain in my ears. I assume this is just a result of having the iPhone's volume set to max when I last used it outside of the car (I have severe hearing loss in one ear so often need the phone volume maxed while using the phone outside of my Insight). Not sure if there is a way to prevent this extreme high ringing volume, either within the Insight's interface, or the iPhone's interface. Thoughts/suggestions?
There's a specific volume setting available for phone ringer. I know I've seen/adjusted it myself before... will post a snapshot once I remind myself where this setting lives.

·
Administrator
4,838 Posts
There's a specific volume setting available for phone ringer. I know I've seen/adjusted it myself before... will post a snapshot once I remind myself where this setting lives.
So the setting I was recalling of is under Settings --> System --> System Volumes --> Telephone Calls. I thought I had adjusted ringtone volume there too, but the setting only controls the pre-selected volume level of calls heard through the car's speakers.

As possible alternatives for ringtone volume management (which I haven't tried):
  1. There's an option to select 'phone' or 'fixed' ringtone in the Phone --> Ringtone menu. Perhaps if the ringtone is switched to "fixed" it becomes a system volume setting, rather than being tied to the phone's ringtone volume level.
  2. In the "System Volume" menu, there is a "System Sounds" setting that might adjust the "fixed" ringtone volume (but might also adjust other system sound levels too, so you may want to experiment...)

The Owners Manual doesn't list the full menu options with "System Volumes" (attachment 1) but the Navigation Manual provides a better illustration (attachment 2). The Ringtone type options (but not volume setting) are in attachment 3.

===
As an aside - I experienced different call and ring volume levels depending on how I initially pair the phone to the car.
  • When the car was paired via "finding the phone" - the call volume and sound quality were great.
  • When the phone is paired via "finding the car" the call volume was very muted; I cranked up the call volume to max level during a conversation and still couldn't hear the person speak.

I don't un-pair/re-pair my phone often (I did it for SMS troubleshooting mentioned in separate thread), so experienced the above scenarios just one time each... but sharing in case you might be able to use this info to also manage volume, if other suggestions fail.

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
Also try adjusting the volume on the Honda dash during the occasion when the phone is ringing. A hidden feature i read about for latest Honda’s and a few other autos with CarPlay is that you can adjust volume of say your phone calls vs. the radio vs. the phone’s map direction prompts all using the dash volume but only while the respective feature is sounding off. The volume will stay set until you adjust again or change the volume on the phone. I use this in my new Insight and it works.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Also try adjusting the volume on the Honda dash during the occasion when the phone is ringing. A hidden feature i read about for latest Honda’s and a few other autos with CarPlay is that you can adjust volume of say your phone calls vs. the radio vs. the phone’s map direction prompts all using the dash volume but only while the respective feature is sounding off. The volume will stay set until you adjust again or change the volume on the phone. I use this in my new Insight and it works.
That behavior is what’s ive experienced with changing the volume of the navigation. If I adjust volume while it’s ‘talking’ it stays set for nav, but doesn’t affect the radio.

·
Administrator
4,838 Posts
I tried using the dial to adjust phone volume on an incoming call today, as a shortcut to pulling up the settings menu. Turning the volume down DID reduce the ringer volume, but ALSO reduced the caller's volume once I answered. I had to turn the volume back up to hear the caller.

Net, it seems like the one "telephone calls" volume control in attachment affects BOTH ringer and caller volume level simultaneously - instead of having separate settings/controls for each.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts