Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apple just announced a redesign for CarPlay coming with iOS 13.

(The new home screen, it will be widgets instead of app icons.)

(Siri won't take up the whole screen now when activated)

(Siri will also support third party apps integration like Waze)

·
Registered
312 Posts
No weather apps. But on balance it sounds like better use of the screen. Sounds like Honda would have to act if we want navigation on the DII.

The maps improvements should be nice.

·
Super Moderator
2,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)

Getting CarPlay on iOS 13 to work didn't go smoothly for me until I deleted the HondaLink app. For some reason that app prevents CarPlay from working and just gives me a black screen and then a disconnect.

• Siri doesn't take up the whole screen when engaged
  • No more carplay logo screen when you plug in your phone
  • You can open different apps on your phone and it won't affect what is displayed on the display audio screen (My favorite change)
  • New light mode for day time driving (It will change automatically into dark mode for night time driving).
Dislikes

• The new rounded corner design has a border which prevents using the full screen. (It was full screen on iOS12)
  • New widgets screen only works with Apple maps and music. Would like to see it support 3rd party apps like spotify, waze, and google maps.
  • If you select dark mode only, waze will show the night time maps during the day. (maybe a bug?)
  • Even though siri doesn't take up the whole screen anymore... The siri icon seems to stay on the screen longer even after siri finished speaking. (maybe a bug?)
  • Siri can't interact with Waze yet. (Probably need to wait for Waze to update the app with support for it)

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
3,327 Posts
Getting CarPlay on iOS 13 to work didn't go smoothly for me until I deleted the HondaLink app. For some reason that app prevents CarPlay from working and just gives me a black screen and then a disconnect.
Thanks for leading the way as a beta tester, and sharing with us. How did you know to delete the HondaLink app? Was there a message or specific interference that you noticed?

·
Super Moderator
2,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for leading the way as a beta tester, and sharing with us. How did you know to delete the HondaLink app? Was there a message or specific interference that you noticed?
The HondaLink app pops up on my phone during either the blank screen or when CarPlay disconnects a few seconds after the blank screen. When I turn on my car, the bluetooth on the car connects to my phone, which triggers the HondaLink app to open. I assumed something might be glitched, during the hand-off from bluetooth to CarPlay, when I plugged in the lightning cable, while the HondaLink app was still communicating via bluetooth. I filed a bug report with Apple because I didn't experience this with CarPlay in iOS 12.

·
Registered
34 Posts
The HondaLink app pops up on my phone during either the blank screen or when CarPlay disconnects a few seconds after the blank screen. When I turn on my car, the bluetooth on the car connects to my phone, which triggers the HondaLink app to open. I assumed something might be glitched, during the hand-off from bluetooth to CarPlay, when I plugged in the lightning cable, while the HondaLink app was still communicating via bluetooth. I filed a bug report with Apple because I didn't experience this with CarPlay in iOS 12.
I discovered this work around as well and went as far as deleting the HondaLink app from my iPhone several weeks ago. Before that I had several instances of blank screen and disconnects while driving. Since deleting the app it has been working correctly with no dropped connection between phone and car screen. Unless you rely on the HondaLink app on your phone, I would say the temporary workaround is to just delete it until they fix the bug. I would be interested though to see if other users experience the same results as me.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I too have been using iOS 13 for a few days now. There are some bugs which require me to unplug my usb or restart my phone to get around, but it better than the issues I’ve had before with CarPlay. On the X series CarPlay would crash the head unit and force me to factory reset. Glad that bug is passed!

·
Super Moderator
2,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I discovered this work around as well and went as far as deleting the HondaLink app from my iPhone several weeks ago. Before that I had several instances of blank screen and disconnects while driving. Since deleting the app it has been working correctly with no dropped connection between phone and car screen. Unless you rely on the HondaLink app on your phone, I would say the temporary workaround is to just delete it until they fix the bug. I would be interested though to see if other users experience the same results as me.
I wonder if an issue with apps that use Bluetooth and CarPlay might be lurking in iOS. I was browsing the CarPlay sub-reddit and noticed Mazda owners have to disable bluetooth to get CarPlay to work without crashing. iOS 13 also introduced a new privacy feature where it prompts you to allow an app bluetooth access. Kind of surprised me some of my apps are using my bluetooth even though I can't think of a reason why it would need it like my mobile banking apps. With unknown apps using our bluetooth and a possible bug with bluetooth+CarPlay it could result in crashes that most consumers will probably blame on a defective infotainment unit.

I too have been using iOS 13 for a few days now. There are some bugs which require me to unplug my usb or restart my phone to get around, but it better than the issues I’ve had before with CarPlay. On the X series CarPlay would crash the head unit and force me to factory reset. Glad that bug is passed!
That's awesome to hear iOS 13 fixed your crash problem. I have been joining the iOS public beta program every summer and then I switch to the stable version once the final builds drop. In the past Apple employees have replied back to some of my bug reports relating to CarPlay in my Ford Fusion so I have been submitting some of the small ones I have been experiencing with the Insight. One of the major reasons CarPlay/Android Auto was a must when I was shopping for a new car.

1. Cars can choose to disable swipe/drag scrolling and have arrows only.(say for music lists or maps, browsing around maps using nothing but arrows is a terrible experience)
  2. Cars can choose to force you to use Siri to choose music, so you can't scroll through your albums.
  3. Cars can choose to relay information about gas tank capacity to CarPlay or not.
  4. Cars can choose whether or not song information is relayed to the instrument cluster.
  5. Cars can choose whether to display artwork(new)
  6. Cars can choose whether or not GPS navigation instructions dim the radio or just talk with the radio at current volume or to even pause radio while instructions are being given.
  7. Cars can choose whether or not apple maps GPS instructions show up on the instrument cluster/holographic windshield dashboard or nowhere.
On a separate note, while browsing the carplay sub-reddit, I noticed this comment about how much control automakers have over CarPlay/Android Auto. I thought CarPlay/Android Auto was just running off our phones but it seems automakers can control what you can see and do within CarPlay/Android Auto. Which explains why when I was shopping for my next car, I had seen owners complain about the "implementation" of CarPlay/Android Auto being horrible in certain cars, it didn't make sense to me at the time. I thought CarPlay/Android Auto runs the same on every car since the software was controlled by Apple/Google on our phones instead of the automaker.

·
Registered
836 Posts
To the no weather app for apple, it's pretty simple to ask Siri what the weather will be like.

As far as CarPlay, I still hate apple maps, it just isn't as good as google in that department. Attended a funeral yesterday, and thanks to lkas, and acc, I just picked up my phone quick to get directions since apple maps wanted me to go 81 miles in the wrong direction.

·
Super Moderator
2,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
90 Posts
So part of my fun parts of my work is to test the latest Mac OSX version and make sure the new IOS Betas are working with our company software. So been playing with IOS 13 beta and been really liking the new CarPlay features.

So first thing I like is the fact I can actually use my my phone and not have the screen change to something different. Well, more accurately I can see the apple map and my wife can you my phone to play Pokeman go on my phone. Before if you switched away from the apple map app it would go back to the home menu on car play...which was a bit annoying. Also, if you want to take pictures of your cool MPG status without unplugging your phone from power, it works great.

The biggest update is the screen has a split screen look to it. Depending on the time of day it might show different things. So in the morning when I get in it shows home and work as default driving locations. It'll also show calendar and music info as well. You can click on any one of them and it'll zoom into that app. So I can press the map side and it'll take me in.

Also, minor thing but I like it a lot. When your in apple maps and a calendar reminder comes on, it goes away after about 15 seconds. In the old version it would just stay there until you clicked on it and closed it.

Took some pictures...but I can make a video sometime if you guys would like as well.

Attachments

·
Registered
238 Posts
Appreciate the info.

Does one still have to turn on Siri to use CarPlay and Maps?

Note: This isn't about asking Siri for directions, but that Apple has insisted that one activates Siri before CarPlay will even work.

Or, maybe there's a work-around.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Not sure, but it would make sense. Since the car has the ability to call Siri to give her commands, it would make sense that you have to have it on. But will see if I can test tonight to confirm for you.

Do you have some beef with Siri that you don't use her? Or do you not like Apple knowing everything you are doing? Part of my work requires me to disable Siri from the MacOS X systems we have...and Apple doesn't make it easy at all.

Appreciate the info.

Note: This isn't about asking Siri for directions, but that Apple has insisted that one activates Siri before CarPlay will even work.

·
Super Moderator
3,327 Posts

Full use of CarPlay technically requires Siri activation on your iPhone. Full CarPlay features would would include access to things like live maps/traffic, streaming music, etc.

You could turn off CarPlay on your iPhone (General --> Restrictions --> Carplay) to make your phone "seem" like an iPod (or hard drive?) to the infotainment system. This should bypass the Siri requirement when plugging your iPhone into the car's USB port. You should be able to connect without Siri in this state, and view/access static contents stored on your iPhone (e.g. pre-downloaded music/podcasts, offline maps, etc).

·
Registered
90 Posts
Just tested it and with iOS 13 you still need Siri to be active.

Appreciate the info.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 27 Posts