Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Administrator
4,505 Posts
Already tried everything. Even Apple tech support can’t figure it out. Also forgot to mention that not only my watch but the calls are not forwarded to my iPad Pro either. And as I mentioned before I reset the car audio system to factory settings and I recently upgraded to 12 pro and still the same problem.
I've had different results from a Bluetooth standpoint depending on whether I pair device to car, or pair car to phone. My suggestion was based on the thought that the process of pairing may make a difference. But if you've cleared both and tried re-pairing with each approach, you've addressed the suggestion.

·
Administrator
4,505 Posts
Did you update your Apple watch to the latest WatchOS? It released a couple/few weeks ago. I needed to do that to clear a bunch of bugs relating to inter-device communication.
Sounds like Insighter2019 upgraded the phone (iPhone 12 Pro) to iOS 14 and the Apple Watch to the latest iOS. Apple Watch version isn't mentioned in post, and perhaps Insighter2019 can confirm. 7.0.3 is the latest released version, but several releases were made in October.

Apple Watch's latest versions:
- 7.0.2 (released 10/12/20)
- 7.0.3 (released 10/19/20)
- 7.1 beta (released 10/22/20)

·
Registered
22 Posts
All the devices are updated to the highest level. Also there is no watch OS 7.0.3. For my watch as I am using the series 5. That version of OS is not for all Apple watches. I don’t use beta softwares.

·
Super Moderator
2019 OWP Insight EX
1,355 Posts
All the devices are updated to the highest level. Also there is no watch OS 7.0.3. For my watch as I am using the series 5. That version of OS is not for all Apple watches. I don’t use beta softwares.
I have a iWatch series 5 and am running 7.0.2 currently.

·
Administrator
4,505 Posts
Here's what Apple posted on 7.0.3, which is the latest released version as listed above:

watchOS 7.0.3 contains improvements and bug fixes, including an issue where Apple Watch Series 3 may unexpectedly restart for some users. Some features may not be available for all regions or on all Apple devices. For information on the security content of Apple software updates, please visit this website: Apple security updates

·
Registered
22 Posts
Found a solution to the problem. It’s not perfect but it does work.
When connecting the phone to CarPlay the car needs to be turned on while connecting and disconnecting the phone. If the car if turned off then while any connection then the problem occurs again.
Hope this helps anyone who might be facing this type of issue.

·
Registered
665 Posts
This car's stereo tends to have a lot more troubles if the unit is hooked to the radio before ignition rather than after. The same happens with Android Auto. Honda's software really bites!

·
Administrator
4,505 Posts
When connecting the phone to CarPlay the car needs to be turned on while connecting and disconnecting the phone. If the car if turned off then while any connection then the problem occurs again.
I wonder if this need to connect after the car has started has something to do with new wireless CarPlay (or interference therein?) that just showed up on the 2021 Accord.

For cars with wireless CarPlay, one of Honda's instruction videos for that advises to connect via cable before starting the car to enable concurrent use of both WiFi and CarPlay; forgetting to connect before starting will result in just a 'regular' wireless CarPlay connection.

And that the Insight is affected might mean that wireless CarPlay can be retrofit at some point in the future...?

For Honda wireless CarPlay (or Android Auto) users only:

·
Registered
16 Posts
The car is a 2019 Touring. I love the car, Car Play not so much.

This is what's gone on to date. At about 3 months after purchase Car Play froze up while Garmin Maps was running. It would not restart after shutting down the car. I plugged the wife's Android phone in and Android Auto worked. A trip to the local Apple store confirmed that it was the car's problem. The Honda dealer where it was purchased was just 2 miles away, so that was the next stop. They pulled the 12 volt battery negative cable off, let it sit 10 minutes, then reconnected the battery to cold boot all the electronic systems. That fixed it, and it's not done that again. The Honda dealer told that taking the 12 volt power off the system is the only way to completely reboot the entertainment software. It's an easy fix if you have a 10 mm socket.

However, it's done other things.

Right after iOS 13 came out in June 2019 more Car Play problems started. The sound would quit randomly while playing music. If I got a phone call the Car Play music played only on the one speaker in the center of the dash. Killing Pandora on the phone and restarting would fix it. After a few iOS 13 updates those issues diminished. The sound disconnects became rare, but never went entirely away. Sometime before the next chapter, iOS 14, Honda issued an entertainment system software update. That seemed to have no effect in Car Play,

Then along came iOS 14. It has been a Car Play disaster for me. I rarely get more than 10 minutes after startup until music stops playing. I have tried Pandora and Spotify, no difference. The fix is to unplug the phone and plug it back in. After that I have not seen sound stop again, but I have not taken any long trips in the car either - COVID.

Another problem HAS popped up. About 5 times since iOS 14 the entire entertainment system has spontaneously beeped loudly and rebooted. I got a new, Apple certified, USB cable. I cold booted the Honda system several times. I deleted the phone from the Honda system to reset its connection. I replaced my iPhone 6s with a SE 2020 (for other reasons, not Car Play). All of my apps are up-to-date. It's still happening, last time just a week ago.

And, at times when the sound stops and I unplug the USB cable the system says "USB connection error" when I plug it back in. To fix that I have to shut the car down and restart.

Needless to say this has been a VERY disappointing experience. Car Play was one of the motivations behind trading my 2015 Civic for the Insight and converting from Android to Apple phones.

I hope Honda and Apple can get this fixed, but am not hopeful in the short run. Any further hints from other Insight owners are welcomed.

·
Super Moderator
2019 OWP Insight EX
1,355 Posts
I have a 2020SE as well. The only issue I've had is pocket lint getting into the charging port causing connectivity issues. In such cases, the phone can charge, but it won't connect and start CarPlay. No problems if the port is kept clean/clear.

I don't have the freeze/reboot you are having.

·
Administrator
4,505 Posts
Needless to say this has been a VERY disappointing experience. Car Play was one of the motivations behind trading my 2015 Civic for the Insight and converting from Android to Apple phones.

I hope Honda and Apple can get this fixed, but am not hopeful in the short run. Any further hints from other Insight owners are welcomed.
Welcome to the forum. The head unit is Android-based, and tends to be finicky (though compatible with) iPhones. These are maybe overly simple thoughts, but...
- Do you get same result with different USB cords?
- Are you connecting your phone only after starting the car (suggestion from above for Apple Watch issue)?

By 'cold booting' the infotainment system, do you mean the "soft reset" mentioned in the following thread (LINK) or "hard reset" via factory data reset? How much uptime shows on your head unit when these issues occur? One 'fun fact' is that the head unit always stays on and accumulates uptime even while car is powered off.

Regarding sound/volume issues while connected thru USB:
- Does changing the volume on your phone help at all - CarPlay Audio Volume too low!
- Is your volume maxing out at low level - Volume Stops working with USB connected

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX (White Orchid Pearl)
2,807 Posts
I got a new, Apple certified, USB cable.
You said Apple certified so I assume it wasn't an Apple cable. Have you try the original Apple usb cable that came with your phone?

·
Registered
16 Posts
You said Apple certified so I assume it wasn't an Apple cable. Have you try the original Apple usb cable that came with your phone?
I have now also tried a genuine Apple cable. $20 for the 18” length, yikes! It made no difference. My dealer has ordered a replacement entertainment unit. If that does not fix it I’ll see if the wife’s Android phone Car Play is more reliable. If it is I’m switching back to Samsung or Moto.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Welcome to the forum. The head unit is Android-based, and tends to be finicky (though compatible with) iPhones. These are maybe overly simple thoughts, but...
  • Do you get same result with different USB cords?
  • Are you connecting your phone only after starting the car (suggestion from above for Apple Watch issue)?

By 'cold booting' the infotainment system, do you mean the "soft reset" mentioned in the following thread (LINK) or "hard reset" via factory data reset? How much uptime shows on your head unit when these issues occur? One 'fun fact' is that the head unit always stays on and accumulates uptime even while car is powered off.

Regarding sound/volume issues while connected thru USB:
The one new idea is connecting only after the car is started. Every other item mentioned has been tried.

·
Administrator
4,505 Posts
I have now also tried a genuine Apple cable. $20 for the 18” length, yikes! It made no difference. My dealer has ordered a replacement entertainment unit. If that does not fix it I’ll see if the wife’s Android phone Car Play is more reliable. If it is I’m switching back to Samsung or Moto.
Maybe try the android phone before (and after?) the head unit is replaced. The Honda head units are Android based, and you might have better luck/compatibility with it than iPhone.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I would recommend doing a factory reset on your Honda insight head unit via the settings menu. From my practice of using various devices on Android (phones, tablets, etc.) after the update, it is still worth doing a full reset to factory settings. Yes, this will require you to re-bind your phone and customize the buttons for you.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX (White Orchid Pearl)
2,807 Posts
Hope you've better luck with the new replacement. Mine is stable with CarPlay whether I connect before or after the car starts up.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Update: I took the car in yesterday and Honda replaced some of the entertainment system components under warranty. I drove the car for about an hour today and no issues. That was unusual, but did happen, before the repair. I will post again after a week or two.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Update after 5 days. I was really hopeful based on short drives that the Honda parts replacement fixed the problems. Yesterday we were in the car for 3 hours and unfortunately the problems with spontaneous entertainment head reboots and music audio disconnects are not resolved. Here is what we have tried:

Replaced the USB cable with Apple OEM
Replaced the entertainment system audio system
Deleted and re-paired the iPhone
Connected the iPhone only after the Honda system has booted up

In addition, the entire entertainment/information system froze up yesterday. Re-connecting the iPhone fixed it. I have never seen that happen before.

Next up? Try the wife's Android phone, a Moto G4.

21 - 40 of 54 Posts