Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There may be a previous post on this but I was unable to find anything. I have my Insight set for walk away lock. A couple of days ago when I got out of the car instead of the doors locking before the walk away lock, the car started to a make a long warning sound like I had left the key in the car. I park in the garage so I didn't pay much attention but when I got into the house I noticed that the key was in my pocket so it couldn't be it. I went back out and tried the drivers door and it was unlocked and all the other doors were closed properly. Then I noticed that I had left my cell phone in the car. I removed the phone and everything worked properly. Does the car give a warning for something like this ?

·
Super Moderator
2,347 Posts
There may be a previous post on this but I was unable to find anything. I have my Insight set for walk away lock. A couple of days ago when I got out of the car instead of the doors locking before the walk away lock, the car started to a make a long warning sound like I had left the key in the car. I park in the garage so I didn't pay much attention but when I got into the house I noticed that the key was in my pocket so it couldn't be it. I went back out and tried the drivers door and it was unlocked and all the other doors were closed properly. Then I noticed that I had left my cell phone in the car. I removed the phone and everything worked properly. Does the car give a warning for something like this ?
Could be signal interference from the cell phone that could had caused the car to mistaken your phone for the keyfob? :confused: :)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No the phone wasn't attached to the USB. It was sitting on the passenger seat and car was turned off which was in the garage. No idea

·
Super Moderator
3,328 Posts
Did the 'long warning sound' come from inside (chime/tone) or outside (beep/lights) the car?

If the sound came from inside (chime), maybe it was a "power mode reminder" (p191) where warning beep sounds when drivers door is opened and power mode is in Accessory. I don't know of an alert specifically triggered by cell phone left plugged into USB...

If the sound came from outside (beep/lights), maybe it was "walk away lock" failure alert (p172) letting you know the auto lock didn't complete (e.g. remote taken out of range before drivers doors was closed).

My guess is related to the second warning, since you mentioned drivers door was unlocked. The lock system may have been alert that the driver door didn't lock in the process.

Semi-related question, but do you have your unlock settings set to unlock all doors when drivers door handle is grabbed, or just the drivers door? Did you hear the doors unlock when you went back, or were they in the same state as when you left?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The sound appeared to come from outside but it wasn't the standard beep but rather very fast beeping. So again I will mention that the phone was NOT plugged into the USB port. It was on the passenger seat. There was no light flash and the beeping started almost as soon as I shut the door. I have a door into the house from the garage and the walk away beep only activates when I walk into the house as it is so close. I have the unlock settings to unlock all doors. When I went back into the garage and put my hand on the drivers handle there was no beep as the doors were unlocked. The best way to describe the beep when I got out of the car initially is by parking your car and leaving it running and then getting out and taking the key fob with you and the car will start beeping. That is the noise I heard. So when I left the car the first beep and lights never activated and the walk away beep and lights never activated either. When I realized I had the key in my pocket and went back out the doors were unlocked. Opening the door I saw the cell phone on the passenger seat and removed it and then shut the drivers door. As soon as I shut the door I got the beep and the light flash and when I walked into the house through the garage door I got the second beep and flash from the walk away setting.

·
Super Moderator
3,328 Posts
The sound appeared to come from outside but it wasn't the standard beep but rather very fast beeping. So again I will mention that the phone was NOT plugged into the USB port. It was on the passenger seat. There was no light flash and the beeping started almost as soon as I shut the door. I have a door into the house from the garage and the walk away beep only activates when I walk into the house as it is so close. I have the unlock settings to unlock all doors. When I went back into the garage and put my hand on the drivers handle there was no beep as the doors were unlocked. [...] So when I left the car the first beep and lights never activated and the walk away beep and lights never activated either.
The car doesn't give a 'cell phone alarm' so thread title/question is a bit misleading. Pretty certain the fast beeping was to let you know the walk-away lock didn't activate properly, as you found later. :)

Maybe issue was compounded by door to house being close to car as described. Is it possible that you walked 'so fast' into the house that the fob was out of range before the drivers door physically closed? This is one thing that will cause alert, and I've experienced this before when I've been in a rush (p36, p171) - "the auto lock function will not activate [if] the remote is taken out of its operational range before all doors are closed [and] beeper will sound."

·
Registered
558 Posts
For me the fast exterior beep has always happened when you leave the car and it's still on and you walk away with the fob. I wondering if something in your car didn't power down properly and the car thought you were leaving it on while walking away with the fob. Sorry for this badly worded post. I'm exhausted after a rough night.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts