Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my insight came with the lights in the door handles, side compartments and by pedals. Does anyone know how to get to those lights and what kind of bulb it is?

·
Registered
85 Posts
So my insight came with the lights in the door handles, side compartments and by pedals. Does anyone know how to get to those lights and what kind of bulb it is?
I can't answer to whether they are LED or small incandescent bulbs since I've never seen them, but all of those bulbs are housed in cases that are attached to harnesses with 4-pin connectors. The reason for this is because there are two sources that run those lights. One is the ACC source that matches your dome light (like when the doors are opened) and the ILLUM source which matches your dashboard lighting (when headlights/parking lights are turned on).

Here are the instructions for each kit that illustrate what they look like:
Under Dash Lights: https://www.collegehillshonda.com/instructions/insight/2020/interiorillumination.pdf
Door Panel Lights: https://www.collegehillshonda.com/instructions/insight/2020/illuminateddoorlining.pdf

This is the under dash light housing:

Red arrow is pointing at the bulb.

Door handle:

Side Compartment:

My Insight did not have these, but I wanted to install the under-dash lights, but be blue aftermarket LEDs. I ended up having to choose which behavior I wanted (dome light or headlight) and cutting off the connector on the harness (which I purchased separately) and soldering into the ILLUM lines.

The instructions I pasted will show you exactly how to get to these lights. Expect to take off the entire door panel to get to the door lights. The under-dash is easier to get to, just remove the panels above your feet.

This post explains in detail how I put my aftermarket LEDs under the dash: The CmpeGeek Upgrade Thread

·
Registered
172 Posts
I think you added a zero to that. Also, the parts catalog does not break it down to the bulb level, so I am guessing they are LED, just not the desired color or brightness Michaelherd01 is looking for.

And finally finding the right browser that will load the schematics...

Those are the symbols for LEDs, so they should be.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX
2,907 Posts
I think you added a zero to that.
Yeah you're right they go for $104 and $131 separately before installation cost.

There is an illumination package for $1120 though...

·
Registered
85 Posts
I think you added a zero to that. Also, the parts catalog does not break it down to the bulb level, so I am guessing they are LED, just not the desired color or brightness Michaelherd01 is looking for.

And finally finding the right browser that will load the schematics...
View attachment 6488

Those are the symbols for LEDs, so they should be.
Thanks @WorldThatHeSees

This seems to correlate with the install instructions showing that the door illumination lights have only 2-pin connectors instead of the 4-pin connectors that the under-dash lights have. Based on the testing instructions in the installation guide, these lights only react to the ILLUM circuit which is the circuit connected to the headlights and rheostat on the dashboard.

@Michaelherd01 if you felt comfortable enough, you can cut the wires and put in aftermarket LEDs like what I did for my under-dash lights. I got something like this: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01AFU4QF4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Mind you, that line maxes out at around 8 or 9V (based on me testing with my multimeter and the rheostat on full), but you'd probably want to get 12V LEDs similar to the link above. These LEDs already come with an inline resistor to handle the higher voltage. I actually still found mine to be too bright, so I added an additional 200ohm resistor to them and that helped. The reason I liked those particular LEDs is that they come in multiple colors and a screw-nut housing to fasten them into the holes that the OEM lights use.

My technique is to strip off about 1/4" of the insulation from each wire and wrap them together and bond them with some solder, then cover the soldered part with heat shrink tubing, then reinforce with some electrical tape. Unfortunately, there is no easier way to do it if you want to keep them on the same circuit and have the same behavior as the OEM lights. Otherwise, you'd have to find a different solution like an aftermarket kit that taps into your fuse panel. You'd have to control those separately though or tap into the ACC line which would have them always on whenever the vehicle is on.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts