·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have 178 miles on a Touring trim and now have this message:

Emissions System Problem
Power May Be Reduced
See Your Dealer

Not a nice message to get at a total of 178 miles. I did check the fuel cap, it does not appear to be the problem.
Message comes on/up every time we start the vehicle.
Going to dealer in the morning.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Dealer ran diagnostics and pressure checks for 3 hours. They found nothing wrong that is causing the code. They called American Honda to check with them and were told that they had no other info or input. American Honda told dealer that they had no other tests different from dealer.

Code they got during testing was: P04EE Emission System Fault

Dealer said all tests passed so they cleared codes with the hope that it does not happen again. Dealer asked me to return if the error message shows up again.

Hopefully error message won't return.

·
Registered
4 Posts
First week of ownership of my Insight I got TPM messages and tire pressure was good on all four ties , Reset it , came back 2 days later, again tire pressure ok, Reset again came back 1 day later , reset again and has been fine ever since. Now have 5,500 miles and no longer a problem. Anyone else seen this ?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Check Engine Light back on with the Emission System Problem message again. Car has less than 300 miles now.

This will be round 2 at the Honda dealership. If we go a total of 4 rounds without resolution, Lemon Law process will begin.

I traded a 2012 Toyota Prius (that I bought new in 2012) for this 2019 Honda Insight. The Prius never gave me any problems.

I hope I didn't make a mistake trading in my Prius for this 2019 Honda Insight. This vehicle obviously has a glitch and Honda, so far, does not know how to fix it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Check Engine Light - Solved?

Back to the dealer this morning. While speaking with the dealer service adviser, I asked about maybe doubling up the fuel cap gasket. Popped the fuel door open and removed the fuel cap. I looked at the fuel cap gasket and surprise, it has a cut/gash in it. Why they did not find that last Monday is beyond me. They probably put it on and made sure it clicked a few times without actually looking at the gasket.

Now I don't know if that is enough to cause the Emissions System Problem error message, but I believe it could be. Dealer said that they will order a new fuel cap and replace. They don't know when they can get one because none are available and on back order.

So i'll have to wait until the new one arrives, is installed, and the error codes cleared again to see if that solves the problem. I'll keep all advised.

Picture of damaged fuel cap gasket attached. The dealer that the vehicle was purchased from fueled it at time of delivery. No other fuel has been put in since then.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Gas Cap Replaced

Today's total mileage on vehicle is now 462. Fuel cap replaced and all codes cleared today by dealer. We are hoping that the Check Engine Light does not return.

We will advise everyone soon if the fuel cap replacement works.

As an aside, we could not understand how the fuel cap gasket could get a cut/gash on it to begin with. We have examined the fill pipe for any burrs or anything and did not find anything. We did notice that the fuel door has a bracket to hold the fuel cap when refueling. This bracket has 3 projections that the fuel cap should (and does) easily slide into without coming near the cap gasket. However, if the cap were to be hung on the lower projection, it would be possible to cut/damage the gasket.

We don't know if this is what happened, but nothing else seemed readily apparent. Just be careful of the fuel cap gasket or risk Emission System Problem error along with the check engine light.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Took a trip after replacing fuel/gas cap at 462 total miles. Trip was without incident and ended with 2,054 total miles on car.
The Emissions System Problem error message has not returned and the Check Engine Light has not returned. It seems that the new cap solved that problem.

During this trip we traveled 65 to 75 MPH mostly on flat/hilly terrain, but did also travel through the mountains of WV. This Touring trim vehicle averaged 48.01 MPG. That was for 2 adults, luggage, and a donut spare w/jack and lug wrench.

·
Super Moderator
3,305 Posts
This is a helpful recap and troubleshooting. I'm glad the fuel cap was the solution! The malfunction indicator was certainly detecting gas vapor leak and flagging the emissions risk.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts