Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Administrator
4,838 Posts
Maybe @hmcca could share what was used for partial chrome delete of hybrid badge - https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/2...t-today/3550-little-bit-custom.html#post26370

There's a sponsor on the CivicX site (KoolTint) who runs a customization shop in Alhambra, CA, and currently sells a chrome delete kit for the GenX Civic on eBay. Maybe the owner (Bernie) would consider cutting film for the Insight handles (?). I haven't seen much else listed out there that's custom for the Insight.

Civic chrome delete eBay listing - https://www.ebay.com/itm/2016-2018-...dle-and-Mirror-Chrome-Delete-Kit/253623566002
CivicX forum mention - https://www.civicx.com/threads/fastest-and-easiest-way-to-chrome-delete-your-honda.21650/page-7

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi, sorry for the late response. I'm not familiar with the forum notifications, etc. I just used matte black Plasti-Dip. Just tape and spray. It's super easy. Just make sure everything is super clean before you spray.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I actually bought a piece of matte black vinyl from VViVid on Amazon. It was like 1 ft wide by 5 or 6 ft long. Want to say less than $10. Used a hair dryer to stretch around the angles and curves and a sharp exacto knife to trim. For the door trim, i bought 2 rolls of TrimBrite blackout tape from Autozone. One roll per side. $5 per roll. Use a straight edge (like an old credit card to smooth air bubbles as you go and press the edges down). For any area where you didn't trim pefect, use flat black enamel paint and a toothpick to cover exposed chrome. A little patience and you can do it too. But fear not, if you mess up, you should have enough extra material to do the section/piece over. I got better as I went along. And worse case scenario, you only invested about $20. Also, in the end (if it sarts to fade or peel over time), it's all removable and your trim can be restored like nothing ever happened.:) Have fun with it! Hope that helps.

·
Registered
70 Posts
fwinsight:

awesome job! What kind of rear spoiler is that?

did you put vinyl on the black pillars between the front/rear door windows? I’d like to protect mine from fading and scratching.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Just covered anything chrome, not anything already black, so not pillars or grill. My understanding is you can use those spray ceramic waxes in anything. Supposed to protect vinyl and plastic too. Will make slick enough that may protect from scratches. I just received my order of "The Last Coat" spray polish I'll soon be applying to everything. Oh, forgot to give you a word of caution, when covering the door chrome, be careful not to cut into the little rubbber strips/seals the runs along with the trim. Not going to fix if damaged.

Rear deck spoiler is the Honda accessory. The rear window/roof spoiler is from HIC USA Spoilers. It's made for newest Civic Sedans, but is shared fit for Insight.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I actually bought a piece of matte black vinyl from VViVid on Amazon. It was like 1 ft wide by 5 or 6 ft long. Want to say less than $10. Used a hair dryer to stretch around the angles and curves and a sharp exacto knife to trim. For the door trim, i bought 2 rolls of TrimBrite blackout tape from Autozone. One roll per side. $5 per roll. Use a straight edge (like an old credit card to smooth air bubbles as you go and press the edges down). For any area where you didn't trim pefect, use flat black enamel paint and a toothpick to cover exposed chrome. A little patience and you can do it too. But fear not, if you mess up, you should have enough extra material to do the section/piece over. I got better as I went along. And worse case scenario, you only invested about $20. Also, in the end (if it sarts to fade or peel over time), it's all removable and your trim can be restored like nothing ever happened.:) Have fun with it! Hope that helps. View attachment 5234 View attachment 5235
Extraordinary job! Looks professional from the pictures. I dont like the chrome front grill as I feel it's too obnoxious but I didn't want to pay $200 for someone to do it.

I already have two of the blackout tape coming in this week for the window frames but for the vinyl front grill... How'd you get the vinyl to reach the ends? Any YouTube tutorial videos you recommend?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Apply heat with a hairdryer and push it around and into corners with a plastic straight edge (and you fingenails!). Key is to CLEAN WELL with alcohol and an old toothbrush. Any dirt wont allow adhesive to stick. Dont worry about being perfect (I wasn't). Just dab in some flat black paint into edges/corners with a toothpick. No one will even notice. Now honestly, i don't know how everything will hold in the heat of summer 100+ degrees (peeling or shrinking?). But for $20 investment, i won't sweat it. As for time spent, nothing else to do with the stay at home orders, so I'm tinkering with everything on my car..LOL.. good luck and stay well!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Oh, I've taken a couple rock nicks on the front vinyl, nothing that toothpick with black paint can't handle. And when bad enough, peel off and do it again later!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Great, thanks for the "insight" haha

Yes, exactly for the amount of free time and low cost it's a no brainier. Basically arts n crafts time if you ask me lol

Lastly, did you do your honda emblem too? I used plasti dip and it didn't come out as perfect as I wanted (but the defects areny really noticable from a yard away) and it's still holding up to hot weather (mid 80s) and washes. Planning on eventually redoing it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
As I told a friend, I had extra vinyl and time, so yes, I wrapped it too! That one a little tricky. Cut a square piece, put over the H and use hairdryer to heat and start pushing around contours. I dont think it's gonna hold up in the long run though, too many curves. I got practice with vinyl work with all the other wrapping I did. Rear I did this treatment (only chrome I have left on car)...

·
Registered
13 Posts
As I told a friend, I had extra vinyl and time, so yes, I wrapped it too! That one a little tricky. Cut a square piece, put over the H and use hairdryer to heat and start pushing around contours. I dont think it's gonna hold up in the long run though, too many curves. I got practice with vinyl work with all the other wrapping I did. Rear I did this treatment (only chrome I have left on car)... View attachment 5237
Nice, here's mine

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Like it! I think I'll black mine out too. I opted to debadge everything else! Post your pics when your done with your project!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Like it! I think I'll black mine out too. I opted to debadge everything else! Post your pics when your done with your project!
Thanks, it was just the easiest way to go about it lol Originally I wanted to peel the inside so only the chrome was blacked out but the way the paint formed between layers (the Plasti can I had was 4-5 years old and lost pressure, thus the spray was more "wet" rather than mist spray). There's a part on the bottom where there's an air gap and if that thing rips then the chrome will be exposed and I will probably have to remove all the plasti dip. Not bad considering my main goal was to black out the insight and hybrid emblems.

Thanks! Will do hopefully by the end of this week when everything arrives!

·
Registered
166 Posts
I love my white insight. I'd love to do a chrome delete but I haven't got around to it yet... Thats my next mod for the car.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Are you guys using flat/satin/matte black when doing the chrome delete? I'd like to jump in and do the same with my white insight.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I used matte/flat (cost a little less and i wasnt sure how successful I would be). I think satin might look better and will probably use that when it's time to change it.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts