·
Super Moderator
2019 OWP Insight EX, 2021 PWP Insight EX
1,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
602 Posts
I’m not sure if you heard, but Sony and Honda are teaming up to make electric cars that should be released in 2025. With Sony being a great electronics company and Honda being a great car maker, I think it’s a really great partnership.

I think that may be my next car.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX
3,245 Posts
Sony & Honda are creating a new company. It will have total autonomy separate from Honda except for utilizing Honda's facilities to assemble the vehicle. Which is similar to Volvo and Polestar. I think the Sony car will come at a premium and be price more like an Acura judging by the equipment in the prototype vehicles. We might not even see a vehicle out of this partnership considering the company doesn't exist yet and it's all just an agreement on intent.

The two companies have signed a memorandum of understanding that outlines their intent to establish a joint venture (“New Company”).
The New Company is expected to plan, design, develop, and sell the EVs, but not own and operate manufacturing facilities, so Honda is expected to be responsible for manufacturing the first EV model at its vehicle manufacturing plant. Honda Global | March 4, 2022 Sony and Honda Sign Memorandum of Understanding for Strategic Alliance in Mobility Field
The GM and Honda partnership is a stopgap measure for Honda to acquire an EV platform quickly and ultium batteries. Honda is already working on their own electric platform called e:Architecture.

The Civic Hybrid doesn't offer enough new benefits or features for me to upgrade from the Insight. It's already lacking Android Automotive OS and Honda Sense 360 that future models will get. The Civic has always been technologically behind the Accord. I'm hoping the Insight will get a 4th gen that follows the 11th gen Accord similar to this gen. Honda already said the Civic Hybrid Hatch isn't coming to the US.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Yeah I still proudly enjoy having an Insight over a Civic..it has a cooler history, being Honda’s first hybrid and first mass production hybrid ever..

Although I am not a big fan of Tesla, I must admit they did something great to the automotive market by getting non-car companies involved (ie: Sony, Apple)..

By the time my Insight quits on me, there should be a Sony and Apple car out.. very exciting automotive future.

·
Registered
84 Posts
MPG would sure have to be equal or greater than what I'm getting now and seeing that I just got 55+MPG Highway doing 65 MPH from NJ to MA last month, I don't think I'll be trading in my Insight Touring any time soon.

·
Registered
2019 Touring CosBlu
265 Posts
Lots of reviews now out there about the European Civic eHEV. Though wordy, press statement from Honda squeezes a lot of details of what they took from the Insight and what they added on. Though I would probably have loved the mature technologies packaged here, it seems at least another year from the US. In the meanwhile, I've enjoyed my gen3 since 2019...

Highlights:
  • 2.0L ICE (apparently newly designed, so not just the old Accord Hybrid's dropped in).
  • "winding road detection system' to adjust drive mode to improve responsiveness and reduce unnecessary/frequent switching of drive modes with stronger deceleration level
  • at high speeds, system provides responsive acceleration with high engine torque at higher loads
  • new "individual" mode allows users to tailor their driving style including steering weight and throttle response
  • new sonar sensors improve reliability of range of ADAS
  • Traffic Jam Assist
  • updated Adaptive Cruise Control for smoother accel and braking
  • Adaptive Driving Beam - evolution of auto high beam to auto switch multiple LEDs individually to optimize visibility without blinding others
  • 4.7 L/100km = 50.05 mpg

1 - 8 of 8 Posts