Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
American Honda advised "Green Car Reports" last week that the Clarity Electric (which debuted at the 2017 NY Auto International Show) is now discontinued.

Production of the Electric car ceased at the end of 2019, per Honda spokesperson Natalie Kumaratne in an email to USA Today. The other two Clarity models (Fuel Cell and Plug-In Hybrid) will continue through the 2020 model year. - www.greencarreports.com/news/1127377_the-honda-clarity-electric-has-run-out-of-range-won-t-return-for-2020

Distribution of the Electric and Fuel Cell versions had already been limited to just California (and Oregon?) last year. But this signals how tough the US electric car market is to crack outside of "select" states. Total Clarity sales across all versions in the US only totaled 11,654 in 2019 (-42% from 2018). Perhaps this is also why the Honda CEO made recent (foreshadowing) statements about EV's not being a priority for Honda - www.gen3insight.com/threads/evs-and-the-future.3594/#post-30808

·
Super Moderator
2,334 Posts
The Clarity was never meant to be an electric vehicle. The platform was built for a fuel cell vehicle since the 1st gen Clarity. I think they added the PHEV and EV variations to recoup some of the development cost rather than trying to profit off them. I bet Honda lost money on each Clarity sold since they ship them in from Japan and dealerships only sold them whenever Honda had a $4-6k off the MSRP discount before federal/state incentives.

I'm not surprise to see them discontinue the Clarity EV already.

·
Super Moderator
3,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Honda was targeting 4-year sales of 75k across all variants of the Clarity when launched in 2017, and anticipated that the plug-in hybrid would be the sales leader. However, only 34k have sold in 3-years of sales across the Clarity line-up.

I kind of respect Honda for making these decisions based on reality, rather than hanging false hope on something that's trendy. Not every car can be a Tesla...

Those currently leasing a Clarity Electric can request an extension. But Honda will eventually mine the info from all cars returned-from-lease to refine next generation electric technology (e.g. powertrain, battery pack, motor, charging)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts