Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

Clunk noise near driver's wheel under strong acceleration.

4K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  Boozeralex 
#1 ·
2019 Touring here with less than 10k miles.

When at a stop with the ICE off, a strong acceleration results in a clunk noise coming from near the front driver wheel. This is NOT the clutch noise that the ICE makes when it engages, although it is similar. It's a bit deeper and louder. It sounds worrisome. It comes from either the wheel or something a foot away at most.

At first I thought it was a stuck caliper. But then I have tested again by releasing the foot from the brake a few seconds, letting it roll, and then accelerating, and it's still there.

Any idea?

#3 ·
2019 Touring here with less than 10k miles.

When at a stop with the ICE off, a strong acceleration results in a clunk noise coming from near the front driver wheel. This is NOT the clutch noise that the ICE makes when it engages, although it is similar. It's a bit deeper and louder. It sounds worrisome. It comes from either the wheel or something a foot away at most.

At first I thought it was a stuck caliper. But then I have tested again by releasing the foot from the brake a few seconds, letting it roll, and then accelerating, and it's still there.

Any idea?
Does is it sound worse in a corner? I'm suspecting half shafts. But that is what a warranty is for.

#4 ·
I would be careful with guessing where sounds are coming from. I tore apart the whole dash of my truck chasing a rattle. Turns out it was just vibrating up through the firewall and air conditioning ducts and was actually the transfer case about five or so feet away from where I could have sworn it was.

Anywho, if you take this to a dealer I would bet a substantial amount that they are just going to tell you it is the brakes releasing.

#8 ·
Drove around a lot today... also power washed the brakes... After some thinking, it may be the clutch, and by the clutch I mean the starter/flywheel of the ICE. But it sounds abnormally loud, and it sounds like it's knocking just under the floor under the driver? Almost sounds like a hammer hitting something metallic.

#9 ·
Wow, I had this same thing just recently. Around 19K miles on mine and just had similar noises on the 6th.

Started out of nowhere, I noticed the metallic clunk while starting or stopping, but not 100% of the time. I also had it while rolling slowly (less than 15mph) sometimes I would hear a slight grinding noise followed by a clunking or spring sound.

Tried purposefully hitting bumps or taking turns hard but could not replicate it under any of those conditions.

Then as suddenly as the problem started it just stopped. I haven’t heard it since.

Will be very interested in what the cause is.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.