Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Administrator
4,505 Posts
He could also mail Insightful his emblem and then mail it back. :wink:
...or maybe even the cutouts plus instruction/tips. It sounded like Insightful left the emblem in place ('slightly lifted using scissor tips') and slid the cutouts around/behind.
@Insightful - any thoughts on also rigging something similar for the front emblem? Seems harder without the solid surface backing of the trunk emblem.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Please tell me you live near NJ and would take my money to do this to my Insight. If not, pretty-please tell me what materials to buy and how to do it myself.
This pic should help explain the basic concept of what I did. I cut the 4 pieces and slid them under. Hasarad, send me your address and I'll mail you a piece of the vinyl. Maybe you can take pictures to explain it for others since I was just making it up as I did it and didn't plan on it working out so easy. Dish soapy water works to let it slide under. I used murphys oil soap cuz I was too lazy to make the mixture in a spray bottle.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2019 OWP Insight EX
1,355 Posts
This pic should help explain the basic concept of what I did. I cut the 4 pieces and slid them under. Hasarad, send me your address and I'll mail you a piece of the vinyl. Maybe you can take pictures to explain it for others since I was just making it up as I did it and didn't plan on it working out so easy. Dish soapy water works to let it slide under. I used murphys oil soap cuz I was too lazy to make the mixture in a spray bottle.
Wow! The process looks pretty straightforward. I'll send you a private message with my address. I'll post the process via video once I get it done. I was unaware you could get behind the emblem - I though it was once piece! Thanks @Insightful !

·
Super Moderator
2019 OWP Insight EX
1,355 Posts
I just checked my rear emblem. There isn't enough room to slide a sheet of paper behind it like you show in your photos. It there a secret, or is it really that tight of a fit?

·
Registered
38 Posts
It's a tight fit that's why I had to lift it just a little to get it under, but not so much to break it or anything. Just a few mm.

·
Super Moderator
2019 OWP Insight EX
1,355 Posts
Thanks @Insightful for the blue vinyl! It arrived yesterday. It is much more of a vibrant blue than I was expecting - and that's not a bad thing!

I did mine a little differently. I removed the panel from the rear so I could take the emblem off and cover the entire area. There are two 8mm bolts on the outer edge of the trunk holding the panel on. Once removed, there are about 8 fairly weak pop-fasteners which were easy to remove using panel removal levers (plastic). From there, simply disconnect the plugs for trunk release and license plate lights and the panel is free to take to the workbench to work on. Removing the panel was the most difficult part, primarily because I had no idea how it was attached. There is no need to remove the lights above the panel (I didn't know this and started to) - just the two outer bolts and pop the sucker off. The emblem itself is attached to the panel by two press-on clips. I took my time to lever them up sightly until I could get a pair of pliers onto them. All you need to do after that if mildly twist them left and right to work them off the plastic post. TAKE YOUR TIME doing this. If you break a post, you'll need to either get a new emblem or epoxy it back on.

I hope this helps anyone looking to modify the rear emblem. It's pretty straightforward once you know how it's put together.

The blue is an attention-getter. It kind of makes one notice that it's NOT a Civic or Accord.

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
Thanks @Insightful for the blue vinyl! It arrived yesterday. It is much more of a vibrant blue than I was expecting - and that's not a bad thing!

I did mine a little differently. I removed the panel from the rear so I could take the emblem off and cover the entire area. There are two 8mm bolts on the outer edge of the trunk holding the panel on. Once removed, there are about 8 fairly weak pop-fasteners which were easy to remove using panel removal levers (plastic). From there, simply disconnect the plugs for trunk release and license plate lights and the panel is free to take to the workbench to work on. Removing the panel was the most difficult part, primarily because I had no idea how it was attached. There is no need to remove the lights above the panel (I didn't know this and started to) - just the two bolts outer and pop the sucker off. The emblem itself is attached to the panel by two press-on clips. I took my time to lever them up sightly until I could get a pair of pliers onto them. All you need to do after that if mildly twist them left and right to work them off the plastic post. TAKE YOUR TIME doing this. If you break a post, you'll need to either get a new emblem of epoxy it back on.

I hope this helps anyone looking to modify the rear emblem. It's pretty straightforward once you know how it's put together.

The blue is an attention-getter. It kind of makes one notice that it's NOT a Civic or Accord.
Looks GREAT! Thanks for going the extra mile to investigate how to properly take the emblem off! The reflective nature is subtle but awesome.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I tried wrapping the front emblem but didn't like it and also knew that it wouldn't last because of the compound curves. Took a picture just because, then went more subtle and outlined the logo in the front.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX (White Orchid Pearl)
2,806 Posts
I tried wrapping the front emblem but didn't like it and also knew that it wouldn't last because of the compound curves. Took a picture just because, then went more subtle and outlined the logo in the front.
The outline looks way nicer and fits the subtle design of the Insight. :wink:

·
Administrator
4,505 Posts
It's kind of an homage/nod toward Toyota's blue outline approach for their hybrid models. :)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Just wanted to put this out there for other if you were planning to swap emblems: Both emblems will not fit, when I opened the package the emblems appeared to be massive and I did not expect them to fit at all. The smaller of the two (cant remeber which that was) appears to fit perfectly in our front bumper. I will attempt to mount later and we will see....However the rear is just way to big, like twice the size. Not sure what im going to do with the rear now lol.

Type-R OEM Front emblem = 75700-TGH-A01
Type-R OEM Rear emblem = 75701-TGH-A01

·
Administrator
4,505 Posts
Just wanted to put this out there for other if you were planning to swap emblems: Both emblems will not fit, when I opened the package the emblems appeared to be massive and I did not expect them to fit at all. The smaller of the two (cant remeber which that was) appears to fit perfectly in our front bumper. I will attempt to mount later and we will see....However the rear is just way to big, like twice the size. Not sure what im going to do with the rear now lol.

Type-R OEM Front emblem = 75700-TGH-A01
Type-R OEM Rear emblem = 75701-TGH-A01
Bummer.... guess Type-R owners like to show off with bigger emblems. From the specs (and price) it looks like it's the rear emblem that's the smaller size between the two part numbers.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Bummer.... guess Type-R owners like to show off with bigger emblems. From the specs (and price) it looks like it's the rear emblem that's the smaller size between the two part numbers.
I had to work super early today, but I will be installing it in the front once im off, I'll add a photo with the part number. I dont know if there are any screws or anything that would require taking off the bumper, but I am not doing that again for as long as I can avoid it...so just breaking it off hopefully it works out well but everything measured up perfectly when i mocked it up last night.

·
Administrator
4,505 Posts
I had to work super early today, but I will be installing it in the front once im off, I'll add a photo with the part number. I dont know if there are any screws or anything that would require taking off the bumper, but I am not doing that again for as long as I can avoid it...so just breaking it off hopefully it works out well but everything measured up perfectly when i mocked it up last night.
Should just be plastic pop-out screws that attach. This video on replacing emblems on a Gen9 Civic in post #9 may give you some ideas on how to approach. Good luck!

21 - 40 of 56 Posts