Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two things inspired me to play around with the interior. The all black is boring to no end and my hatred for leather. Luckily with the EX there is only really one piece of leather and with some glue, sew foam, and fabric we now have life.

I probably pop a door panel off next and see what can be done with those.

Other than that, you can also see on the door pillar I took a gamble and bought these covers for the door speakers. Seems they are the same between the Civic and Insight. Eventually I will get around to trying a few other Civic accessories like this, this, and probably this even though that is a bit of a duplicate. Not sure any of that stuff will fit, but as there is zero aftermarket support for our Insight, why not chance it?

Anyone out there done anything with their interior to spice it up?

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Haven't you Just covered up the front passenger airbag?
No, that is just a plastic trim piece. There is nothing behind it. I was very curious where the airbag actually is. Come to think of it, when I had my dash torn apart I never saw anything of the likes...

I am beginning to think the airbag is a lie to make you feel better.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Come to think of it, I have been looking at getting a salvaged Insight to play around with for about 6 months now, I do not recall ever seeing a deployed passenger airbag that whole time. #TheAirBagIsALie

But seriously, looking at the car and watching a
crash test {look at 2:50}. It comes out the top from the dash.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I stepped it frame by frame and captured this (about 2:38 of the video):

It seems to tear open the top of the dash.

Reactions: brak

·
Administrator
4,838 Posts
But seriously, looking at the car and watching a crash test {look at 2:50}. It comes out the top from the dash.
The backside of the (gigantic) passenger airbag rests on the flat area; maybe since it's a support point for the airbag, Honda lists it as an area to keep clear (?).

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well it really does not matter as all I did was pull the old covering off and replaced it with prettier stuff. Boo leather!

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Do you plan to colorize other leather parts (e.g. armrest)?
Pretty sure that is the only leather piece in the car. The door and center armrests are a real thin fabric with zero padding. Might just pull them apart to soften them up. But yeah, if I find anything else that is leather, it is gone.

I did the same thing to my Challenger, and eventually the Insight will look similar. Just will not tear this thing too far apart as it is my ride to work.

I did the sunvisors and Jesus handles too, but apparently did not feel the need to tilt my phone an extra degree. Still slowly adding random purple trim, but almost done. Think all I will do is the vents and maybe the instrument cluster.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Okay, so I spent some money that should have been spent on more important things, so here we go.

Like I said before, I bought these door speaker trim pieces, they are a perfect color match and fit great. So if you are looking for a different color, a Civic accessory fits here.

I gambled on these door trim thingies because they looked pretty similar. Again perfect fit and color match. I have no installed them as it will be 40-50 degrees warmer outside next week, so pictures them. So if you are looking for a different color, a Civic accessory fits here.

I bought this trim for my hazard button that occasionally falls out. Do NOT fit. It is far enough off I doubt I can bend it right. So that was $9 wasted. The color was perfect though.

And finally this mix of trim. The last three were all "CKE" and the color was perfect. This kit from "TopDall", the speaker trim, which I already had, and the start button ring are a flat, off shade blue. Does not match my Aegean Blue at all. The control knobs however have that glossy look to them. I have some touch up paint so I will repaint the start ring before I install it. Outside of that, all the pieces are a perfect fit. So if you had the desire, just keep in mind if you are as OCD as I can be, you might want to buy some paint as well. But yes, if you are looking for a different color, a Civic accessory fits here. It also looks like "CKE" offers the three different acessories individually so I am once again an idiot and should have done more research.

Again, pictures when it is 60 degrees F outside, not 20.

The idea popped in my mind, so odds are I am going to take the jump and get my seat belts rewebbed. I ordered a sample of the cobalt blue and it was beautiful. Seeing as that is probably going to be somewhere in the $700-1000 range and keep the car parked for three weeks. Not in a rush. That is probably when I will take a look at the door panels and see what troubles it would be to cover the armrests. Maybe play with the center console as well.

·
Administrator
4,838 Posts
I finally this mix of trim. The last three were all "CKE" and the color was perfect. This kit from "TopDall", the speaker trim, which I already had, and the start button ring are a flat, off shade blue. Does not match my Aegean Blue at all. The control knobs however have that glossy look to them. I have some touch up paint so I will repaint the start ring before I install it. Outside of that, all the pieces are a perfect fit. So if you had the desire, just keep in mind if you are as OCD as I can be, you might want to buy some paint as well. But yes, if you are looking for a different color, a Civic accessory fits here. It also looks like "CKE" offers the three different acessories individually so I am once again an idiot and should have done more research.
This reminds that @Verdier did red interior 'colorizing' to Ruby a couple years back, but only used the climate control / fan rings. The TopDall kit came with red (or blue) rings for tweeters, climate control knobs, and power button.

·
Registered
137 Posts
And finally this mix of trim. The last three were all "CKE" and the color was perfect. This kit from "TopDall", the speaker trim, which I already had, and the start button ring are a flat, off shade blue. Does not match my Aegean Blue at all. The control knobs however have that glossy look to them. I have some touch up paint so I will repaint the start ring before I install it. Outside of that, all the pieces are a perfect fit. So if you had the desire, just keep in mind if you are as OCD as I can be, you might want to buy some paint as well. But yes, if you are looking for a different color, a Civic accessory fits here. It also looks like "CKE" offers the three different acessories individually so I am once again an idiot and should have done more research.
I have the Crimson Pearl Insight and was thinking about grabbing me some of these: https://www.amazon.com/ColorRite-Two-Ounce-Bottle-Automotive-Touch-up/dp/B00KXO3OME/

I don't think I'd be able to mask off and precision-paint the climate control knobs and preserve the metallic rings. I'm not a big fan of them anyway, but painting the ignition and speaker rings to match my exterior might look pretty nice. Even comes with the clearcoat.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Soooooooooooo I bought the paint that matches my exterior and tried to apply it to the trim pieces (the TopDall ones mentioned above) and that was a disaster lol. The paint was in small bottles (the color paint and clearcoat paint) and had brushes attached to the lids. I just couldn't apply it without streaking and blotching. The surface of the trim pieces were too slick and the paint couldn't stick. Of course, spray paint would have been better but couldn't find anything for less than $50. I ended up putting the A/C knobs on and throwing away the speaker and power button trims, but then I reordered those separately and will just live with the color. They aren't so bad. I actually got myself a new steering wheel cover with nice red threading that matches the new red interior motif (https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07B94RB3S/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1). The interior is really starting to look sporty. Once all my mods are done I'll make a video and post it in my modification thread.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts