Gen 3 Insight Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know what size is the donut spare tire that will fit the trunk well of a 2019 insight? Does the one from a Civic fit, what year(s)? Thanks.
Jason007

·
Super Moderator
2019 OWP Insight EX, 2021 PWP Insight EX
1,643 Posts
Hi Jason. Welcome.

Please review the following thread for your answer! For a short answer, a 2016-2018 Civic spare fits perfectly.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello Hasarad,
Thanks for your reply. I don't worry about a flat tire yet, but I need a spare to do a tire rotation because I don't have two jacks. I guess now I can look into eBay and see if I can get one.
Jason007

·
Administrator
4,838 Posts
If you're looking for direct match to the OEM 2016-2018 Civic spare (which fits perfectly into the Insight's tire storage space since same body dimensions as Civic), the tire dimensions are T125/80D16 97M.

Even after adding the OEM "foam tool holder" for either the GenX Civic (part #84545-TBA-A10 - round shape) or the Gen3 Insight (part #84541-TXM-A10 - horseshoe shaped) fits perfectly within the space atop the compact spare, keeping the floorboard flush. Pictures of the fit of each of these can be found in this post within the thread @hasarard referenced.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Confused about Tire/Wheel Size for Spare on a 2021 Insight Touring

I just got a 2021 Insight Touring yesterday and like many I discovered, after that fact, that it doesn't come with a spare tire. Otherwise I'm loving the car so far.

First off, I'm not a car expert so I don't know a whole lot about tires/wheels so I apologize for my ignorance.

I do know that the Touring trim has 17" wheels as opposed to the LX/EX which are 16". While searching online for a spare tire (temporary/donut preferred), I'm finding conflicting information. I keep seeing that the T125 80D16 temporary tire will work with all trims, however, will the temporary wheel that that fits this temporary tire on work for all trims?

For example, I found a seller on ebay here selling a spare kit for the 2021 Insight but the listing does not specify the trims. It just says the tire is T125 80D16. Will this kit work for the Touring, or will it only work for the LX/EX trims? I just don't want to buy a kit and it turns out that while the tire size was fine, the wheel was too small so I can't use it, or if I try it damages my new car.

·
Super Moderator
1,643 Posts
Congratulations on your new Insight!

T12580D16 is the standard size compact spare for the Insight. A compact spare does not have the same outer circumference as a full-size tire. When using a compact spare, it should be fitted to a REAR location. In the event of a front flat, you'll need to play musical tires. Mismatched sizes on the drive wheels can damage the car. With all that said, a 16" spare will fit a Touring Insight. As many have stated (including myself), hitting up a local wrecking yard for a Generation X Civic spare setup (2016-2019) will get you the whole setup much cheaper than Honda's official Insight setup.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Congratulations on your new Insight!

T12580D16 is the standard size compact spare for the Insight. A compact spare does not have the same outer circumference as a full-size tire. When using a compact spare, it should be fitted to a REAR location. In the event of a front flat, you'll need to play musical tires. Mismatched sizes on the drive wheels can damage the car. With all that said, a 16" spare will fit a Touring Insight. As many have stated (including myself), hitting up a local wrecking yard for a Generation X Civic spare setup (2016-2019) will get you the whole setup much cheaper than Honda's official Insight setup.
Thank you very much! I actually went to a few local junkyards on my lunch break today and found one that fits a 2016-2019 Civic and got it. I noticed in the insight manual temporary wheel was the same size as the ones on the civic. I then hit up ebay for a 2016-2019 civic jack, tools, and styrofoam case kit which I'll use and just find a place for the battery tool. All in all it was about $160 total, much cheaper than the dealership price.

·
Super Moderator
1,643 Posts
Sounds like you got a good deal. You can cut a place in the Civic foam holder for the battery tool. Congratulations on saving about $200 over the "official" Insight spare setup!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Sounds like you got a good deal. You can cut a place in the Civic foam holder for the battery tool. Congratulations on saving about $200 over the "official" Insight spare setup!
Do you know which pieces are what hold down the spare to its housing so its not rattling around when I drive? I'd like to be able to secure it down. Surely they're cheap.

·
Administrator
4,838 Posts
Do you know which pieces are what hold down the spare to its housing so its not rattling around when I drive? I'd like to be able to secure it down. Surely they're cheap.
There's a long, single bolt and (double sided) flange that holds the spare securely in its place. Depending on which side the flange is placed, it holds down a compact spare or full size tire.

If it's not included with what you bought and/or you need another, the parts are cheap (~$10 total):

·
Registered
12 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts