Gen 3 Insight Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was asked by a few to post my thoughts after unfortunately hitting a deer a few weeks ago and totaling out my insight.

What I had: 2022 Honda Insight EX
What I have now: 2022 Honda Accord Sport Hybrid

We are in a cold snap here in SW Minnesota, so I won't talk about MPG comparisons right now. Never had the insignt in below zero temps, so I'll wait on that.

Differences:
Accord has these features that the insight didn't: Power driver's seat, sunglass holder in ceiling, capless gas filler, fog lights, leather steering wheel, leather wrapped seats (middles are still cloth) leather covered center console arm rest, leather arm rests on doors.

Insight had these features that the Accord doesn't: Blind spot monitoring system (why this isn't standard on all is just DUMB)

Now there are some general differences just because the accord is classified as a full size sedan, and the insight as an economy size sedan:
Accord is 12.5" longer roughly and a bit wider
Accord weighs about 300 lbs more than the insight
Accord has 2.0l engine vs the insights 1.5l
Accord's cabin is more roomy
What have I noticed so far?
Even with the 19" wheels on the accord, the ride is smoother and not as noisy as in the insight
Significantly less engine noise in the accord. I could never get over how the insight sometimes on hill would really rev that engine up. Accord doesn't and you can't hear it if it does

MPG is going to be interesting. In this cold snap (single digit to 0 F) it has been getting in the upper 20's to about 32MPG. driving on average around 65MPH. On the one day when it was in the 30's I found I could get around 36MPG if I hung around 60MPG. The insight in the same conditions around here I could do about 64-64MPG and get 37-38MPG.

I believe the EPA MPG rating for the insight was 49 HWY and 52 CITY. This Accord is 41 HWY and 44 CITY. I know it'll be less MPG than I got with my insight. It'll be interesting however in similar conditions and driving the same way how MUCH of a difference there will be.

One positive note I guess is that my insurance premium is a bit less due to the higher sales numbers and longevity of the accord VS the insight. Now let's hope no stupid deer decide to jump out and scare me again.

I'll post more to this thread as I get some more seat time in the accord. I've only done about 150 miles thus far, whereas I had a little over 8600 in my insight the past 4 - 5 months.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Is it noticeably faster or about the same performance? 0-60 times suggest it should only be a little faster. Handling with snow on the ground and cold tires you probably can’t comment on yet but I’d imagine the Sport handles much better with the huge wheels. I’m actually mad they replaced the EX with the Sport because it lost the power sunroof and blind spot monitoring in exchange for big wheels, seems like a silly exchange. How does seat comfort compare?

·
Registered
41 Posts
I was asked by a few to post my thoughts after unfortunately hitting a deer a few weeks ago and totaling out my insight.

What I had: 2022 Honda Insight EX
What I have now: 2022 Honda Accord Sport Hybrid

We are in a cold snap here in SW Minnesota, so I won't talk about MPG comparisons right now. Never had the insignt in below zero temps, so I'll wait on that.

Differences:
Accord has these features that the insight didn't: Power driver's seat, sunglass holder in ceiling, capless gas filler, fog lights, leather steering wheel, leather wrapped seats (middles are still cloth) leather covered center console arm rest, leather arm rests on doors.

Insight had these features that the Accord doesn't: Blind spot monitoring system (why this isn't standard on all is just DUMB)

Now there are some general differences just because the accord is classified as a full size sedan, and the insight as an economy size sedan:
Accord is 12.5" longer roughly and a bit wider
Accord weighs about 300 lbs more than the insight
Accord has 2.0l engine vs the insights 1.5l
Accord's cabin is more roomy
What have I noticed so far?
Even with the 19" wheels on the accord, the ride is smoother and not as noisy as in the insight
Significantly less engine noise in the accord. I could never get over how the insight sometimes on hill would really rev that engine up. Accord doesn't and you can't hear it if it does

MPG is going to be interesting. In this cold snap (single digit to 0 F) it has been getting in the upper 20's to about 32MPG. driving on average around 65MPH. On the one day when it was in the 30's I found I could get around 36MPG if I hung around 60MPG. The insight in the same conditions around here I could do about 64-64MPG and get 37-38MPG.

I believe the EPA MPG rating for the insight was 49 HWY and 52 CITY. This Accord is 41 HWY and 44 CITY. I know it'll be less MPG than I got with my insight. It'll be interesting however in similar conditions and driving the same way how MUCH of a difference there will be.

One positive note I guess is that my insurance premium is a bit less due to the higher sales numbers and longevity of the accord VS the insight. Now let's hope no stupid deer decide to jump out and scare me again.

I'll post more to this thread as I get some more seat time in the accord. I've only done about 150 miles thus far, whereas I had a little over 8600 in my insight the past 4 - 5 months.

I feel sad for your 2022 Insight EX gone to totaled wreckage,
Yeah, The 2022 Accord Hybrid Sport doesn't have BSI because it's Sport.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Another item to add for a + with the Accord: Wireless Android Auto/Apple Air Play

As far as performance, it does seem peppier. That 2.0L engine I think is the difference. A few more HP.
Seat comfort seems about the same. Only difference really is the sides of the Accord seat are covered in a leather material.
30F today. On a 60 mile drive going 65MPH I averaged about 40.5 MPG. That isn't too shabby and just a half gallon off the EPA listing. I never got to the 49MPG EPA listed highway rating on the insight on the same roads. We have a lot of hills in my area and I don't do hypermiling either.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Another item to add for a + with the Accord: Wireless Android Auto/Apple Air Play

As far as performance, it does seem peppier. That 2.0L engine I think is the difference. A few more HP.
Seat comfort seems about the same. Only difference really is the sides of the Accord seat are covered in a leather material.
30F today. On a 60 mile drive going 65MPH I averaged about 40.5 MPG. That isn't too shabby and just a half gallon off the EPA listing. I never got to the 49MPG EPA listed highway rating on the insight on the same roads. We have a lot of hills in my area and I don't do hypermiling either.
I'd like to add that with Accord Hybrid, you can make much louder engine sound than on the insight.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX
3,113 Posts
Significantly less engine noise in the accord.
That's one of the improvements Honda did when the Accord Hybrid got a mid-gen refresh during the 2021 model year.

"The 2021 Accord Hybrid benefits from updates to the innovative Honda two-motor hybrid system for a more direct and immediate throttle response with a more natural acceleration feeling as engine revs climb in concert with the driver's throttle input."

"Refinements to the Accord Hybrid powertrain have resulted in a quieter driving experience with better engine isolation."

·
Registered
41 Posts
That's one of the improvements Honda did when the Accord Hybrid got a mid-gen refresh during the 2021 model year.

"The 2021 Accord Hybrid benefits from updates to the innovative Honda two-motor hybrid system for a more direct and immediate throttle response with a more natural acceleration feeling as engine revs climb in concert with the driver's throttle input."

"Refinements to the Accord Hybrid powertrain have resulted in a quieter driving experience with better engine isolation."

Yes but there's one change with the color options that Honda did that I find annoying and unfair.
Honda took away Obsidian Blue Pearl which is a color way darker than Cosmic Blue Metallic.
But then I learned from a close friend of mine that Even though Obsidian Blue Pearl may have sold greatly it got discontinued from the Accord Hybrid due to them not making good enough money off that color for that said car. My close friend told me that"what's your favorite color is not everyone else's favorite."😭😭😭😭😭😭😭

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Couple things to add. Accord has Dual climate control. Not a biggie by any means.
-12 F this morning with a good 20-30MPH headwind to work. Averaged 25MPG. Not overly surprised by this considering the conditions. Should be significantly better heading home with the tail wind. Drive does seem slightly smoother. Engine and road noise is definitely less than in the insight.
My car is still night pearl....a fancy word for blue I guess. I do like the color.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Couple things to add. Accord has Dual climate control. Not a biggie by any means.
-12 F this morning with a good 20-30MPH headwind to work. Averaged 25MPG. Not overly surprised by this considering the conditions. Should be significantly better heading home with the tail wind. Drive does seem slightly smoother. Engine and road noise is definitely less than in the insight.
My car is still night pearl....a fancy word for blue I guess. I do like the color.
Very good for you.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Looks wise, I think the Insight wins out. To me, the accord just looks to bulky, especially in the rear and I don’t like the tail lights. I think the current insight is the best looking non-sport and non-luxury sedan from Honda, and even out of all manufacturers and new Civic.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Looks wise, I think the Insight wins out. To me, the accord just looks to bulky, especially in the rear and I don’t like the tail lights. I think the current insight is the best looking non-sport and non-luxury sedan from Honda, and even out of all manufacturers and new Civic.
Agreed, And I can also notice that the Accord Sedan and Accord Hybrid have rear tail lights that are shaped like Shrimp.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I would agree with both of you. It'll be interesting to see what Honda does with the Insight. The sales numbers are just not there and they really have not promoted it at all. I could see it get some revisions and be rebranded as the Civic Hybrid instead.

·
Registered
484 Posts
I was just thinking when it comes to standard sedan looks, I really like the new Toyota Mirai. But that is a $50,000 car.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I would agree with both of you. It'll be interesting to see what Honda does with the Insight. The sales numbers are just not there and they really have not promoted it at all. I could see it get some revisions and be rebranded as the Civic Hybrid instead.
every one talks sales numbers insight vs accord ,, remember dealers in my area
west michigan , we’re told by Honda NOT to order any more Insights ,, might be a big reason why sales numbers down ,, fine,, i didn’t have to wait 25 years to have a Classic Car

1 - 17 of 17 Posts