Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been reported that gas mileage will decrease about 2.5% for every 10 degrees F drop. Over the years I've found that to be very true. While I now have a 2017 Civic (getting a new insight this February), those numbers are generally true. In Wisconsin during the summer I easily get 53 MPG over my regular commute (45 miles) In the winter (below zero consistently) I am lucky to get 42mpg on that same commute.

·
Super Moderator
2,339 Posts
It's been reported that gas mileage will decrease about 2.5% for every 10 degrees F drop. Over the years I've found that to be very true. While I now have a 2017 Civic (getting a new insight this February), those numbers are generally true. In Wisconsin during the summer I easily get 53 MPG over my regular commute (45 miles) In the winter (below zero consistently) I am lucky to get 42mpg on that same commute.
53mpg is impressive for a Civic. Is it the one with the 1.5l turbo? Why do you want an Insight if your Civic is giving you such good fuel economy?

·
Super Moderator
3,321 Posts
Just a a wild guess, but is your lease ending in 2020 (3 years later)?

AAA data suggests the following fuel efficiency losses by engine type in cold weather (~20*F vs warm weather) and short-drive conditions:
  • Conventional = -15% loss
  • Hybrid car = -30% loss
  • Electric car = -40% loss
The fuel efficiency loss is for a hybrid loss is roughly the average of the electric and conventional car, since the hybrid uses both technologies. - https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/29434-post4.html

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I love the Civic EXT but I need to get the honda sensing suite which wasn't available on that model in 2017

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just a a wild guess, but is your lease ending in 2020 (3 years later)?

AAA data suggests the following fuel efficiency losses by engine type in cold weather (~20*F vs warm weather) and short-drive conditions:
  • Conventional = -15% loss
  • Hybrid car = -30% loss
  • Electric car = -40% loss
The fuel efficiency loss is for a hybrid loss is roughly the average of the electric and conventional car, since the hybrid uses both technologies. - https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/29434-post4.html
No lease. Just want to get the Honda Sensing Suite which wasn't available when I got the 2017 EXT. My first civic (2005) was a hybrid. At the time I did not see the degree of MPG fall off that you are quoting.

·
Super Moderator
3,321 Posts
No lease. Just want to get the Honda Sensing Suite which wasn't available when I got the 2017 EXT. My first civic (2005) was a hybrid. At the time I did not see the degree of MPG fall off that you are quoting.
To clarify, I think you maybe meant that Honda Sensing was available for 2017 Civic models, but your dealer only had the non-Sensing version (?). - https://www.edmunds.com/honda/civic/2017/sedan/st-401679046/features-specs/

I shopped for 2016-2019 Civics before deciding on the Insight, and Sensing was available for EX+ trims.
Some dealers offered me models without Honda Sensing to make it seem they were 'reducing the price' of the vehicle. But I too wanted Honda Sensing, especially since I knew that by 2019 it would be standard on ALL Civics.

The 1st Gen (2003-2005) Civic Hybrid had 'features' that are different from the 3rd Gen (2019+) Insight Hybrid design and/or ways to achieve fuel efficiency - including engine start/stop at idle and a permanent magnet assist motor.

Some of the earlier posts in this thread give a sense for observations on cold-weather fuel impacts on the Gen3 Insight, which average 10-30%. There's also an mpg impact from winter gas - https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/266-2019-honda-insight-range-mpge-economy/3518-winter-gas-effect-mpg.html

Passive heating is something we've experimented with in cold weather, to improve fuel efficiency by minimizing use of cabin heat (which is powered by the gas engine) - https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/290-2019-honda-insight-user-interface/2904-passive-cabin-heating-cooling.html

·
Registered
836 Posts
The biggest questions are: (for fuel economy concerns)

What is your commute (highway 70+, highway 65, or 55mph and below)?

Do you park in a garage?

Those of us who park outside, and have shorter commutes definitely take a hit the colder it gets. Once down in single digit temperatures, and with my shorter commute (12 miles), I'm lucky to see 30mpg, after the first 8-10 miles the fuel efficiency is better and starts to climb back to "winter normal" which for me is 40-50mpg.

A traditional ICE car will notice less loss in the winter because the biggest factor of the 3rd Generation Insights fuel economy is how long the Gas engine is off. Whereas a traditional ICE car see's fuel economy loss from winter blend fuels, and working harder to keep the ideal operating temperature (peak efficiency); our car takes a much bigger hit (especially when several factors compound).

Just something to consider, if you are getting 53 mpg, highway and in winter, I don't know if the Insight can compete with that directly, especially if you are traveling over 70mph.

·
Registered
143 Posts
i average 45 summer, 37 with cold snowy winters. i have my auto dimmers turned off because they are terrible, and generally cant use ACC because of snow and ice build up. the traffic sign recognition is forgettable. LKAS is ok in summer on clear roads only.

keep your civic

1 - 10 of 10 Posts