Gen 3 Insight Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I test drove a Honda Insight, as well as a Civic Hatchback yesterday. I was really impressed with the Insight, and am currently leaning towards it.

However I am a little worried about the car's ability to perform with additional weight, as it does not come with a spare tire standard.

My goal is to get something that is fuel efficient, good for daily commutes and comfortable for occasional road trips with my wife. My previous car was a 2013 Honda Fit, which was great for the city, but not great for long drives.

The dealer had a package for the spare tire, which as an additional $310. If I purchase the car, I would probably grab the spare tire too.

So what is your experience with additional weight in the insight? Is it slow? Does the fuel efficiency plummet?

Thanks!

-K

·
Super Moderator
2019 OWP Insight EX, 2021 PWP Insight EX
1,622 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum!

The additional weight of the spare tire is negligible. I have two Insights and have bought spares for both. If you want to look into a cheaper option, the 2016+ Civic spare fits the Insight. Call a local wrecking yard and they should be able to set you up with a kit. Mine cost ~$180.

As far as performance with additional weight, I've had no issues dragging my family of five up a large hill in my Insight. Just be aware that low HV battery will translate into more engine noise when pushed. It's not a bad thing, but may put some people off - especially since the engine noise does not match the throttle input.

Fuel efficiency goes down as speed rises. Anything over 65mph seems to take a bigger hit. Since the wheels drive via electric, torque is instant (and fun to experience). The top speed is 120mph (I believe one or two members of this forum have tried to test that).

I've purchased two insights so far (my son pilfered my first one when he got his license), and I'd happily do it again.

What trim level are you considering?

Reactions: Wilson

·
Registered
75 Posts
If you’re hauling heavier stuff or going over hills. Be sure to use sport mode. It keeps the battery over half full. So you get lots of torque when you need it. Mpg drops a few, but not too much.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the responses.

-Hasarad, I am looking at the EX trim for the Insight.

-All, Do you feel that the insight does well constantly with highway speeds? I have driven the fit for years, and I hate driving it on the highway. One thing I know about driving my wife's civic, is that it seems to accelerate well on the highway, and as such I don't feel like I am going to be crushed by other traffic.

On the day I test drove both Civic and Insight, there was quite a bit of traffic out, so I didn't get above 70 for very long in either car. It's really important that whatever I get is agile enough to handle regular highway driving.

Thanks for the input!

-K

·
Registered
34 Posts
Thanks for the responses.

-Hasarad, I am looking at the EX trim for the Insight.

-All, Do you feel that the insight does well constantly with highway speeds? I have driven the fit for years, and I hate driving it on the highway. One thing I know about driving my wife's civic, is that it seems to accelerate well on the highway, and as such I don't feel like I am going to be crushed by other traffic.

On the day I test drove both Civic and Insight, there was quite a bit of traffic out, so I didn't get above 70 for very long in either car. It's really important that whatever I get is agile enough to handle regular highway driving.

Thanks for the input!

-K

The Insight will always outperform the Civic, in the same circumstances, when it comes to fuel efficiency. It's also decently quick when passing on the highway. The only issue I have with my 2019 EX is that at speeds above 70MPH, the engine has a tendency of being noisy and droning. I would strongly suggest that you test both the Civic and Insight at speeds above 70MPH for at least 5 minutes to see if the engine noise is a deal breaker for you.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I have a 2019 Insight LX with a full spare, and I'm getting over 62 mpg right now. (of course, it goes down into the mid fifties during the winter). . .

1 - 6 of 6 Posts