Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone here noticing better MPG than the posted EPA rating for the Insight Touring trim? I'm currently shopping to replace my 2015 Subaru Legacy for the Insight Touring. I currently get about 28.5mpg on average (highway is around 36mpg), but I would like a smaller car because I drive by myself most of the time. I like the features in the Touring trim, so as long as I fit fine being 6'3" and my golf clubs fit in the trunk, I think this will be my next car!

·
Registered
455 Posts
So far I’d say out Touring has been right in the range they publish. Sometimes a little better, sometimes not. But with only 1100 miles and having only put gas in it twice it’s too soon to make any real judgement on it. We’ll be taking a 3500 mile road trip in the fall that will really be a great test.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Is anyone here noticing better MPG than the posted EPA rating for the Insight Touring trim? I'm currently shopping to replace my 2015 Subaru Legacy for the Insight Touring. I currently get about 28.5mpg on average (highway is around 36mpg), but I would like a smaller car because I drive by myself most of the time. I like the features in the Touring trim, so as long as I fit fine being 6'3" and my golf clubs fit in the trunk, I think this will be my next car!

Hey, DPC, before you end up purchasing an Insight I would do one particular thing (considering you are six feet three inches). I purchased an EX and I am five feet seven inches. Although I have the seat height up quite a bit to compensate for the low slung seating, I have DEFINITELY found that upon entering the vehicle, I consistently almost hit my head on the top of the door frame (while ducking down into the seat.). If I were you, I would set seat height upon test driving it and then practice ducking into the vehicle to see if you are comfortable.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Hey, DPC, before you end up purchasing an Insight I would do one particular thing (considering you are six feet three inches). I purchased an EX and I am five feet seven inches. Although I have the seat height up quite a bit to compensate for the low slung seating, I have DEFINITELY found that upon entering the vehicle, I consistently almost hit my head on the top of the door frame (while ducking down into the seat.). If I were you, I would set seat height upon test driving it and then practice ducking into the vehicle to see if you are comfortable.
The low seats take some getting used to for sure. Especially for someone like me who’s regularly driving a Jeep Wrangler. I’m 66 and still limber enough to get in and out of both cars, but I’m sure some older individuals would struggle. The passenger seat it low with no height adjustment available. Also, if you’re considering a Touring, be sure to sit in a Touring as it has a little less headroom.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm really glad I found this forum. I was contemplating getting an Insight Touring after my 16 Civic Touring lease was over. Unfortunately my Civic was t-boned (I am fine) about a month ago. The Civic was a joy to drive and reminded me of my old A4 I had years ago. It had great power and consistently got 35 mpg avg on a tank of gas (South Florida). On the highway it always got low to mid 40's going 65-70. Personally, I can't justify the $3k premium over the Civic because it would take many miles to earn it back in fuel savings. In the interim I have purchased a 2013 Prius V and I have averaged 50.3 mpg over 1,300 miles. I have test driven the Insight and it's very similar to the Civic. I would have to say the Insight has a slightly better ride and is quieter. I definitely will consider getting a used Insight after 3 years. At that time it will have depreciated to the same value as a Civic (maybe even less).

·
Super Moderator
3,328 Posts
I'm really glad I found this forum. I was contemplating getting an Insight Touring after my 16 Civic Touring lease was over. Unfortunately my Civic was t-boned (I am fine) about a month ago. The Civic was a joy to drive and reminded me of my old A4 I had years ago. It had great power and consistently got 35 mpg avg on a tank of gas (South Florida). On the highway it always got low to mid 40's going 65-70. Personally, I can't justify the $3k premium over the Civic because it would take many miles to earn it back in fuel savings. In the interim I have purchased a 2013 Prius V and I have averaged 50.3 mpg over 1,300 miles. I have test driven the Insight and it's very similar to the Civic. I would have to say the Insight has a slightly better ride and is quieter. I definitely will consider getting a used Insight after 3 years. At that time it will have depreciated to the same value as a Civic (maybe even less).
To clarify, are you saying that what you read on the forum helped you decide NOT to buy an Insight? Were there factors other than cost that deterred you from the Insight?

·
Registered
61 Posts
I don't know where this gentleman lives, but when I bought my Insight in mid December, by the time I got done horse trading back and forth, my Insight cost me $500.00 more than the best price I could get on a Civic. That made the decision real easy.

·
Super Moderator
3,328 Posts
I don't know where this gentleman lives, but when I bought my Insight in mid December, by the time I got done horse trading back and forth, my Insight cost me $500.00 more than the best price I could get on a Civic. That made the decision real easy.
Was this for comparable trims (e.g. Civic Touring vs Insight Touring)?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts