Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

Coolant below min line

10K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  andrew28 
#1 ·
So, I went to refill my washer fluid when I noticed that my coolant level was about an inch or two below the min line. I have about 1,400 miles on the car and I know wonder if it was like this from the factory or if there is something wrong. I have an appointment at the dealership tomorrow. I’m sure they’ll top it off and call it a day.

#2 ·
Have you noticed any leaks? If not, maybe it's 'just' your radiator cap that was loose and allowed evaporation (?). Least likely is that your coolant is getting burned and/or going into your oil. Also if it helps, with this being a hybrid, your engine wasn't running for the full 1400 miles driven so far...

#5 ·
It could have been a bubble in a coolant line when the car was originally filled, unlikely because I'm sure they fill it with a pre-measured amount but not impossible.

#6 · (Edited)

My Insight is 20 months old and at around 8,700 miles. Checked(during the morning before driving) my Engine Coolant Reserve Tank and noticed half of it is gone. The Inverter Coolant Filler Tank is near max from what I can tell. Going to bring it up with the dealership whenever I go do the fuel pump recall.

#7 ·
My Insight is 20 months old and at around 8,700 miles. Checked(during the morning before driving) my Engine Coolant Reserve Tank and noticed half of it is gone. The Inverter Coolant Filler Tank is near max from what I can tell. Going to bring it up with the dealership whenever I go do the fuel pump recall.
I'm curious to learn where the coolant level was once the car was warmed up.I don't have my reserve tank in front of me, so I don't know if the line below the shown coolant level is the min line or not. If it is, I don't think you have an issue. If you're indeed low (below min) at 8,700 miles, I'd be concerned regardless of the 20-month age. The reserve/overflow tank should never be full with a cold engine.

#16 ·
That's exactly where my level was also. They topped it up at the dealership during an oil change and it never went down again! I agree also do not be worried. I was initially very worried about it but that was way back around 60,000 and I am now at 137,000 and it's never moved again, and no issues whatsoever!
PS Don't let them charge you for it or try to tell you that you need a coolant exchange. For a few ounces like that they should top it off free esp if you go to the place you bought it. I wouldn't even tell them you are worried about it because they'll probably try to sell you something. Coolant exchange didn't show up in maintenance minder until around roughly 120,000 for my car. If they top if off and it it goes back down again then it would be a concern, but make sure you always check it at the same engine temperature because it can vary based on engine temperature. I think this is normal for this car, there are a lot of places the coolant has to go to (including the inverter and heater core) and it seems like some air gets in the system at production.

#15 ·
Worry not worth it. You need to top up, remember the level and observe. Just remember two things
1.Cold liquids reduce volume. If the level was checked in the summer, then in the winter it will definitely be lower on a cold car.
2. The composition of the cooling liquid includes water, and it tends to evaporate. And the cooling system is not a completely closed system, there is a communication with air.

But it's worth watching.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.